Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    I'm posting this, using my newly tethered connection. As a side note, it is legal to tether on Bell network. They include into all their packages 500+ MB of data for personal email, internet browsing, instant messaging, and tethering. The cool part is they don't have a system in place to trace the tethering data, yet.

Bell network technology is very basic and does not force IP forwarding to be turned off automatically. In other words, there is no need to install the freetetherD app and apply Jason's patch. I installed tonight the Mobile Hotspot on my Bell 1.4.1 OS and had it up and running in less then 5min, once I started the install.

I started by extracting the latest Hotspot from Verizon Pre Plus 1.4.0 .jar file.
    Navigate to /resources directory and extract the com.palm.app.mobilehotspot_1.0-1.0.11_armv7.ipk from verizon.tar file.

Enable developer mode (upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart) and restart your Pre. Connect it to your box and set it to "just charge". Choose your way how to install the file. If you have Jason's app, use it only to upload the file to your device, into /tmp directory. Then run the following commands in your Windows terminal (# means you are in root mode, you will need novaterm):
    Code:
    C:\> novacom -t open tty://
    # mount -o remount,rw /
    # cd /tmp
    # ipkg install com.palm.app.mobilehotspot_1.0-1.0.11_armv7.ipk
    Begin installation of com.palm.app.mobilehotspot
    Installing com.palm.app.mobilehotspot (1.0-1.0.11) to root...
    Configuring com.palm.app.mobilehotspot
    # mount -o remount,ro /
    # exit
    Personally, I'm a Linux head so I used the following commands in a Karmic terminal:
    Code:
    $ novacom -t open tty://
    # mount -o remount,rw /
    # cd /tmp
    # wget http://www.mysite.com/hotspot.tar.gz
    # tar -zxvf hotspot.tar.gz
    # ipkg install com.palm.app.mobilehotspot_1.0-1.0.11_armv7.ipk
    Begin installation of com.palm.app.mobilehotspot
    Installing com.palm.app.mobilehotspot (1.0-1.0.11) to root...
    Configuring com.palm.app.mobilehotspot
    # mount -o remount,ro /
    # exit
    Turn off the developer mode and restart your Pre. As I said, 5min install. It took me longer to actually write everything and post pictures. This thread as well the pictures were uploaded using the tethered laptop. I must say that the Wi-Fi connection is a lot faster compared to the Bluetooth one. On top of that, the battery life is a lot better. I've been tethering for last 2 hours, just to test the connectivity and the battery went down by only 18%. I don't know if it has to do with the fact that I also installed Caj's 600mhz .ipk patch.

Uninstall procedure:
    Code:
    $ novacom -t open tty://
    # mount -o remount,rw /
    # ipkg remove com.palm.app.mobilehotspot
    # mount -o remount,ro /
    # exit
    Here are some quick screenshots (poseidon is my laptop):

Overall, I'm extremely happy with the results, especially about the speed I can browse on the tethered connection.
    Last edited by T3CK; 04/07/2010 at 12:03 AM.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
    good work.

I have the old unlimited internett plan so no tethering for me tho.

=(
    Hey that looks GREAT T3CK! I'm on Bell & would love to get the wi-fi hotspot working.

Question.. I installed the (free) MyTether app back when I was still on 1.3.xx. Do I need to remove that first? How exactly do I remove it? I still have the MyTether icon & haven't really used it since upgrading to 1.4.x

Thanks!

Edit: Oh hey in your posted code, how come everything is commented out??
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    They are standard shell symbols to let know users when you run a command in terminal as regular user ($) or root (#). In real life you see something like:
    Code:
    floren@poseidon~$ novacom -t open tty://
    root@palm-webos-device:/# mount -o remount,rw /
    Personally, I would clean my Pre from apps related to tethering, I don't know how they might affect the connectivity. If you had only the free version of MyTether, I think an .ipk regular uninstall and a simple delete from the launcher should be sufficient. Search the forum to see how to uninstall it, I never had any tethering apps installed (freetetherD or MyTether) and the Hotspot works perfectly for me. I always tethered using a regular bluetooth connection with a PAN, on Bell.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
    I extracted the jar file, and then extracted the ipk from the resources directory. I then installed the ipk using webos quickinstall "Jason's app". Mobile Hotspot appears in the list of installed apps under webos quickinstall, but the icon does not appear on the device, and the app does not appear in the list of installed apps on the device. Using Bell, WebOS 1.4.1. Any thoughts?
    Stupid question, but have you restarted the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by blatherdrift View Post
    good work.

I have the old unlimited internett plan so no tethering for me tho.

=(
    me too

I'm not sure if they even track tether usage on the old plans... But I'm not willing to risk it. And I'm definitely not willing to renew my 3-year contract for the sake of tethering.
    Developer of Ultimate Hockey, netSpeed, BatteryMonitor, The Ghastly Headset,
    netSpeed HD, St4rs and Matrix Exhibition
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mthillis View Post
    I extracted the jar file, and then extracted the ipk from the resources directory. I then installed the ipk using webos quickinstall "Jason's app". Mobile Hotspot appears in the list of installed apps under webos quickinstall, but the icon does not appear on the device, and the app does not appear in the list of installed apps on the device. Using Bell, WebOS 1.4.1. Any thoughts?
    That is not normal, ask Jason why it does this. I used the ordinary terminal way and it worked perfectly.
    Last edited by T3CK; 04/06/2010 at 07:13 AM.
    Im going to go out on a limb here and say, IP Forwarding has nothing to do with your provider. IP Forwarding is the process of forwarding your data to the newly created network connection on your phone.

IP Forwarding on the Sprint Pre's are forcely turned off over and over to prevent tethering that is why theres such a pain to get it working with every update. The latest Mobile Hotspot is 1.0.14, id be curious to see whats different with the IPK your using...
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    IP Forwarding on the Sprint Pre's are forcely turned off.
    You are absolutely right, that is why I explained in the first post there is no need to install the freetetherD app and apply Jason's patch. Bell does not force the IP forwarding off, making it possible to tether through Wi-Fi or Bluetooth with no warnings. I'm going to add this info to first post.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
    Quote Originally Posted by T3CK View Post
    IP Forwarding on the Sprint Pre's are forcely turned off.
    You are absolutely right, that is why I explained in the first post there is no need to install the freetetherD app and apply Jason's patch. Bell does not force the IP forwarding off, making it possible to tether through Wi-Fi or Bluetooth with no warnings. I'm going to add this info to first post.
    Indeed.

I wonder thoe, if your ipk is different then the traditional ipk, for instance. At least the version available in the app catalog for me is "com.palm.app.mobilehotspot_1.0.14_all.ipk". By me, I mean the one I was able to get even thoe im on sprint *whistles*...
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    I got the one available at WebOS Internals. They had this weekend the 1.4.0 Verizon .jar file, with Hotspot versioned as 1.0.11 release. Even if WebOS Internals will update their links to 1.4.1, I will not bother to upgrade Hotspot. I will do it when the next update is available. Of course, anyone else can install any version they like.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
    Works beautifully on mine, thanks!

Tether away with my Smartphone 50 Combo!

Also a suggestion... if you're using a laptop or a netbook, have a microUSB cable handy so you can charge your Pre while tethering. That's probably what I'm going to do.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    Tony, did you used the terminal install procedure I posted or Jason's installer?
    There is a user who reported issues. Ya, I use also a cable to charge the Pre while I commute and tether to the laptop. Although, the discharge so low that it might not be worth.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
    I have the exact same problem as described

Quote Originally Posted by mthillis View Post
    Some people are like a Slinky...

Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs
    Tony, did you used the terminal install procedure I posted or Jason's installer?
    There is a user who reported issues. Ya, I use also a cable to charge the Pre while I commute and tether to the laptop. Although, the discharge so low that it might not be worth.
    I used a hybrid of both. Send the file over using WOSQI (which replaces your wget step), then use Novacom to do the actual install. Alternatively I could've used Linux Commandline in WOSQI, but I never tried Novacom and figured give it a shot.

I realized I can't use WOSQI for built-in apps, like Sprint Nav. I think the reason being if you don't install using ipkg, it'll get installed along with the addon apps and it won't work, built-in apps needs to be installed in usr/palm. Figured it was the same case for MHS so I gave that a shot.

The name's Toni, btw.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    That explains why you did not have problems.
    Please post the procedure, so other Windows users can do it also.

I will link your procedure to the first post. Thanks Toni.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
    I'll do it tomorrow, if I don't PM me to remind me. Actually still a bit sick, so kinda tired now, came back from the hospital today...

Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    Don't worry, I did it for you, heh. Go rest, quit tethering all night!

For once, Bell does not try to rip us off, is a miracle. They include into all their packages 500+ MB of data for personal email, internet browsing, instant messaging, and tethering. Wow, I was legal all this time and had no idea... heh.
    Last edited by T3CK; 04/06/2010 at 10:12 PM.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
    Don't worry, I did it for you, heh. Go rest, quit tethering all night!

For once, Bell does not try to rip us off, is a miracle. They include into all their packages 500+ MB of data for personal email, internet browsing, instant messaging, and tethering. Wow, I was legal all this time and had no idea... heh.
    You might also want to add that you can enter the commands through Linux Commandline command in WOSQI, enter everything line by line, except you need to upload to / instead of tmp as for some reason CommandLine doesn't work with cd.

Actually it's only if you have the new combo packs that was released a few months ago. The older combo packs still do not include tethering (i.e. ones that launched with the HSPA network, e.g. Smartphone 45 + $5 hike).

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast