Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am having an issue with my pre. I have the 800 Mhz patch on my phone and over the weekend my phone installed the update by itself. I caught it in the middle of installing the update and I could not stop it from installing. So without really thinking anything through I just popped out the battery. Now my phone will not turn on. On the sceen all I see it Palm and the back light will flash behind the Palm letters.

Have a fried my Pre??? I am thinking about taking it to Sprint and trying to get a new phone. But I do not want to pay the $100. I had had it for less than 30 days so hopefully they will just swap it out. Can this be fixed by me or is the phone fried?
    Well, I am not too knowledgeable about the 800Mhz patches;
    But the only suggestion i have is to doctor your phone, and that will be what many people suggest you to do.
    I would wait for a second opinion though. Good Luck
    pop the battery out during an update wow!
    You can doctor it. Pull the battery, plug it into your PC wait for it to have battery with ?. Then hold the up volume button while putting the battery in and your Pre should be ready to be doctored(should show USB connector icon).
    Yeah, if you pulled the battery during an update, you'll probablt have to Doctor.

Luckily, Doctoring is not hard... you will lose some data (text messages, etc...) but most things like contacts, and downloaded applications are saved in your Palm Profile so you won't lose those.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    same thing happened to my friend, pulled battery out mid update with 800 mhz. we had to webOS doctor his phone back to life. its not fried its perfectly fine, you just need to make an appointment with the Dr.
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    I haven't read the screen messages while installing updates in a long time, but doesn't it specifically say not to pull the battery while installing? I realize your concern about the 800 MHz patch, but if this had been a more sizable update and you timed the battery pull just wrong, you would have a very bricked Pre. Most patches, including the 800 MHZ patch, wont cause a bricked phone after installing an update. The update process only makes changes where changes are needed. So if palm wanted to throw a wrench in the 800MHz patch, they would need to update the specific area that the patch was installed. Still, you should uninstall it when an update is released because of the auto-update and possibility of mayhem.
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Honis View Post
    I haven't read the screen messages while installing updates in a long time, but doesn't it specifically say not to pull the battery while installing? I realize your concern about the 800 MHz patch, but if this had been a more sizable update and you timed the battery pull just wrong, you would have a very bricked Pre. Most patches, including the 800 MHZ patch, wont cause a bricked phone after installing an update. The update process only makes changes where changes are needed. So if palm wanted to throw a wrench in the 800MHz patch, they would need to update the specific area that the patch was installed. Still, you should uninstall it when an update is released because of the auto-update and possibility of mayhem.

Yup it does say not to pull the battery out. I read that as I was in the motion of pulling the battery out...saw it a half a second to late.
  9.    #9  
    Thanks for the advice. Ill Doctor it after work
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    The doctor appointment went well and you now have a healthy Pre again. Glad that my first time doctoring was on someone else's phone.
    wow that was ballsy of you, even after it says not to turn off or pull battery
  12.    #12  
    Ok so we doctored my phone but now it will not let me download any apps. It says that I have too many and to delete some. But the problem is that I do not have any extra apps to delete. I only have a few pictures and about 5 songs on the phone.

Anyone else have this problem or does anyone know how to fix it. Or should I just bring the thing back to sprint and get a new one?
  13.    #13  
    any ideas on the app problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by ram03reg View Post
    any ideas on the app problem?
    Did you update to the latest WebOS version after Doctoring?
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Did you update to the latest WebOS version after Doctoring?
    yup
    yup
    Hmm... I'd say redoctor the phone and try again. Sometimes it take a few Doctors to be perfect again lol
  17.    #17  
    Ok ill try that tonight.. pain in the ****
    This raises an interesting point from the 1.4.0 update. I found myself in nearly an identical situation where I was downloading the update & hadn't removed the overclock patch. To my relief, after the update downloaded it gave the option to install or not install. At that point I removed the patch and then went back & ran the install.

Sooo...You do get one last opportunity to remove the patch even after the update starts downloading.
  19.    #19  
    Yes, it downloaded to my phone but I told it not to install until later. But when I charged the phone it stated to install the update.
    Ok so we doctored my phone but now it will not let me download any apps. It says that I have too many and to delete some. But the problem is that I do not have any extra apps to delete. I only have a few pictures and about 5 songs on the phone.

Anyone else have this problem or does anyone know how to fix it. Or should I just bring the thing back to sprint and get a new one?
    Try preforming these actions before running the webOS doctor again

1. On Windows ensure hidden folders are set to be shown (Tools>Folder Options>View>Show Hidden Files and Folders)
    2. Delete the .app-storage area (if one exists)
    3. Delete the .palm folder
    4. Eject the phone

Once these folders are deleted your apps will all have to restore (it will happen automatically and you will be given a warning when the phone comes out of USB Mode). You should be able to download apps again just fine.

Please let me know the outcome of preforming these steps.

--HardBeatZ
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast