Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Has anyone tried using an Eye-Fi card with Mobile Hotspot through the Pre? I've been tempted to get one of the new X2 series... even more now that MHS is free. I don't see why it wouldn't work, since it's been shown to work with Verizon's MiFi and Sprint's Overdrive hotspot devices. It would be killer to share a few pics from my digicam from anywhere w/ no extra devices or cables.
    Visor Platinum > Treo 90 > Clie PEG-NR70V > another Treo 90 > BB Pearl 8130 > Pre Plus
    I see nobody responded, did you end up buying the Eye-Fi and if you did, how does it work with the MHS?
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Not yet, but I'll report back when I do. Good to know I'm not the only person curious about this.
    OK, so I bought the Eye-Fi x2 8GB this weekend from Best Buy for $99. It took no time to configure it to my home network and then even less time to connect through my Verizon Palm Pre. The Eye-Fi comes with a card reader that you plug into your computer (Mac OS 10.6.3 for me) to configure the card and download the "Eye-Fi Center" software to your computer. I setup a storage account with SmugMug Photo & Video Sharing and configured the card to send pictures to my laptop when its on, or buffer them to SmugMug when it's not. I took my camera (Nikon D5000) around the house and neighborhood while taking 12.3 MP sized pictures. It loaded them right onto my laptop as I was taking them without any problems. As I got further away from my house and out of range of my home network, I heard the Palm Pre Mobile Hotspot connect to the Eye-Fi and take over for my home network. When I got back, all of the pics had loaded. I was only playing with it around home, but I don't anticipate any surprises elsewhere as the Pre loaded the pics without any problems.

I also downloaded two Apps onto the Pre that integrate very well with the SmugMug site. "Pixelpipe" which lets you upload pictures from your Pre to just about every picture hosting site out there and "smBrowse" which allows you to view and download your pictures on the SmugMug site to your Pre. I really like the SmugMug site because I have it setup to receive pictures from my camera and also from my Pre and the storage is unlimited for $40/year.

smBrowse is free in the App Catalog:
    Palm USA | Palm webOS Applications | Mobile apps that go further.

Pixelpipe is $ 0.99:
    Palm USA | Palm webOS Applications | Mobile apps that go further.