Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by emailman View Post
    I am going to turn off the GPS and try again tomorrow. This is Sprint's 30 guarantee, so I do not want to buy any accessories for it.
    One other recommendation that might help, without having to buy anything extra. Take your cord to work with you. You can plug it into a USB port on your computer at the office, and charge from that.

Just don't leave it at work when you go home. That's what convinced me I needed another...
    everyone's comments are right on. One thing I didn't see mentioned was to change your email download intervals from 1 hour to As Items Arrive. That should help save a bit more battery life.
    I'm also going to guess that the FlightView app will drain my battery too huh? LOL!

I'm tracking my husband's flight and this is a great app.
    battery life sucks pretty universally on smartphones. the Pre is getting better with each new firmware update. I suggest having a charger at work and a spare battery in case your battery dies anywhere in between. And in regards to blackberry, the Storm actually has pretty terrible battery life and overall rim just has some abysmal software.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Once again, thanks for all the comments!
    I am going to bring my cord to work and charge it on my pc while I am sitting in my office.

Bottomline is that I will have to make the choice of battery life vs coolest phone I have ever used.

I have till the end of may when all my lines are up at ATT, I will have time to think...
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    I am going to bring my cord to work and charge it on my pc while I am sitting in my office.

Bottomline is that I will have to make the choice of battery life vs coolest phone I have ever used.

I have till the end of may when all my lines are up at ATT, I will have time to think...
    Do keep in mind that you can buy larger capacity (but same physical size), after-market batteries for the Palm Pre+ for impressively cheap prices.

The Seidio Innocell 1350mAh battery is sold here on precentral for about $40, but is likely also available on ebay for a bit less.

The Amzer SmartCell 1400mAh battery is also around in various locations on the net.

Both of these look to give you a real-world gain of about 15-20% battery power without adding any additional thickness to the device. So if the Pre+ ends up almost satisfying your usage requirements, definitely take a look at your options before making a final decision.

One caveat with charging from your PC is that power-hungry apps such as one that streams music may still drain the battery faster than it can charge.

If you're going to bring your charging cable from home, might as well bring the adapter as well since you can't use it if you leave the cable at work anyway.
    The Pre is awsome don't get me wrong. When I leave the house it's like I have to have my pre in one hand, and my touchstone in the other.
    Well, hopefully the battery got better after a few charge cycles I'm a firm believer in using the 2600mAh Siedio battery except for long drives - when I use the touchstone as a "car kit" to hold my Pre.

I've found that it helps to turn off the GPS function (as others have suggested) because each app that uses location services will still prompt you to let them access the GPS radio. I use a Garmin for actual GPS duty. Not something I personally want on my phone.

I also found the 800mhz kernel patch actuall improved battery life a little bit - it seems that the CPU goes back to idle quicker or the radio goes to idle quicker because tasks complete sooner? Dunno why.

I leave wifi off unless I need it. In the office, I don't need it because I am in front of a PC. Other places I don't often have access to wifi at all, so that is something I leave off most of the time.

The thing I find most people (including me) is they play with the thing all day because it's so cool, and they don't even realize it. For example, unlocking the display just to flick some cards around -and letting the display time out after a minute or two. Once I really thought about it, I was pounding the browser, app catalog, preware, etc much harder than I thought. It's just too much fun to play with.

Also, games like multiplayer poker seem to really use a lot of power - apparently to instantly update every player.

I also have it check for email every hour or two. That's easier for me because I don't (am not allowed to) access corporate e-mail with my Pre, and I don't need instant access to my personal e-mail. As a habit, if I use my pre for another task I will usually hit "refresh" on my email so I get my email plenty fast.

I'm curious if I am paying a battery penalty for background updates I get from facebook, woot.com, etc. Anyone know?

Battery power is a problem for all smartphones, so I have just decided to get the accessories needed for emergencies (external charger for my stock battery while using the extended life battery) and remembering to charge it every evening when I sit down for dinner.

When I used my BB Curve for everything, I only got a couple of days. Now that I only use it for email (company requires it) I get 2 or 4.

But, I find the Pre+ to be such a pleasure to use, and the call quality do good that I am willing to put up with the battery. All of my iPhone friends get much worse life than I do.

Every time we pick a place for coffee or lunch, they are picking places that they know will have wall outlets they can sit next to. That is pathetic, and they can't swap in a fresh battery like I can.

Probably not the answer you want, but I think you will find that the battery life of the current crop of smartphones (Droid/iPhone/Pre) are about the same.

Also, on the battery front - there is a guy that lurks around these forums that will take the the Touch Stone internals out of your standard phone back and put them in the extended battery back that comes with the big batteries such as the Siedio 2600mAh that I have. He charges $50. (I think his name is Steve. You can search the forum and find his thread).

I plan to buy a spare touchstone back for my Pre+ and then let him use that one for the parts. At that point, the only time I will use my "thin" battery is when I'm planning to show my phone off to my Droid and iPhoney friends. That's because it feels so good in their hands. Smae reason I use the iPhone iCons theme. I want it to look and feel familiar so they don't get distracted from the amazing capabilities of the phone.

I know you don't want to try any of this on the Sprint phone, but it might be useful to build confidence that you will want to buy a few toys when you finally get a Pre to keep.

I spent way more on accessories and apps than I did for the phone. But, that's true of my iPhone and Droid friends too. You can't take it with you!

Also, remember that if you buy apps on your sprint Pre, they should transfer and automatically install on your next Pre if you use the same Palm profile... I think that's really cool!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12