1.    #1  
    Hi,

I've been using MyTether for a couple months, but when Verizon made Hotspot free last week, I decided to switch.

First, YES - I've searched this forum and have not found a definitive solution to my problem.

Second, the problem: I can't connect to the internet even though HotSpot is running and my netbook can connect to my Pre Plus. I uninstalled MyTether, rebooted the phone, but the problem persists. I tried deleting the HotSpot app so that I can reinstall it, but it seems that it can't be uninstalled (built into the ROM?).

Any suggestions? Did installing MyTether a couple months ago break the HotSpot app?

I know I'm not the only one having this problem. Help!
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetPete View Post
    Hi,

I've been using MyTether for a couple months, but when Verizon made Hotspot free last week, I decided to switch.

First, YES - I've searched this forum and have not found a definitive solution to my problem.

Second, the problem: I can't connect to the internet even though HotSpot is running and my netbook can connect to my Pre Plus. I uninstalled MyTether, rebooted the phone, but the problem persists. I tried deleting the HotSpot app so that I can reinstall it, but it seems that it can't be uninstalled (built into the ROM?).

Any suggestions? Did installing MyTether a couple months ago break the HotSpot app?

I know I'm not the only one having this problem. Help!
    1st are you a Verizon customer?
    which version of Mytether do/did you have?
  3.    #3  
    Oops, sorry. Yes, with Verizon (Pre Plus). Was using MyTether 2.4.0 (or whatever the latest version was).
    you may want to use WOSQIS and under device management and make sure the following is uninstalled as well: the Tethering service ...its installed by MyTether, remove that from your phone and then do a full reboot...that hopefully resolves your problem.
    Hello,
    Sometime back after installing 1.4 My Tether stopped working I re-installed it and nothing happens after installing 1.4.1 My Tether completely disappeared, when i go to my tether installer. It says I have installed it but it does not show up on my icons. Any suggestions would really help. Thank you..
  6.    #6  
    Retroblu,

I tried WebOS Quick Installer as you described, but under Device Management, it's not showing any apps or patches (I haven't installed any patches). Any more ideas?
    @katzme...i had the same problem w/ 1.4 frackin MyTether, and when i tried to run the installer again, same problem...ran the uninstall and restarted, problem persisted...used WOSQI to remove the tethering service that was left..restared and ran MyTether installer again, also make sure you have good reception on your phone when doing the install.

@sweetpete...i just got the actual name, its called: Service to control various tethering ...it should've been there...try install MyTether again and see if that service is installed or not, and after installing MyTether see if it will let you tether or not, and go from there.

----------------
    Now playing: Fall Out Boy - I've Got a Dark Alley and a Bad Idea That Says You Should Shut Your Mouth (Summer Song)
    via FoxyTunes
  8.    #8  
    Retroblu,

Ok, reinstalled MyTether, which works fine ie. I can connect to the net with my netbook. I stopped MyTether, started Hotspot, same old problem. I then uninstalled the "Service to control various tethering" and MyTether, rebooted the phone, and same old problem with Hotspot.
    sweetpete,

curious how you uninstalled MyTether, did you use WOSQI or the uninstall button in Tether Real Installer, since im not sure how Tether Real Installer affects the webOS files and how WOSQI would modify or change those files back to there original state since MyTether is installed by the Tether Real Installer and not through WOSQI.

If you arent using Tether Real Installer to uninstall than i would suggest reinstall restart, verify MyTether works and then uninstall using Tether Real Installer, but out side of these suggestions and since i dont have a VZ Pre i cant really troubleshoot, also have you tried using the Repair Utility?...last few things i can think of trying before saying go see the Dr.

I check mytether.net and couldnt really find anything on the hotspot app and MyTether not co-existing except that it(MHS) sux so i dont know...kinda running out of ideas...oh heres another one in the phone app preferences turn Data Roaming on if its off...could help who knows...

UPDATE: just realized after launching tether real installer that there isnt an uninstall button(been a while since i had to use it) an i guess there hasnt been an uninstall button since maybe 2.0.4, huh...well if you have an older version of mytether installer try using that to uninstall...who knows..
    ----------------
    Now playing: Jeana Leslie & Siobhan Miller - Burning of Auchindoun/Pint of Wine
    via FoxyTunes
    Last edited by retroblu; 04/05/2010 at 01:34 PM. Reason: update:
    I had the same problem. My solution was to doctor my pre plus. i tried deleting mytether app but it didn't work. Full erase and full secure erase, nada. I dont think there is an official uninstall for mytether. I can be wrong.

it's working now after the doctor. I guess there was something installed by mytether that changed the configuration for MHS.

note: I have tested both speeds in the same area and mhs is a lot faster in my location. I get a max of .98mbps using mytether and I get 1.78mbps with MHS. those were the download speeds BTW
    Last edited by johnj2803; 04/05/2010 at 01:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnj2803 View Post
    I had the same problem. My solution was to doctor my pre plus. i tried deleting mytether app but it didn't work. Full erase and full secure erase, nada. I dont think there is an official uninstall for mytether. I can be wrong.

it's working now after the doctor. I guess there was something installed by mytether that changed the configuration for MHS.

note: I have tested both speeds in the same area and mhs is a lot faster in my location. I get a max of .98mbps using my tether and I get 1.78mbps with mytether. those were the download speeds BTW
    yea it seems that since MyTether 2.0.4 the uninstall button is no longer there, but in regards to your speed test if mytether is 1.78mbps that seems faster than .98mbps...but also notice you say my tether for one and mytether for the other

----------------
    Now playing: Federico Aubele - Maria Jose
    via FoxyTunes
    Quote Originally Posted by retroblu View Post
    yea it seems that since MyTether 2.0.4 the uninstall button is no longer there, but in regards to your speed test if mytether is 1.78mbps that seems faster than .98mbps...but also notice you say my tether for one and mytether for the other

----------------
    Now playing: Federico Aubele - Maria Jose
    via FoxyTunes
    oops i think i was thinking too fast

MHS is 1.78mbps while mytether is .98mbps
  13.    #13  
    Ok, problem solved. As john2803 stated, I ran WebOSDoctor and reinitialized my phone. Mobile Hotspot is now working just fine. Thanks all!
    This worked for me (from the developer):

Normal rules apply. Device in Developer Mode, tether and use novacom (novacom.exe -t open tty:// ) as root run:

mount -o remount rw, /
    cp /media/internal/.mytether/PmNetConfigManager.orig /usr/bin/PmNetConfigManager
    stop PmNetConfigManager
    start PmNetConfigManager

cp /media/internal/.mytether/PmWanDaemon.orig /usr/bin/PmWanDaemon
    stop PmWanDaemon
    start PmWanDaemon
    mount -o remount ro, /

In this case I uninstalled MyThether from Preware. Afterward. I think MyTether is a viable option just that I couldn't get a connection from MyTether after launching Hotspot, the 3G connection kept flickering on and off. The Hotspot application on the other hand would show me connected but I couldn't browse the web or connect to anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by minian View Post
    This worked for me (from the developer):

Normal rules apply. Device in Developer Mode, tether and use novacom (novacom.exe -t open tty:// ) as root run:

mount -o remount rw, /
    cp /media/internal/.mytether/PmNetConfigManager.orig /usr/bin/PmNetConfigManager
    stop PmNetConfigManager
    start PmNetConfigManager

cp /media/internal/.mytether/PmWanDaemon.orig /usr/bin/PmWanDaemon
    stop PmWanDaemon
    start PmWanDaemon
    mount -o remount ro, /

In this case I uninstalled MyThether from Preware. Afterward. I think MyTether is a viable option just that I couldn't get a connection from MyTether after launching Hotspot, the 3G connection kept flickering on and off. The Hotspot application on the other hand would show me connected but I couldn't browse the web or connect to anything.
    +1

uninstalled my tether thru quickinstall after running the commands. still have the same problem. it connects but just keeps saying Connecting to google...