Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I went to a local Best Buy store yesterday, and checked out the new iPad. Very cool device, sharp graphics, smooth operations, etc. Will I actually buy one? Hmmm, probably not, just another piece of gadget overload for me personally. All the 4 iPad demos were operating on Best Buy's wifi signal, so the internet worked just fine, with decent speed.

I then went to iPad's settings, and found the WiFi setting, and switched to my Pre's MyTether connection, which it found without a problem. Even though I was able to connect the iPad to my Pre's MyTether wifi connection, the internet speed was very slow and spotty. I switched to another iPad demo model, and had the same slow speed internet connection problem. I finally had to switch back to Best Buy's wifi signal in order to get decent internet speed.

I know that MyTether works just fine with my own laptops, as well as other laptops I've tried. But for some strange reason, I had slow speed internet connection on 2 different iPad demo units at the local Best Buy store. I'm wondering if anyone else has tried this with similar results? If I were to ever buy an iPad in the future, I would want my Pre's MyTether wifi connection to work properly.
    Casey
    Sprint 755p, 700p, 650 - I am not a geek! Really!
    It has been said that the iPad's Wireless signal strength's are not very good. It was a article that actually stated it would loose the signal 10ft or so before the iPhone lost it, which then was proceeded by a laptop that had detected more stations then the previous devices as it was.

Just another crap cog in the wheel. Shall we mention the USB charging issues it is having also? O whats this? You can't charge it via a PC USB? oooo im sorry. "Hail" Apple.
    tbh thats the price you pay for getting the 1st gen of anything there is always going to be a chance it wont work as planned look at xbox 360 best case imo
    UK PRE USER
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Klownicle View Post
    It has been said that the iPad's Wireless signal strength's are not very good. It was a article that actually stated it would loose the signal 10ft or so before the iPhone lost it, which then was proceeded by a laptop that had detected more stations then the previous devices as it was.

Just another crap cog in the wheel. Shall we mention the USB charging issues it is having also? O whats this? You can't charge it via a PC USB? oooo im sorry. "Hail" Apple.
    LOL.

You can't charge with a PC?
    Guess I won't (not that I was going to) buy an Ipad.
    i think apple is trying to prevent any of its products from working with the pre ;-)

(written on a macbook).
    Last edited by kkumar99; 04/04/2010 at 06:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey Cheung View Post
    I went to a local Best Buy store yesterday, and checked out the new iPad. Very cool device, sharp graphics, smooth operations, etc. Will I actually buy one? Hmmm, probably not, just another piece of gadget overload for me personally. All the 4 iPad demos were operating on Best Buy's wifi signal, so the internet worked just fine, with decent speed.

I then went to iPad's settings, and found the WiFi setting, and switched to my Pre's MyTether connection, which it found without a problem. Even though I was able to connect the iPad to my Pre's MyTether wifi connection, the internet speed was very slow and spotty. I switched to another iPad demo model, and had the same slow speed internet connection problem. I finally had to switch back to Best Buy's wifi signal in order to get decent internet speed.

I know that MyTether works just fine with my own laptops, as well as other laptops I've tried. But for some strange reason, I had slow speed internet connection on 2 different iPad demo units at the local Best Buy store. I'm wondering if anyone else has tried this with similar results? If I were to ever buy an iPad in the future, I would want my Pre's MyTether wifi connection to work properly.
    Perhaps your 3G connection to Sprint was not reliable or was weak at that location. From what you describe I don't see this as any sort of limitation with the ipad, or the pre, or the inter-connectivity of both devices.
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    i love apple, their products are worth every penny (other then the iphone) but I see no reason to have an ipad.

I will say the f-u to the pc is choice though, maybe it was a late april fools joke?

id rather have my pre then an ipad (ill change my mind when it can be made a remote for my stereo system.
    I don't understand why there is so much talk about this crap product. It makes no sense. It is nothing new! Maybe for Apple, but not in the world of computers. Hasn't anyone heard of the Tablet PC? It's 10x more practical and better than a ******** iPad.
    Twitter: @Eddie255
    You guys keep making the mistake of thinking of the iPad as a laptop, netbook or PC replacement. It's none of that.

What it does is limited for sure. But what it does, it does well. Instant on, great browser, multitouch apps, lots of video options, ipod, killer e-reader, etc. A cheap optional data plan with no contract.
    mytether gives me super slow speed on ipod touch if that helps.
    If I didn't have an ipod touch I might have gotten an ipad, but the only benefit over what I have now with my Pre and ipod is a bigger screen.

Microsoft Courier is what I'm waiting for. WOW..
  12.    #12  
    I'm sure some of you may have already read about the iPad's problem regarding wifi connection.

There are a number of articles like below reporting the wifi problem:

Apple Confirms iPad Wi-Fi Problems; Try These Fixes | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

I knew this problem existed firsthand the first day the iPad came out, while I was trying to tether the iPad using MyTether. Just another reason to not buy a first generation of anything Apple! I wasn't going to buy this thing anyway!
    Casey
    My guess is your Pre's signal wasn't that great inside of Best Buy thus causing the slow speeds. You're comparing Best Buy's internet connection to your (I'm assuming 3G) connection on your mobile phone? That's really apples and oranges if you ask me ..

I laugh at how many here are quick to bring up the iPad's issues (even though I've personally yet to see any).
    Casey, how in the world are you? Good to see you still around!

Tony
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    My iPad tethers great with my Pre Plus.
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    My iPad tethers great with my Pre Plus.
    While i did have an issue at 1st, after reloading mytether it works great, speed seems to be the same as when i use it on my netbook

To all the negative posters, oh well, you don't like it, you have your reasons not to like it, others like myself have reasons to like it , so move on.
    Last edited by sjjones; 04/09/2010 at 12:19 PM.
    My connection has been normal while tethering to my iPad. This thing is awesome by the way, but ya the Microsoft courier looks awesome. Hopefully they announce it officially on the 12th.
    I know through Verizon MHS is very slow on all devices. At best I get 200-400 Kbs on my laptop using MHS. It will be a lot slower than most connections, except perhaps dial up at 56k. That slow speed has been consistent with all smartphones I have had with Verizon. The problem is that in my area the network is still EVDO rev 0 and not rev A. So what you may have been experiencing at BB was your pre connecting to a rev 0 network which is 25% slower that Rev A. The iPad problem is related to dual band routers. If you set your router to only use g or only use n it will have no problems. I have one, and it works fine. However, Apple does need to fix this problem ASAP. iPod is always slower on my home network. My macbook using a speed test with my netgear router gives me a download speed around 13 Mbs. That same router with my iPod only produces a download speed 7 Mbs. It is something with the hardware in the iPod, iPhone and now iPad.
    Last edited by wxman2003; 04/08/2010 at 09:01 PM.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    Casey, how in the world are you? Good to see you still around!

Tony
    Hi Tony,

I'm doing well, bud! Hope you're okay too! Yeah, I still chime in on this board periodically. I noticed your post count is double that of mine. That means I'm lagging, I must do better! I'm still on my original Pre from release date! I'm liking my Pre that much more after recently installing MyTether, finally! -Casey
    Casey
    I have used My Tether and Mobile Hotspot on my iPad. The interenet is blazing fast when I hook those two tether products up to my laptop... but on the iPad it is so slow I consider it unusable... Literally takes minutes to load a single page on the iPad! I do not see why it would be an unreliable wifi signal. The iPad picks up the signal right away and it "does" work... but super slow. Anyone else wanna chime in on this?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast