1.    #1  
    including iphone 4g as well. this hints the palm pre 2 to contain that Texas Instruments OMAP 4 processor we've all been praying for at night before we go to sleep.

iPhone 4G, Pre 2 - all getting Quad-Core processors in 2010? - Bright Side Of News*

pretty cool huh?
    I bet the new iphone has A4 SoC kind of setup.
    Yeah I see apple using their own chip. If not wouldn't we have to wait for the next palm device and next iphone till this ~november?
    iPhone 1gen august 2007- may 2010
    Repaired: headphone jack twice. Buttons and back cover once. Screen has a crack.

Palm Pre Plus may 2010-now

LOVE IT
    I doubt it...

first line of the article:

"While most of media ended up surprised after learning that Palm Pre and Apple iPhone 3G S use the same dual-core Cortex-A8 SoC processor, the real battle will only come next year."

problem: pre, and iphone have a single core cpu...

If we're lucky, the pre will have a dual core cpu, but quadcore is very improbable..

edit: texas instruments has already stated that they will have dual core by the end of the year, but might not be released in a device until early next year... So i doubt quad core is coming this year... Dual core 1gh+z is more than enough to warrant an upgrade. Bringing the cpu speed up 60 percent was outstanding, now imagine giving it 400 percent of the power... If they go with dual core 1.5ghz, that's 600 percent of the power aka 6 times the power..
    Dude. Are you kidding me? Did you see the date in the article?
    we can barely get a quad core on computers as a standard, and we are barely rollin the 1GHz processor on phones, and somehow we leap into quadcore !!! I need to take the blue pill then to wake up from this world.

not goin to happen till a good 3 years from wat I think
    Quote Originally Posted by chiliu78 View Post
    Dude. Are you kidding me? Did you see the date in the article?
    that's what i was thinking as i read it.
    And nobody's making quad-core ARM chips at the moment. The chipmakers who are using the Cortex A9-MPCore design (or those who announced it at least) are all sticking to two cores, at least at first.

Basically, besides the fact that the article is old, it's written by someone who doesn't have a clue about any of this stuff.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    No point in quad core chips on mobile phones. Power consumption would eat your phone alive. Not even to mention the current mobile CPU's with the snapdragon don't and doubt will EVER use 1GHZ.

This is what happened to Intel many years ago. They were so happy at pushing the GHZ barrier that they ignored everything else. Then AMD slapped them across the face with less GHZ, less heat, and more performance.
  11.    #11  
    haha oh yeah. i saw april 4th 2010 at the top so i figured it was written today! boy was i wrong. this is like a year old
    Its a little late for April fools don't you think?
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    I read that omap4 is going to be available in three different flavors 2,4 and 8 core. The dual core will be most likely for hand helds only, while the later two will be in bigger devices(netbooks, laptops).
    The dual core will be more then enough to take webOS to new heights. I for one really hope it's in some similar form factored device as the current pre.
    The snapdragon cpu is great and all but just a small step above omap3, I say skip it all together and make the true second gen pre right the first time.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdog421 View Post
    I read that omap4 is going to be available in three different flavors 2,4 and 8 core. The dual core will be most likely for hand helds only, while the later two will be in bigger devices(netbooks, laptops).
    The dual core will be more then enough to take webOS to new heights. I for one really hope it's in some similar form factored device as the current pre.
    The snapdragon cpu is great and all but just a small step above omap3, I say skip it all together and make the true second gen pre right the first time.
    You read wrong. The Cortex A9 MPCore can only use up to 4 cores. TI with its OMAP4, and Nvidia with Tegra2, are only concentrating on dual-core variants for now. I doubt we'll see quad-core versions until at least 2011, honestly. And I don't see the "Smartbook" (laptops with ARM internals) segment taking off, so I doubt they'll be used in anything of the sort.

The size factor you mention could be accurate however. The only two devices we know of that have announced they'll be using the Cortex A9 are larger devices using the Tegra2 SoC: the Boxee Box, and the Notion Ink Adam tablet.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    You read wrong. The Cortex A9 MPCore can only use up to 4 cores. TI with its OMAP4, and Nvidia with Tegra2, are only concentrating on dual-core variants for now. I doubt we'll see quad-core versions until at least 2011, honestly. And I don't see the "Smartbook" (laptops with ARM internals) segment taking off, so I doubt they'll be used in anything of the sort.

The size factor you mention could be accurate however. The only two devices we know of that have announced they'll be using the Cortex A9 are larger devices using the Tegra2 SoC: the Boxee Box, and the Notion Ink Adam tablet.
    Ahh thanks for setting me straight, it was A9 as a single, dual and quad core design and ti's omap4 only as dual core at the moment and up to 4 cores.

They do keep saying these chips should be ready for devices by mid 2010. I'm sure the oem's are already testing these, hopefully they are and palm is hopefully one of them. I'm ok with what we have now in ti's omap3 but by nov2010, I'll be ready for some omap4 fun.