Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Does leaving the pre charged at 100% eventually lead to a decreased battery life once unplugged? I recall from the earlier days that leaving a phone charged overnight usually kills the longevity of the battery.

is this the case with the pre as well? I heard the droid has some type of mechanism where @100% is stops charging.

thanks
    Its actually better to keep it fully charged. With the Pre, once it hits 100%, it actually lets it decrease to something like 93% or so and then starts charging again. you won't see that on the display, but that is what is happening behind the scenes. So, you can never really trust the batter like when it's in the 90%s because it could drop from 100% to 90% very quickly, but that was just because it was only at 94% or so when you took it over the charger.

but these types of batteries are better to keep charged. the only exception is that its also a good idea to totally drain the battery once a month or so and then fully charge it..
    Quote Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
    Its actually better to keep it fully charged. With the Pre, once it hits 100%, it actually lets it decrease to something like 93% or so and then starts charging again. you won't see that on the display, but that is what is happening behind the scenes. So, you can never really trust the batter like when it's in the 90%s because it could drop from 100% to 90% very quickly, but that was just because it was only at 94% or so when you took it over the charger.

but these types of batteries are better to keep charged. the only exception is that its also a good idea to totally drain the battery once a month or so and then fully charge it..
    I agree, but I think it stops around 95-96% instead. Everything else is right though. There is a UI Battery level and a Actual Battery level. UI is what it shows, and Actual is... well what it actually is.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    No. It is NOT good to keep it fully charged. I'll find my post I made about Lithium-Ion (which the Pre has) batteries a while back. One sec.

Edited: I couldn't find my post and I don't feel like typing all of it out, but there is some information on Wikipedia. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

"At a 100% charge level, a typical Li-ion laptop battery that is full most of the time at 25 C or 77 F will irreversibly lose approximately 20% capacity per year. However, a battery in a poorly ventilated laptop may be subject to prolonged exposure to higher temperatures, which will shorten its life. Different storage temperatures produce different loss results: 6% loss at 0 C (32 F), 20% at 25 C (77 F), and 35% at 40 C (104 F). When stored at 40%–60% charge level, the capacity loss is reduced to 2%, 4%, 15% at 0, 25 and 40 degrees Celsius respectively."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium...ery#Shelf_life
    Last edited by Reign25; 04/05/2010 at 01:50 PM.
    Twitter: @Eddie255