Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. MJZ
    I went for it with Verizon selling it for $120 with a 1 year agreement. Mostly, I bought the Palm Pre Plus because it was one of the few smartphones that looks good (Droid ugly gold coloring) and is not a huge brick like the iPhone or Droid. I was kind of aware of the drawbacks of going into one, but I figure 1 year and $120 bucks is low enough of a risk.

So I'm still trying to figure out how everything works. Some things are good, some are simply not intuitive...

For instance, there are a list of applications I can find by typing it when I'm in the Launcher (like Calculator), but I can't figure out how to add it as a launcher icon. I want to launch Calculator without having to search for it every time. Is this even possible? The fact that it is not intuitively easy to figure this out makes me quite displeased.

Anyway, at this point I am only interested in optimizing the phone for speed and stability. The speed of the phone annoys me. Email is extremely unresponsive and seems to lock up the entire phone while trying to load Gmail.

Frankly, I do not care for most of the functionality that is much touted on this phone. Multitasking is useless if it drains the battery. I just want it to work properly and quickly for as long as possible in the course of a day. It has also crashed and lost a bunch of photos I took already after 1 day of ownership. I'm using the latest 1.4 OS updated from Verizon, otherwise it has nothing else installed.

So what do I need to download or learn to do with this thing so I can live with it better?

PS. I am displeased with Verizon's 3G network. It is so far inferior to Sprint's on all levels.
    actually Pre is $50.00 now i think on verizon... make sure you go back and get the difference!!

if you want to put calculator on the launch bar... just press and hold something down on the task bar and move it away... and then do the same to put the calc there

the first thing you should download is "preware" if you are comfortable with digging into your phone.

you can install preware via webOs Quick installer

http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...Install_Method
    Last edited by antonio3; 04/04/2010 at 09:44 PM.
    he only took it with 1 year contract.
    iPhone 1gen august 2007- may 2010
    Repaired: headphone jack twice. Buttons and back cover once. Screen has a crack.

Palm Pre Plus may 2010-now

LOVE IT
  4. MJZ
    Quote Originally Posted by cursiv View Post
    he only took it with 1 year contract.
    Yep, no sense in getting 2 years if I end up not liking the phone. At $120 for 1 year I'm happy enough, $50 for 2 years... I think I would not be as pleased.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    For the calculator app you can just drag it onto the launcher, just make sure you removed an icon from the launcher beforehand because you can only have 4 other icons besides the launcher icon.

For the speed of the phone you can overclock it to 800mhz. The thread below shows you how to install. You will have to use WebosQuickInstall and have your pre on developer mode.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...install-b.html
    Quote Originally Posted by MJZ View Post
    For instance, there are a list of applications I can find by typing it when I'm in the Launcher (like Calculator), but I can't figure out how to add it as a launcher icon. I want to launch Calculator without having to search for it every time. Is this even possible? The fact that it is not intuitively easy to figure this out makes me quite displeased.

When your in the launcher swipe to the right hand side... the calculator resides in the 2nd page.
    iPhone 1gen august 2007- may 2010
    Repaired: headphone jack twice. Buttons and back cover once. Screen has a crack.

Palm Pre Plus may 2010-now

LOVE IT
    there is a quick start guide in .PDF somewhere on here.... some other surfer can dig it up for you... :P
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
  8. MJZ
    Quote Originally Posted by cursiv View Post
    When your in the launcher swipe to the right hand side... the calculator resides in the 2nd page.
    Thank you! The up and down arrows made me assume the Launcher only scrolls up and down.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    The pre does have a learning curve, at first it does seem counter intuitive coming from any other phone. Just give it a week or two, I bet you'll feel way different about that statement. It was the same for me, I was thinking I'm taking this back. Now I think, I love using my phone way too much!!!
    http://www.precentral.net/palm-pre-v...now-10-minutes

Think you should start here...there are a lot of other helpful how-to guides from the precentral homepage.

Once you are more comfortable with the phone, do a search in the forums for the 800 mhz patch. It will improve the speed (and stability) of the phone...of course this is overclocking, and a "use at your own risk" kind of thing.

Also, give the phone a day or so to "sync" all your information...it should be more responsive after that, and the battery will improve too.
  11. MJZ
    Quote Originally Posted by kkumar99 View Post
    Think you should start here...there are a lot of other helpful how-to guides from the precentral homepage.

Once you are more comfortable with the phone, do a search in the forums for the 800 mhz patch. It will improve the speed (and stability) of the phone...of course this is overclocking, and a "use at your own risk" kind of thing.

Also, give the phone a day or so to "sync" all your information...it should be more responsive after that, and the battery will improve too.
    I hear the OMAP in this should run at 600mhz without technically overclocking.

Is there a functionally similar "600mhz" patch?
    yes, the link to the thread is below. Please get comfortable with the phone, preware, and webos quickinstall first. Understand when you have to uninstall it (before updates), etc. The 600 mhz kernel is nice, but once you use the 800, just can't go back!

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...k-install.html
    Actually if you open to your keyboard and just type cal into universal search not only will you find the calculator, but your calendar as well.

You've got to get used to how the Pre operates, and once you do you'll find it hard to use any other phone.
    A good start is here:http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...e-welcome.html

Enjoy your new Pre.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    I would suggest visiting this site to help learn your new device

Palm webOS

WebOS is way different than any other OS on the market and can use some getting used to.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    you can always do a search first, then if you still have any questions then ask us
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    Agreed, it will take a little getting used to but once you get the hang of it, you won't look back. It will become second nature and ease of do multiple things on the phone at once will blow your mind. Also, Preware is something that will elevate your phone and give it those little extras that truly make the Pre experience. Enjoy all that WebOS and Preware has to offer.
    Sanyo SCP 4500 > Samsung SCH 1900 > Sanyo SCP 5000 > Treo 755p > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
  17. MJZ
    First day using the Pre - displeased.

Google Maps and GPS sucks on this phone. It's either Verizon or whatever. This alone may make me want to return this phone, since I have used my BlackBerry exclusively for Mapping, and GPS navigation.

The general slowness is not helping things. And barely doing anything with it all day = 50% battery drain.

Perhaps I was spoiled by my BlackBerry where I could go light usage and have it be at 90%.

I don't know if I'm more displeased with Verizon or Palm at this point.
    take it back and get a droid, palm is getting ready to fold.
    If you are happy with a dinosaur like a Blackberry then the Pre is not for you, coming from a BB, my Pre is light years ahead of my old phone.
    So did you switch from Sprint to Verizon? If so why? for a bit more memory and RAM on the Pre+.

I have battery drain only because I use it so much. I always carry a fully charged 2nd battery with me and I have a car charger and a 2nd USB/cord charger too. But then again I've done this for every phone I've ever owned.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast