Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. MJZ
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    If you are happy with a dinosaur like a Blackberry then the Pre is not for you, coming from a BB, my Pre is light years ahead of my old phone.
    It is lightyears ahead, but things actually work... like the GPS on the blackberry. Of course, no real time Push on the Pre, but I knew that going in.
  2. MJZ
    Quote Originally Posted by cowgirlupkelly View Post
    So did you switch from Sprint to Verizon? If so why? for a bit more memory and RAM on the Pre+.

I have battery drain only because I use it so much. I always carry a fully charged 2nd battery with me and I have a car charger and a 2nd USB/cord charger too. But then again I've done this for every phone I've ever owned.
    Yup. Palm Pre costs far more on Sprint. Like hundreds more. Since SERO doesn't work, Sprint loses it's plan cost advantage.

And I got a 1 year contract.
    Quote Originally Posted by MJZ View Post
    It is lightyears ahead, but things actually work... like the GPS on the blackberry. Of course, no real time Push on the Pre, but I knew that going in.
    Don't know what you are talking about, my GPS on my Sprint Pre works great, and my email pushes too and stay's in sync with my online accounts.
  4. MJZ
    Don't know what you are talking about, my GPS on my Sprint Pre works great, and my email pushes too and stay's in sync with my online accounts.
    Email pushes every 15 minutes - which is not really push at all.

Blackberry pushes within 5 seconds.

Apparently the GPS issue is on the Verizon Pre Plus.
    You can set it up to push automatically, if all you do is email/text then the dinky screen of the BB is perfect for you, don't really need a Pre.
    Mine pushes instantly. I will have gmail open and my phone will beep 2 seconds after someone sends an email. Not sure what's wrong with yours.

Probably another line made up by BB users that are depressed they are still using a tired expensive phone.
    Email pushes every 15 minutes - which is not really push at all.

Blackberry pushes within 5 seconds.

Apparently the GPS issue is on the Verizon Pre Plus.

I have had no complaints with Google Maps or location services. When you say "GPS sucks" are you referring to VZnavigator (turn by turn directions) or the GPS as it provides info to Google Maps?

I agree that nothing beats a BlackBerry for push-email, and that's why my company makes me carry one - even though it doesn't have a voice plan. That's how much I like my Pre+ that I'd rather carry two devices than use my BB Curve as a phone.

My desktop PC (using Outlook2007) polls for email every 15 minutes, so that's good enough for me on my phone - but I understand that might be good enough for others (especially BlackBerry users).

The Pre isn't perfect for everyone. I am more interested in contact mgmt and calendar mgmt - and no one has ever done that as good as Palm.

I went looking to replace my Palm Centro and really didn't think I would like the Pre based on all the bad press. But I spent 5 minutes learning the 5 major gestures, and I was hooked. But, the biggest decision for me was that any phone running Android will REQUIRE that MS-Exchange sync through Gmail. That's totally unacceptable to me. I actually can't believe that any company would let Android users sync with their company Exchange server for that reason.

You can find lots of articles on the web about what Google can (and has) done with the information they have, including defaulting gmail to be exposed to your top contacts through Buzz. One article you will find is of a lady that had her gmail exposed to her abusive x-husband. That put her back in physical danger... oops!

Unless Google is somehow passing that info through to the smartphone without it actually being part of the Gmail system (which they index like everything else.) I would NEVER let corporate information pass through them.

I haven't seen this issue come up on these forums before, so maybe I'm just crazy. But that made Android a non-starter for me. I personally have never had a BlackBerry that I thought had decent call quality. And I will only use Verizon based on my business needs. And since I really need calendar and contact mgmt so I needed a smart phone with decent PDA functions - That means I could only pick from Verizon smartphones that aren't running Android...

So, I would have had to consider WinMo - and I hated WinMo for the few weeks I had the Treo 700wx before I threw that in a drawer and got a Centro (which was great except it isn't 3G). WinMo7 might be ok some day, but Microsoft hasn't been able to get a PDA or Phone right for the dozen or so years they've been trying.

So, if you can mod your Pre to your liking (lots of patches to change or add functionality - I have 40+ patches running on mine) and learn to maximize the email sync enough to work for you, then it's a good phone....

And I highly recommend that you run the 720mhz or 800mhz kernel upgrade. It makes EVERYTHING so much better.

I hope you will give it a chance. You have 30 days to return it, so give it a real hard shakedown. That's why I always go with 2 year updates, by the way. I know I am not changing carriers, and I know I have 30 days to exchange the phone if I don't like it.

Every Palm phone I've had has been great. Every WinMo phone or BlackBerry has been a disappointment in some critical area. So after finding out how Android works (or doesn't work) with MS-Exchange... A Palm phone was my best choice. As I've gotten used to the slider, I even like that design feature. I really liked the Pixi better from the standpoint of the keyboard because it is most like my Centro. But, I wanted the bigger screen and the better CPU. Based on the fact that Flash may not run on the Pixi (we won't know until Adobe ships it...) I'm glad I got the Pre.

Check back and let us know how things go.
  8. MJZ
    You can set it up to push automatically, if all you do is email/text then the dinky screen of the BB is perfect for you, don't really need a Pre.
    How do you get it to push instantly? WHy in the hells does this need to be setup in the first place.
  9. MJZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I have had no complaints with Google Maps or location services. When you say "GPS sucks" are you referring to VZnavigator (turn by turn directions) or the GPS as it provides info to Google Maps?

I agree that nothing beats a BlackBerry for push-email, and that's why my company makes me carry one - even though it doesn't have a voice plan. That's how much I like my Pre+ that I'd rather carry two devices than use my BB Curve as a phone.

My desktop PC (using Outlook2007) polls for email every 15 minutes, so that's good enough for me on my phone - but I understand that might be good enough for others (especially BlackBerry users).

The Pre isn't perfect for everyone. I am more interested in contact mgmt and calendar mgmt - and no one has ever done that as good as Palm.

I went looking to replace my Palm Centro and really didn't think I would like the Pre based on all the bad press. But I spent 5 minutes learning the 5 major gestures, and I was hooked. But, the biggest decision for me was that any phone running Android will REQUIRE that MS-Exchange sync through Gmail. That's totally unacceptable to me. I actually can't believe that any company would let Android users sync with their company Exchange server for that reason.

You can find lots of articles on the web about what Google can (and has) done with the information they have, including defaulting gmail to be exposed to your top contacts through Buzz. One article you will find is of a lady that had her gmail exposed to her abusive x-husband. That put her back in physical danger... oops!

Unless Google is somehow passing that info through to the smartphone without it actually being part of the Gmail system (which they index like everything else.) I would NEVER let corporate information pass through them.

I haven't seen this issue come up on these forums before, so maybe I'm just crazy. But that made Android a non-starter for me. I personally have never had a BlackBerry that I thought had decent call quality. And I will only use Verizon based on my business needs. And since I really need calendar and contact mgmt so I needed a smart phone with decent PDA functions - That means I could only pick from Verizon smartphones that aren't running Android...

So, I would have had to consider WinMo - and I hated WinMo for the few weeks I had the Treo 700wx before I threw that in a drawer and got a Centro (which was great except it isn't 3G). WinMo7 might be ok some day, but Microsoft hasn't been able to get a PDA or Phone right for the dozen or so years they've been trying.

So, if you can mod your Pre to your liking (lots of patches to change or add functionality - I have 40+ patches running on mine) and learn to maximize the email sync enough to work for you, then it's a good phone....

And I highly recommend that you run the 720mhz or 800mhz kernel upgrade. It makes EVERYTHING so much better.

I hope you will give it a chance. You have 30 days to return it, so give it a real hard shakedown. That's why I always go with 2 year updates, by the way. I know I am not changing carriers, and I know I have 30 days to exchange the phone if I don't like it.

Every Palm phone I've had has been great. Every WinMo phone or BlackBerry has been a disappointment in some critical area. So after finding out how Android works (or doesn't work) with MS-Exchange... A Palm phone was my best choice. As I've gotten used to the slider, I even like that design feature. I really liked the Pixi better from the standpoint of the keyboard because it is most like my Centro. But, I wanted the bigger screen and the better CPU. Based on the fact that Flash may not run on the Pixi (we won't know until Adobe ships it...) I'm glad I got the Pre.

Check back and let us know how things go.
    What patches (besides the 720 or 800) are in your opinion critical?
    Do you really have a Pre? lol
  11. MJZ
    Do you really have a Pre? lol
    No, I have a Pre Plus. Sprint users should be aware there are differences, like how the Verizon version does not have a working GPS in Google Maps...

I didn't realize there is a "sync" option in the email. I set it to "As emails arrive". So far, I sent a test email and it has been about 30 seconds and no email yet. My blackberry responded in 2 or 3 seconds.
    Last edited by MJZ; 04/05/2010 at 10:26 PM.
    I dumped Verizon 10 months ago, no regrets, a lot more cash in my account now
  13. MJZ
    OK, so I just did a test email again and it pushed instantaneously. Literally flashed the same time as my Blackberry buzzed.

I'll see how it works for a day but if this works out, I will be very happy with the email pushing.
  14. MJZ
    I dumped Verizon 10 months ago, no regrets, a lot more cash in my account now
    Sprint would cost the same... $69.99 + tax and stuff.

I get 18% off Verizon through work so it ends being cheaper.

And the phone itself is either $50 on Verizon or $119. I chose $119 so I can upgrade again in a year or go somewhere else. $119 is cheap enough for a phone of this caliber being stuck on a contract for one year.
    I agree but the monthly bill will more than cost you the difference!

Sprint 69.99 includes 450 min(landline) unlimited cell,unlimited text,unlimited data. + taxes
    Vzw 69.99 unlimited ( no text no data)+ 10.00 unlimited texts, +30.00 unlimited data + taxes.

So Vzw will cost you 40.00 per mo for 12 mos. = 480.00 per year more than a comparable plan on Sprint.

Also w/sprint you would get SprintNav for free (vznav + 10.00 per mo.).
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

16. MJZ
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sslow View Post
    I agree but the monthly bill will more than cost you the difference!

Sprint 69.99 includes 450 min(landline) unlimited cell,unlimited text,unlimited data. + taxes
    Vzw 69.99 unlimited ( no text no data)+ 10.00 unlimited texts, +30.00 unlimited data + taxes.

So Vzw will cost you 40.00 per mo for 12 mos. = 480.00 per year more than a comparable plan on Sprint.

Also w/sprint you would get SprintNav for free (vznav + 10.00 per mo.).
    That's true if I needed unlimited text or minutes. I pay $40 + $30 for 450 minutes and unlimited data. 18% off of that.

The Verizon also comes with free Mobile Hotspot tethering... worth $40 per month apparently, even though I don't use it at the moment.

I would have stayed with Sprint if they let me keep my SERO $30/month with a new phone like the Pre, but they won't.
    No, I have a Pre Plus. Sprint users should be aware there are differences, like how the Verizon version does not have a working GPS in Google Maps...

I didn't realize there is a "sync" option in the email. I set it to "As emails arrive". So far, I sent a test email and it has been about 30 seconds and no email yet. My blackberry responded in 2 or 3 seconds.
    The verizon goole maps certainly DOES have gps services. It works just like google maps on the iphone. You see your location as a dot on the map, and it moves as you move. What's missing is turn-by-turn voice prompts or directions.

I've gone on record saying I won't use any phone as my turn-by-turn directions because it's not how/where I want my phone when driving. I have a nice garmin that does the job better than vzNavigator, etc. I've seen to much crazy driving from my iPhone and Droid friends when they use their phones for driving.
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    why should sprint let you pay 30 a month for a better phone? Why should people whine about having to lose sero when sero cost sprint money when sprint takes a lost? Your getting a much better phone with cheaper rates and more feautures and paying let than other providers but because you can't have the evo or ant other top rated phone with free internet, texts and roaming for 30 a month you leave and pay 3 times the amount for the same thing when you would have doubled your bill with sprint.
    What patches (besides the 720 or 800) are in your opinion critical?
    Temperature in the device menu so I can watch CPU temp
    Device Temperature warnings
    Data in device menu
    Charging alert vibration only
    4x4 icons
    Add/Delete Pages
    Hide App Vendors
    No Autorefresh after idle
    Notification repeat
    Phone no autoclose
    Just charge by default
    If you are happy with a dinosaur like a Blackberry then the Pre is not for you, coming from a BB, my Pre is light years ahead of my old phone.
    Google maps on webos is, indeed, horrible. The blackberry version is MUCH NICER (I came from a curve).

google maps is not a native app on webos. It is just a web app. This is why it sucks so hard.

Blame google, not webos.

For me, this isn't something that would make me want to get rid of the phone, though.

Addressing some posts above I just saw about mail:
    yes, blackberries do it better with BIS or BES too. Sorry. While IMAP Idle does work decent enough when you have a good connection, in those places with spotty coverage (most, for where I live), blackberries REAL push system can't be beat.

Still...
    Not enough of a problem to make me want to give up my pre. And you won't get BIS/BES on anything but a blackberry anyway, so any other phone will have the same problem.

I forward things to google so I can see them at work (policy prohibits connections to my own mail server). Often, the alert comes in on the phone much sooner than google shows that you have new mail (the phone still connects to my real server)
    Last edited by knobbysideup; 04/06/2010 at 10:57 AM.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast