Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Update , I finally got this working. It didn't matter how many times I reinstalled novacom. Aparantly, the issues were with the drivers which were located in folder under the palm directory. Once I loaded the .exe file and restarted my computer, I was able to use the instructions to load mobilehotspot.
    Thanks so much for all your help and I'm sorry if I came across as a winey little suck in the previous post. Frustration got the better of me.

BTW I'm on the basic 500 mb per month plan. If I only use this for casual browsing on my laptop when up at the cottage will I chew up my allotment much faster than browsing on my phone?
    My kids would like to check their Club Penguin account which uses Flash. According to the Bell app that tracks usage, I barely make a dent in my allotment. Do pages rendered on the laptop via tether make a huge difference?
    Quote Originally Posted by crutzulee View Post
    Update , I finally got this working. It didn't matter how many times I reinstalled novacom. Aparantly, the issues were with the drivers which were located in folder under the palm directory. Once I loaded the .exe file and restarted my computer, I was able to use the instructions to load mobilehotspot.
    Thanks so much for all your help and I'm sorry if I came across as a winey little suck in the previous post. Frustration got the better of me.

BTW I'm on the basic 500 mb per month plan. If I only use this for casual browsing on my laptop when up at the cottage will I chew up my allotment much faster than browsing on my phone?
    My kids would like to check their Club Penguin account which uses Flash. According to the Bell app that tracks usage, I barely make a dent in my allotment. Do pages rendered on the laptop via tether make a huge difference?
    Smartphone Combo 50? That's what I have and tethering is included.

I went to Tobermory, it was my internet connection, barely hit 300MB. Also used it twice in Waterloo this month as mobile internet connection when shopping for project cars. Only managed to get 130MB. I usually browse on the RT and have continuous push email.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Thanks for the reply Toni. Yeah, I got in on the combo 50 plan with $15 off deal and confirmed that it includes tethering.
    Are you using mobilehotspot wirelessly or are you tethered via usb? Have you experienced any heat issues? I've read elswhere that this can be an issue and I am a bit concerned with anything that will shorten the life of this phone as there seems to be some debate as to whether or not my plan can be transferred to another phone with the discount.
    Last edited by crutzulee; 08/01/2010 at 11:04 AM.
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    Just install NetStat on Preware, you will be able to see anytime the actual usage.

About the heat, don't worry. Your phone will last way longer then 3 years... when you will change it for a better Pre model. I'm overclocking my phone at 800Mhz (UberKernel). The modified kernel will make it last at least 5years, instead of the normal 20years mark (as stated by Palm).
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
    I was thinking of dowloading an app to track usage before I came across the one from Bell. I figure that if there is any kind of dispute, they have to go by the amount shown in their own app. Am I wrong? From what I've read an experienced personally, I know anything is possible with them. Has anyone had a dispute regarding MBs used per month?
    I've never been in a position where I've had to track my internet usage. As I said earlier, I'd love to go by the numbers in their app as it shows that I'm hardly a power user ( less than 1mb per day).
    About my other question, is a page rendered on the phone the same data amount as it would be rendered on my laptop through a tethered connection ?
    Floren, I have wondered about overclocking the phone as my next step and am wondering if it is an option for me as a guy who is still half sure that Bell might possibly someday honour a warranty on this phone. I understand that the performance is increased but will it benefit me? I've read through many threads an am still unsure. My primary use of the phone is web browsing. I am extatic over the speed with which the browser loads with the stock kernal. My last phone was a Samsung Instinct running Opera mini (loved that browser and would use it over the one in webos if available) which would take close to a minute to load and would close if I had to use another function on the phone.
    I would however, love to see the webos browser render pages as quickly as my old opera mini. Would overclocking affect this? As I understand it, the answer would be no, as this is more a function of how Opera routes and compresses pages through their servers. I would love to be proven wrong and would be willing to void my warrenty for speed in this one area. Sorry for straying off topic, but if you have some info on this matter, I' d love to hear about it.
    I have a European GSM(movistar) Pre running 1.4.5. Will it be the same procedure as you are using?
    M100=> 180 => 270 => 600 => 650 => 680 => 680 => 680 => Pre(GSM Pre minus)=>Galaxy S2 32GB
    FYI - for people who are able to connect but still can't load pages:

I found that my laptop firewall blocks all UDP traffic (and I can't disable it). Because of this, and the fact that the Bell network uses the UDP protocol for the DNS lookup, you cannot load any URLs!

There is a way around this!

You have to setup your wireless connection (on the PC) to point to a 3rd party DNS server that uses tcp/ip as a protocol. Once I did this, it worked flawlessly!

Try one of these DNS servers located in Canada:
    CANADA (CA) 192.228.26.137
    CANADA (CA) 208.91.112.53
    CANADA (CA) 216.171.98.76
    Developer of Ultimate Hockey, netSpeed, BatteryMonitor, The Ghastly Headset,
    netSpeed HD, St4rs and Matrix Exhibition
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
    Thanks for the reply Toni. Yeah, I got in on the combo 50 plan with $15 off deal and confirmed that it includes tethering.
    Are you using mobilehotspot wirelessly or are you tethered via usb? Have you experienced any heat issues? I've read elswhere that this can be an issue and I am a bit concerned with anything that will shorten the life of this phone as there seems to be some debate as to whether or not my plan can be transferred to another phone with the discount.
    Wi-Fi only, only heat is when my phone is on the Touchstone.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

The value was showing up on my Bell data usage was far lower than what I had show up on netstat for one of the phones on my plan for some reason.
    I'm wondering, in case of a dispute, wouldn't they have to go by the usage shown in their own app?
    According to their numbers, my usage is next to nothing and the 500mb I get per month is way overkill.
    For some reason palm emulator will not start-up, when I run the program, a command prompt window pops up for a second and then disappears...
    Not sure what is wrong...
    dragged the shortcut to a cmd window and it says...
    "Unable to access jarfile C:\Program Files (x86)\Palm\SDK\bin\\..\share\jars\webo
    s-emulator.jar"

running win 7 64bit if that matters
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wekya View Post
    I have a European GSM(movistar) Pre running 1.4.5. Will it be the same procedure as you are using?
    Ya.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kolliker-Fuse View Post
    The value was showing up on my Bell data usage was far lower than what I had show up on netstat for one of the phones on my plan for some reason.
    That is because they don't have a system in place to track it, yet.
    Since they show you clearly how much usage they bill you, they cannot tell you that you used more... is printed on your bill.

And the less we talk about this, the better it is. They don't need to know what is going on, right?
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    1. About my other question, is a page rendered on the phone the same data amount as it would be rendered on my laptop through a tethered connection ?

2. Floren, I have wondered about overclocking the phone as my next step and am wondering if it is an option for me as a guy who is still half sure that Bell might possibly someday honour a warranty on this phone. I understand that the performance is increased but will it benefit me? I've read through many threads an am still unsure.
    1. No, there is more data pumped through laptop web browser.

2. I OC my phone at 1Ghz, using the UberKernel (Preware). The phone flies, compared to stock. If it fries, they will know you OC'ed the phone right away and will not honor a replacement. Who cares, Pre will drop soon at $99 without contract. Some numbers to guide you:
    500Mhz -- CPU lasts 20years
    800Mhz -- CPU lasts 6years
    1Ghz -- CPU lasts 3years

In other words, you can endup getting your phone fried in 2-3 years, which by then you will want a new phone anyways. If you want to play safe, OC at 800Mhz, which is very fast compared to default 500Mhz. You won't notice a very big difference at 1Ghz. Personally, I don't care and I stick with the magic number 1, instead of 800.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
    turns out it was the 64 bit sdk that wasn't meshing well with virtualbox, i uninstalled and reinstalled x86, app seemed like it installed but it said could not find a bunch of files, restarted phone, and i don't see it...
    Will loading the file with WOSQI into /tmp folder and then installing it through Preware/Internalz work?
    First post here, I would like to thank you guys for all the info given on this forum. I got 2 pres a couple of weeks ago and managed to install mobile hot spot.Did bell put something in place to track data usage? I used my laptop maybe 3 hours just to surf the net and use google traffic. And when i go check data usage on my bell they say i used 450MB? my wifes phone did not tether at all?
    Thank you.
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    I've been doing it with blutooth via my laptop.

And yes, Bell still doesn't track the right amount of internet utilization. I'm happy with that...

If I don't use my hotspot, I rarely use more than 20-30 mo per month and I have 500 mo, it's crazy.

When I went to my parents house for 3 days. I used around 200 mo... for 3 days of intense internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by krispera View Post
    I've been doing it with blutooth via my laptop.

And yes, Bell still doesn't track the right amount of internet utilization. I'm happy with that...

If I don't use my hotspot, I rarely use more than 20-30 mo per month and I have 500 mo, it's crazy.

When I went to my parents house for 3 days. I used around 200 mo... for 3 days of intense internet.
    I started using netstat, and it reveals that within 2 weeks I'm using 300+ MB, but Bell says I used around 100MB.

Guess that's a sign that says I shouldn't move off CDMA.

Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    hey,
    I installed mobile hotspot app(the official one from sprint pres) and theirs updates for it should I update it or will it screw things up since I'm on bell?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast