Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1.    #1  
    Is there a better virtual keyboard available then the one in preware? It is ok and I apreciate it being there but it is somewhat slow/not responsive. Also, when switching between landscape and portrait it hangs and won't go awa.
  2. #2  
    no there aren't any better vkbs the ones in the app store open like seperate apps and suck the preware vkb is great normally but try the 800mhz patch and it runs smoothly
  3. #3  
    i was also going to say that the VKB is a whole other beast with the 800 patch.
  4. #4  
    somebody needs to port swype and solve all the problems
  5. dunivan's Avatar
    Posts
    108 Posts
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    #5  
    i would rather have VKB. I lost it when i updated to 1.4.1 and my phone lost alot of its luster. I use it primarily in a text messaging enviroment, and cannot live without it.

    if only they would get rid of the moving button and the theme button i would love it even more
  6. #6  
    Im still hoping for a T9 version or something that allows for easy 1 handed use
  7. #7  
    Actually, I do not understand why Palm is not able to provide VKB themselves including several languages. Think it is a nobrainer and not hard to implement.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmonday73 View Post
    Actually, I do not understand why Palm is not able to provide VKB themselves including several languages. Think it is a nobrainer and not hard to implement.
    It's were the priorities lay, with the Pixi there is absolutely no reason you shouldn't just use the physical keyboard, less so with the Pre. It simply seems like Palm put a physical keyboard and can't understand why anyone would go for a virtual keyboard which would be inferior.

    Now it is possible they may announce a new phone and update with a virtual keyboard, but I'd bet they are working on voice recognition (as they do have the beginning libraries for it) for the next release.

    I would imagine unless Palm decides to go for a slab for their next phone (unlikely but plausible) you won't be seeing a built in virtual keyboard, it really isn't needed and like everyone else said, at 800Mhz the patch vk is very good.
  9. #9  
    well before you say that you have to look at what palm has been doing which is trying to get webos to a functional state and frankly a vkb isn't a priority when they can barely get webos stable enough to run 3d games without restarts
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    ...It simply seems like Palm put a physical keyboard and can't understand why anyone would go for a virtual keyboard which would be inferior
    inferior, sure, but very convenient! Using one hand to reply without having to open the slider is very convenient. Sometimes a quick chat message response or txt message - why go through the motions of having to open the slider if you dont need to? Terribly inconvenient, no, but anything helps... some people like virtual keyboards better anyway. I personally do not prefer the virtual keyboards, but I know some people who do.
  11. #11  
    Honestly, the Pre virtual Keyboard would be a lot more usable with a better autocorrection system.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    It's were the priorities lay, with the Pixi there is absolutely no reason you shouldn't just use the physical keyboard, less so with the Pre. It simply seems like Palm put a physical keyboard and can't understand why anyone would go for a virtual keyboard which would be inferior.

    Now it is possible they may announce a new phone and update with a virtual keyboard, but I'd bet they are working on voice recognition (as they do have the beginning libraries for it) for the next release.

    I would imagine unless Palm decides to go for a slab for their next phone (unlikely but plausible) you won't be seeing a built in virtual keyboard, it really isn't needed and like everyone else said, at 800Mhz the patch vk is very good.
    I'm talking especially about other languages than english which need different letters. Here, the VKB is an improvement. And sometimes it is because you don't want to slide for a short message all the time.

    With 1.4.1.1. the VKB doesn't work anymore and it is a hazzle to patchwork all the time your phone. You might have it for some time or not. I get more and more upset that Palm is unable to improve convenience which would be key to get a broader market access.

    The speed of VKB was always sufficient for me. 800 is a nice gimmick.

    This saying I appreciate the great work here by many. However, it would be Palm's task to do so.

    If a new phone is the only solution, given my current experience, it wouldn't be a Palm anymore. The Pre I have has sufficient potential which is still unused.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by igobytony View Post
    i was also going to say that the VKB is a whole other beast with the 800 patch.
    I am not sure if we are using the same vkb then, because the one in Preware has a lot of bugs. no auto correction, it is very easy to mistype and the very known issue of closing the vkb from another field than the one you launched it from. the later makes the vkb unusable in any app but the text messaging app.

    I still think that given the limitaion, the developer has done a gret job with this vbk
  14. #14  
    look at it this way, ive learn to try to use vkb, and got the hang of it, i do have the 720 patch, and no lag in typing but it really need an auto correct,,,,lol,,,,,man i cant wait for a bigger screen!!!!!!

Posting Permissions