Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Vij
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    I just set it up - works very well - and battery drain seems ok. Thanks!
    Mine stopped working, asking me to contact the carrier. Anyone having trouble with their's?
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    Mines works great. Running Ubuntu Lucid and tethering as I post this message.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
    Called in, they said they only support Bluetooth tethering. Thing is, even Bluetooth isn't working now... lol. The mofos disabled my tethering altogether.

Time to call in again...
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Hmm... Bluetooth initially gave me Auth Error, but then tried a few more times and it started working. Mobile Hotspot still no go...

Maybe I'll try reinstalling...
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

Hmm... and this is weird. Turns out for some strange reason, my network info in MHS just disappeared. Reentered the network and set up encryption again, it started working.

Weird indeed.

EDIT: No, it's still not working. I could get MHS to turn on though, well that's a start...

And another few Luna Resets fixed it... weird...

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    I had the same issue Toni, missing info in MHS. Was receiving the "Contact carrier" error message. Added the network info and it worked!
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Works amazingly well. Speed is decently fast too!
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    I'm downloading at 250kb/sec in average. To myself, this is blasing fast for a mobile wifi.
    Go to Microsoft site and start downloading a large file. What speed you get?
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    are you talking 250 kb or kB (bit or byte)? I don't have a laptop around atm, so can't test, but I did a speedtest (on Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test) and iirc got around 150 KB (Bytes) /sec. Nothing wrong with that at all, it's many times faster than dialup.
    Aaaaagh, please help out a newb who has been trying to get this to work.

I am on firmware 1.4.5, I have successfully extracted the .ipk file and uploaded it to the /tmp folder on my phone with Jason's software.

I have clicked on the link provided for novaterm and followed those instruction which has, as far as I can gather, given me a program that emulates the palm os my computer but has not helped me with getting my computer to recognize the commands in your tutorial.

I have to say, that I feel pretty stupid as everyone on this thread seems to have gotten this working with minimal effort. You have obviously written an easy to follow tutorial which has helped a number of people. Thanks so much for that.

I hope its not too much to ask for you to dumb it down a little more
    Unfortunately, when I try to enter the text in windows terminal ( running cmd prompt from windows ), I get an error that indicates that the command is not valid ( or something to that effect - I'm not at home now to get the exact wording )
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T3CK View Post
    If you have Jason's app, use it only to upload the file to your device, into /tmp directory. Then run the following commands in your Windows terminal (# means you are in root mode, you will need novaterm):
    Code:
    C:\> novacom -t open tty://
    # mount -o remount,rw /
    # cd /tmp
    # ipkg install com.palm.app.mobilehotspot_1.0-1.0.11_armv7.ipk
    Begin installation of com.palm.app.mobilehotspot
    Installing com.palm.app.mobilehotspot (1.0-1.0.11) to root...
    Configuring com.palm.app.mobilehotspot
    # mount -o remount,ro /
    # exit
    You uploaded the .ipk using Jason's tool right? At the prompt, type this:
    Code:
    C:\> novacom -t open tty://
    # ipkg
    What do you get as response?
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
    Quote Originally Posted by neville View Post
    me too

I'm not sure if they even track tether usage on the old plans... But I'm not willing to risk it. And I'm definitely not willing to renew my 3-year contract for the sake of tethering.
    I too have the old plan, I'm not willing to give it up for what their willing to offer me. I have been using Bluetooth to tether my work laptop when I'm in an area where my air card cannot get a signal. (who says city worker's are lazy ) I use it to remote desktop to a server and although I have no hard numbers for you in megabytes, I can say I've never been charged anything out of the ordinary.
    Thanks for responding T3CK! When I enter the first line of that code and press enter, I get:
    ' novacom' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

I can confirm with the internalz program that the .ipk file is in the /tmp directory. I have attempted to install it from that location using internalz but it does not seem to do anything.

I am asuming that I am somehow not properly running a program called novacom. As I said earlier, I followed the link in your OP for this and it led me to a Palm site and instructions to load a program that seems to be a software development kit for webos. I have installed this and it seems like a neat emulator for the pre but I am not sure how it can help me to get tethering working.

I really appreciate your time in helping me figure this out!

Thabks in advance
    Quote Originally Posted by crutzulee View Post
    I am asuming that I am somehow not properly running a program called novacom. As I said earlier, I followed the link in your OP for this and it led me to a Palm site and instructions to load a program that seems to be a software development kit for webos. I have installed this and it seems like a neat emulator for the pre but I am not sure how it can help me to get tethering working.
    You are right , Palm SDK is a suite of tools to develop applications for the Palm Pre.

The important thing is that it includes Novacom with the Novaterm terminal.

So what you need to do is to open a command prompt (Start / Run and type CMD then enter)

Inside your dos/command window you should see something like:
    C:\ or C:\Documents and Settings\ depending from where you launched the Command Prompt but it does not make any difference.

you can now type:
    novacom -t open tty://

it should then show a line like:
    root@palm-webos-device:/#<-[Jt@palm-webos-device:/#

You are now in a Terminal session inside your dos session and you're now ready to type the terminal commands:

mount -o remount,rw /
    cd /tmp
    ipkg install com.palm.app.mobilehotspot_1.0-1.0.11_armv7.ipk
    mount -o remount,ro /
    exit

Then restart your Palm and enjoy !!
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crutzulee View Post
    I get:
    ' novacom' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
    It means SDK is not installed properly. Did you followed the instructions posted on their page?
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
    Thanks again for the responses. I'm pretty sure I followed the instructions as spelled out on the page. It seemed to load two programs - one that created a virtual machine and the other a palm emulator which appears in a palm folder in my list of programs under windows. I don't recall seeing anything explicitly named novacom that loaded.

I'm not home right now but I will recheck my steps when I'm there tonight
    I got it working just fine, man its fantastic...

Though im curious, I previously had novacom installed via WOSQI, but i ended up installing the sdk anyways... did I even need to do that?
    I guess it's just me, but after a couple of days of this, I am about to give up and perhaps trade the phone in for a blackberry which according to Bell's website tethers easily right out of the box.
    I must have had novacom installed properly at some point as I was able to use WOSQI to originally get Preware on my phone.
    I think I have somehow screwed it up when I followed the directions to get the PDK program that may have overwritten the novacom files.
    I have subsequently tried to remove and re-install the program both by using the (re) install option in WOSQI and the Palm PDK and have gotten the same results each time. The Novacom program just does not seem to be properly loaded on my laptop!!
    Thanks for your help. I'm glad that many of you have got this working so easily but I' m at the point of complete frustration and am fearful that even if I did get this running, I'd have to go through this hassle again at the next update.

Is there anything I have to do to remove any traces of anything that would cause Bell to give me a hassle in trading this in for a Blackberry? I think it's crappy that they sell this phone with an advertised capability that does not have a stock software solution for accessing it.

Thanks again for your help.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast