Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Hello everyone hope all is great. I am not sure if this has been discussed ( i have searched for any similar discussions) but conference call with the pre is a pain, what can be done when calling a third person for conference calling and he/she doesn't pick up and when you hang up you cannot go back to the other person it only allows you to end all calls or merge the calls.

well let me know what you guys think, or any solutions to this guys?
    CDMA issue I believe. That's about the only options we get, it's all or nothing really.
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    Sprint needs to move on to GSM
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    I thought it was a Pre/ Palm issue. Regular dumbphones allow for swapping back. My Treo 700P did this. But I think my 800W & Treo Pro was able to switch back. I think.?
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    I thought it may be a cdma issue, but doesnt verizon allow that to happen with their phones?
    Same with Verizon. Here at the Verizon Wireless site it has a few Q&A about conference calling. Here is the point about hanging up one caller to continue talking with the other person.

How do you release one call and continue with the other?
    To disconnect one or both parties, ask them to hang up.

This has been discussed in many threads and is completely a limitation of CDMA - no matter what network you are on.

According to the Pre User Manual (page 94) and it says that there are only two ways to end a conference call:

1) hang up and end all calls
    2) and I quote "Ask one of the callers to hang up, so you can stay connected to the other call."

CDMA networks need to evolve, or die.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    what so ridiculous to me is that when you do get the line ended it still seems to be connected to it when you try to do another conference call attempt so it doesn't allow you to even place the call
    I don't understand how the Palm 700p was able to make conference calls and then hang up a line. Then make another without having to hang up all the lines. But the Pre/Pixi can not do this. Maybe this will be a fix in the next update.

*fingers crossed*
    The way I do it and have always done it is I hang up on the person I want to hang up on and the other open line rings back on my phone and that party never knew I disconnected.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    This has been discussed in many threads and is completely a limitation of CDMA - no matter what network you are on.

According to the Pre User Manual (page 94) and it says that there are only two ways to end a conference call:

1) hang up and end all calls
    2) and I quote "Ask one of the callers to hang up, so you can stay connected to the other call."

CDMA networks need to evolve, or die.
    Except that on all of my previous Sprint phones you could disconnect the third party you're dialing in by "hook flashing" the line a couple times if they didn't answer. Think that's related to what the OP's asking.

Just experimented and I don't see a way to do it on the Pre since it doesn't have a Talk button available for manually hook flashing on a call. It handles 3-way calling its own way only allowing you to merge or end all calls. So not a bona fide CDMA limitation, IMHO.
    Quote Originally Posted by krod301 View Post
    the way i do it and have always done it is i hang up on the person i want to hang up on and the other open line rings back on my phone and that party never knew i disconnected.
    bingo
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    That technique works on some hard lines but is *not* available on CDMA.
    If you call person 1
    then hit Add Call to add person 2,
    then tap on the button to go back to 1, it will conference person 1 and
    person 2 together. Now there's only one button on the screen
    to end all calls.

There is then absolutely positively no way for you to hang up on only one of
    those two people. If you hang up, you lose em both, and they lose
    each other. That's it.

My Treo on Sprint worked exactly the same way.

Note this is a little different than if two people call you.
    If person 1 calls you and you answer
    then person 2 calls you and you answer, you're now on
    two calls and you can switch between them but can't conference them.
    But just like the conference you only have one option to hang up
    and it will disconnect *both* calls. What I do instead is just
    end one call with "bye", switch to the other, and ignore the first,
    figuring they'll hang up.

ian
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    That technique works on some hard lines but is *not* available on CDMA.
    Did you ever try using the hard Talk button to switch out calls when you did that, or only use what you saw as on screen options? This worked on my second dumb phone and both of my WinMo HTC phones. (Actually never tried on the first phone.) Maybe it was actually just switching between callers as you say. But it worked for getting the third caller out of the conversation.

The hang up/ring back thing they mentioned works too I think, though I only had it ring back once when I accidentally hung up.

And @evan.long: Does that work on the Pre? When you push end in conference mode on webOS, you hear two beeps as it force drops both calls with no ringback that I'm aware of.
    Last edited by ananimus; 02/25/2010 at 12:16 PM. Reason: typo
    I would like to know if someone could do a patch that would let you make a conference call and let you choose which line you can hang up instead of ending all calls? It is very frustrating to be talking to someone and make a conference call and then have to hang up the entire line and call one or the other person back that you weren't finished talking to. HELP PLEASE!!!!
    This is one of my few complaints about the phone app, no end on each call!!
    Palm Pre- and BB Tour owner/hater
    This is a CDMA limitation, nothing to do with the Pre itself. Any phone on Sprint or Verizon will have this same issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    This is a CDMA limitation, nothing to do with the Pre itself. Any phone on Sprint or Verizon will have this same issue.
    Really? This is interesting. This is my first CDMA phone, so I never understood the limitation. Do you know what specifically causes this limitation?
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I don't think I had that problem with my 700p on Verizon. Hopefully it's something that can be fixed with a patch or future update.
    Quote Originally Posted by kingskid View Post
    I don't think I had that problem with my 700p on Verizon. Hopefully it's something that can be fixed with a patch or future update.
    Pretty sure you didn't, considering it's not possible. To hang up on only one call, the only way to do so is to ask the caller to hang up.

From Verizon's own site:

How do you release one call and continue with the other?
    To disconnect one or both parties, ask them to hang up.
    Calling Features: 3-Way Calling
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast