Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    With Apple and Microsoft showing there hands soon, will palm do a hardware refresh for their at&t launch? I tried my cousins sprint pre for the first time and if the at&t pre is anything like the sprint one i won't be getting a webos phone soon. It was very slow and got "too many cards" errors all the time. Hopefully more ram fixed that? But I really don't see the point of buying yesterday's phone when tommorow's phone is right around the corner. no slingplayer, no kinoma play, no free (or one time pay) voice nav, no voice dial, no biblereader4. The cons are starting to outweigh the pros for palm. Hopefully palm will refresh the hardware and give us a nice os bump when it comes out on at&t. Because they don't have the cards to save them now. I hope they have a ace up their sleeve cause if they don't, they're folding. Google, Apple and Microsoft have all doubled down and I need better hardware before I go "all in" on palm
    Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    In all honesty, palm will end up failing most likely.

They have blown far too many key opportunities to turn the tables and failed miserably every single time. I mean they didn't get 1 chance, they got 2, and then 3, and blew all of them.

At this point Nexus One will be on all carriers, possibly the iPhone, and you have the HTC EVO 4G coming to Sprint. Palm fans, such as myself, have even started moving on. I've accepted Palm probably won't come out with a device that will compete against the EVO 4G or even the new iPhone in terms of hardware quality. I didn't realize how important hardware quality was until I got my Pre, boy does it fail in that department.

Palm needs to sell off WebOS to a company that can do something with it because at this point it is very clear they are simply too small to compete with giants.
    Holy negativity in this thread. Palm is a small payer when compared to Microsoft / Google / Apple but what it lacks in size, it makes up in devotion of fan loyalty. I constantly see threads like this (and it should be moved), people forget the original Pre is a year old and the Pre Plus does fix a lot of the problems of the original Pre. As for being out of the game, not yet. Their is to much invested to just fold and its stock prices have even risen as of late. Palm has enough cash to make it through the year and maybe put out one more phone. I for one have had a Pre since October and it is the best thing since my G1. Remember Motorola was in worse shape then Palm and they made a come back, maybe with one more chance Palm can too. Seriously compare apples to apples not oranges
    Back to your bridge evil troll you have no powers here.
    Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PIKCACHU20 View Post
    Holy negativity in this thread. Palm is a small payer when compared to Microsoft / Google / Apple but what it lacks in size, it makes up in devotion of fan loyalty. I constantly see threads like this (and it should be moved), people forget the original Pre is a year old and the Pre Plus does fix a lot of the problems of the original Pre. As for being out of the game, not yet. Their is to much invested to just fold and its stock prices have even risen as of late. Palm has enough cash to make it through the year and maybe put out one more phone. I for one have had a Pre since October and it is the best thing since my G1. Remember Motorola was in worse shape then Palm and they made a come back, maybe with one more chance Palm can too. Seriously compare apples to apples not oranges
    I hope they do come back, but if they put out more trash hardware (i havent used the Plus) I won't be buying it.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Been a long time stock investor with Palm, but just recently jumped ship. This is mainly due to the falling stock price, but also the Apple iPhone 4.0 OS announcement on April 8th.

Chances are it will hurt Palm's stock, even if it isn't groundbreaking.

As I'm waiting in Canada for my own phone choice, Android doesn't appeal to me and neither does Windows 7. Blackberry doesn't really have an OS, but I look forward to what they may have in the future. webOS, if it were available on my carrier, I'd still snag even if the outlook was bleak for the company. Right now I'm on the fringe between webOS (not available) and an iphone (too many restrictions).
    Quote Originally Posted by digink View Post
    I hope they do come back, but if they put out more trash hardware (i havent used the Plus) I won't be buying it.
    The Pre wasn't "trash" hardware when it came out. In fact, it was fairly "middle of the line". Not "great", but in no way "trashy".
    ATT is Pre Plus where as the Sprint Pre is the original. Won't get the too many cards issue.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

could it be the OS is trash (on a design standpoint)?

I mean... when everyone talks about WebOS and how they are in love with it... they primary talk about the front end.. the gui... and yes, it multitasks.

but maybe the architecture of the os was just not designed for the things all these phones now can do and having problems adapting.

i think when the idea of webos was out, apple was wanting to create web-based apps and that was suppose to be the future and palm could probably do that within their card flicking world. webos was suppose to use 'web' based tech like ajax and javascript for their apps. apple goes native because the people demanded it and then people want the same apps on the pre and cant do it without some changes.

they are asking their phone/os to do more than they imagined... that's why no gpu support and all that.

Everyone is waiting for Pre2... but I think the real need is WebOS 2.0... I wouldnt be surprised if the entire OS is overhauled... if not now then eventual because even the current hardware specs doesnt point to trash.

Quote Originally Posted by callmechewy View Post
    The Pre wasn't "trash" hardware when it came out. In fact, it was fairly "middle of the line". Not "great", but in no way "trashy".
  9.    #9  
    I'm just hoping that they haven't released a date on at&t because the hardware isn't finalized and they want to wait and see microsoft and apples hand first because they put the pre and pixi plus on at&t. hopefully we'll get the next gen pre instead of the standard pre and pixi plus
    So many people take stabs at the hardware.

What the Pre is

Slide-out key pad with rounded edges, fit in your palm, one hand functionality, slip in your pocket device.

What the Pre is not:

Any other phone on the market.

The reason there are compromises with the hardware is so you can gain all the advantages I spoke of above. After using my Pre for almost a year, the feel of any other device feels like brick. Try sliding a Droid or HD Touch in your pocket, Try replacing the battery on the iPhone.

It's amazing that before the announcement of the original Pre at CES most people were holding on to their Treo's wondering if there would be another refresh or an updated OS. Look where they have come.

The hardware is not as refined as I would like to feel. But take note, Palm does not have the financial backing that Apple, MS and Google have. Palm is manufacturing the best product they can with little reserve to make a profit. People complain about this and that, but stop to realize that Android and Apple have taken notice. Some of the core abilities of WebOS are starting to be available via 3rd party apps. The Palm Pre is the absolute best device for its money (Out of box)

Many posts on here complain about cheap hardware. I honestly can say the feel of the pre in my hands is the most elegant device I have ever felt. All other smart phones feel like....well phones.

Proud Palm Pre Owner - Purchase Date June 6th, 2009. (original hardware)
    Doesn't matter what apple or ms announce... Too late at this point to make major changes. Apple doesn't just whip up stuff like that... 4th gen tested the moment 3rd gen released... Probably earlier.

Palm can't even get a mic API out right now... You think they can handle any type of spec change now whatever apple unveils?
    Quote Originally Posted by treogangsta View Post
    I'm just hoping that they haven't released a date on at&t because the hardware isn't finalized and they want to wait and see microsoft and apples hand first because they put the pre and pixi plus on at&t. hopefully we'll get the next gen pre instead of the standard pre and pixi plus
    The problem is that they have already shown the ATT Pre/Pixi Plus models. The hardware is the same. I too wish that a new model was forthcoming, but I think it's likely not going to happen before October.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by treogangsta View Post
    With Apple and Microsoft It was very slow and got "too many cards" errors all the time.
    - My Pre is fast at least by my opinion. And I have never eveer gott a TOO MANY CARDS error.

Quote Originally Posted by digink View Post
    My Pre is rock solid. I have a slight oreo effect but everyone I know who has a slide phone has a bit of an oreo effect. I've dropped my phone countless times (I'm a clumsy person at times) and not even a scratch. However I'm not saying that there are some out there that haven't had the luck I have had.
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    could it be the OS is trash (on a design standpoint)?

I mean... when everyone talks about WebOS and how they are in love with it... they primary talk about the front end.. the gui... and yes, it multitasks.

but maybe the architecture of the os was just not designed for the things all these phones now can do and having problems adapting.

i think when the idea of webos was out, apple was wanting to create web-based apps and that was suppose to be the future and palm could probably do that within their card flicking world. webos was suppose to use 'web' based tech like ajax and javascript for their apps. apple goes native because the people demanded it and then people want the same apps on the pre and cant do it without some changes.

they are asking their phone/os to do more than they imagined... that's why no gpu support and all that.

Everyone is waiting for Pre2... but I think the real need is WebOS 2.0... I wouldnt be surprised if the entire OS is overhauled... if not now then eventual because even the current hardware specs doesnt point to trash.
    I agree. a lot of people point to the Pre and say it is slow, that plam should have incorporated a faster processor, more RAM, etc. what some people fail to see is that WebOS is slow, because it is a web based OS and because of the multitasking.

Even with a 1gHz processor, WebOS as it is now would still be slower than the iPhone and driod as they are now.
    Fine, let Apple and Microsoft show their hands. Palm could just surprise everyone this summer with a new device that came out of no where. If they really do learn from their mistakes, it's that announcing the Pre 6 months prior to launch does some harm when 1) the excitement gradually cools off, and 2) Apple goes ahead and threw in universal search and copy&paste to keep up. If they do have some serious innovation up their sleeves, they could at most just hint at "some newness is coming soon", or stay silent. Then pull off the "release right after announcement" trick Steve Jobs was so good at.

There, that's the positive view. There's enough negativity here that I don't have to restate.

One thing, I don't think it would ever matter if the Nexus One is available on any carrier. As long as it's only available on line through Google, it would be a niche item. People who just walk into wireless carrier stores would get phones such as an iPhone or Droid (or Pre, if only the sells people stop pushing customers away from it) instead, and that's how most of the public buy phones.
    if you don't like the phone **** off gg no re
    UK PRE USER
    Quote Originally Posted by htabbach View Post
    I agree. a lot of people point to the Pre and say it is slow, that plam should have incorporated a faster processor, more RAM, etc. what some people fail to see is that WebOS is slow, because it is a web based OS and because of the multitasking.

Even with a 1gHz processor, WebOS as it is now would still be slower than the iPhone and driod as they are now.
    WebOS isn't slow. Use the 800mhz patch and then tell me webOS is slow

The iPhone feels fast because of the GPU acceleration. Palm can do this, they just haven't. I don't believe Android is GPU accelerated in the UI either.

The 500mhz processor in the Pre is too slow when it has to calculate animations, IO, sound, and other instructions. As the 800mhz patch indicates, the CPU and I/O speed of the Pre are its bottlenecks.

Would native apps run faster? Yes. But webOS itself is not slow at all. The specs of the Pre itself is the problem.
    Developer of:

-------------------------------------
    Discuss my apps in my developer forum
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev1000000 View Post
    WebOS isn't slow. Use the 800mhz patch and then tell me webOS is slow

The iPhone feels fast because of the GPU acceleration. Palm can do this, they just haven't. I don't believe Android is GPU accelerated in the UI either.

The 500mhz processor in the Pre is too slow when it has to calculate animations, IO, sound, and other instructions. As the 800mhz patch indicates, the CPU and I/O speed of the Pre are its bottlenecks.

Would native apps run faster? Yes. But webOS itself is not slow at all. The specs of the Pre itself is the problem.

I do have the patch installed and yes, it is slower than the iPhone and the Driod with the patch installed.
    palm will die!
    there was a time (a few months ago) when people on this board swore the pre could never ever run need for speed...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast