Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by erasef301 View Post
    I have used My Tether and Mobile Hotspot on my iPad. The interenet is blazing fast when I hook those two tether products up to my laptop... but on the iPad it is so slow I consider it unusable... Literally takes minutes to load a single page on the iPad! I do not see why it would be an unreliable wifi signal. The iPad picks up the signal right away and it "does" work... but super slow. Anyone else wanna chime in on this?
    pretty convinced it was an ipad defect, so i returned my iPad. the wifi issues are prevalent and so i figure i'd wait till they figure it out. Although it might be a palm issue since others are reporting if you search, that the ipod touch also has issues with speed.
    hey guys i made a thread about this too guess i didnt se this one but yea i got a sprint pre with MHS installed and let me just say its ridiculously slow compared to when i am using MHS with my macbook. I mean with MHS connected with my macbook i get about 1.3-1.5 mb down and about 600 kb up. but when connected to the ipad its at a f r i c k e n 150 kb down at most. I have no idea what the problem is. Do you guys have any solutions on how to fix this. I really need that mobile hot spot because i travel alot.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    I have an iPad and I've been tethering it to my Pre using myTether. In general, the iPad speeds and signal strength is just weak. This is supposedly caused by the aluminum casing on the back, which blocks the wifi signal (which is why the Apple logo is made out of plastic).

My home router signal strength is a bar or two lower than my MacBooks at the same location and the speeds are somewhat slower. Pre, myTether speeds are "bearable..."
    I performed some little comparison tests with my iPad, my Pre, and my laptop. iPad speeds were roughly 50 - 60% of that recorded on the other devices.

That matches my My Tether tests. The Pre's speeds were toughly twice that of the iPad whose connection it was using.

Something's up with the iPad. No doubt about it.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Try this if you are having connection problems.

1. After your iPad connects to mytether, go into your iPad wifi settings and hit renew lease.
    2. There is no step 2.

I tried this after I read this article and it's working great for me:
    Dietfluffy.... I am not having any problems connecting to my iPad... It's just the speeds. I am getting upload speeds of about 450 kbs and download sppeds of 160 kbs. This is not SUPER SLOW, but it is slow enough I notice it. On my laptop it FLYS when I load web pages. I am using the Mobile Hot Spot (SPRINT).

As it stands, I have still not found a solution to increasing the speed on the iPad. It sounds like it might be something we all have to live with. This is unfortunate.

If anyone finds a way to increase the speeds on their iPad with MHS please chime in! Thanks.
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    Just wanted to add my experience to this thread.

I have the Verizon Pre Plus with the Mobile Hotspot application and free hotspot service from Verizon (major reason I went with the pre).

When using it with my HP laptop I get great download speeds.
    When using it with my iPod Touch I get lousy download speeds.
    When using it with my iPad I get lousy download speeds.

When I use any of the above devices (Laptop, iPod, iPad) with my in-home wireless router I get consistently good speeds on all three devices.

So -- what conclusion can I draw?

There seems to be something going on with the Pre Plus Mobile Hotspot and the two Apple devices (iPod and iPad).

I tried some suggestions found in various threads ...
    renewing lease ...
    setting ip to manual ...

Both of these "solutions" seems to have helped raise the speed a little, but not to what it should be.

I am hopeful that someone (Apple, Palm, Verizon ...) will come up with a real solution to this problem.
    Im having connection issues now, since move less than 1/2 mile down the street. I am constantly dropping the connection ( from local and net ) to just local. When it stays connected, its ok - but not nearly as fast. I have descent signal strength, most of the time full bars too.... so I dunno.

Im using MHS -

Any ideas what could be the issue ?

THANKS!
    I'm getting good speeds at home and at work. At home 300 to 400 Kbs and at work 1.2 to 1.6 Mbs when connecting my iPad to my pre via MHS. I able to keep it connected by changing on the iPad the ip from DHCP to static when connected to MHS. Locks in every time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey Cheung View Post
    I'm sure some of you may have already read about the iPad's problem regarding wifi connection.

There are a number of articles like below reporting the wifi problem:

Apple Confirms iPad Wi-Fi Problems; Try These Fixes | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

I knew this problem existed firsthand the first day the iPad came out, while I was trying to tether the iPad using MyTether. Just another reason to not buy a first generation of anything Apple! I wasn't going to buy this thing anyway!
    I agree and apparantly so does Israel as they have banned the IPad for Wifi issues.
    The ban prevents anyone -- even tourists -- from bringing iPads into Israel until officials certify that they comply with local transmitter standards
    Israel Bans Apple iPad
    Phones in Family pre> pre> pre> Centro> Rant
    Ok, part of my issue is my phone keeps dropping down to the 1X connection, can I make it stop and only use EVDO?
    Quote Originally Posted by notaphonegeek View Post
    I agree and apparantly so does Israel as they have banned the IPad for Wifi issues.

Israel Bans Apple iPad
    That's an old story. The ban has already been lifted.
    Quote Originally Posted by bryantdunivan View Post
    i love apple, their products are worth every penny (other then the iphone) but I see no reason to have an ipad.
    I actually I think none of their products are worth every penny (incredibly overpriced computers that you can't upgrade) EXCEPT the iPhone, which you can't deny has over 150,000 apps and is pretty similar to the Pre.
    My ipad tethers to MHS everytime without issue. Using the myspeedtest app, I can see I regularly achieve 1mb/s dl and about 400kb/s on the upload. It's enough for me to surf the web fast enough where I'm not annoyed and actually do what I need to do.

IMO, MHS works very well with the ipad. The combination of Pre and ipad just can't be beat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperator64 View Post
    My ipad tethers to MHS everytime without issue. Using the myspeedtest app, I can see I regularly achieve 1mb/s dl and about 400kb/s on the upload. It's enough for me to surf the web fast enough where I'm not annoyed and actually do what I need to do.

IMO, MHS works very well with the ipad. The combination of Pre and ipad just can't be beat.
    Can you use Netflix well and consistently, like that?
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    I bought an ipod for my daughter and at best I get 13 kb/sec download. That's what it maxs at everytime. It definitely has something to do with the palm phones. I have a pre my brother has a pre and my wife has a pixi. Same thing with every phone. It really makes me mad because that's the whole reason I even bought the ipod so I didn't have to get a smartphone for her and pay the extra monthly bill but still have the same functionality with the web and youtube and stuff.
    Maybe I just live in an area with great coverage, but I would not tolerate 13kb/s. There's gotta something wrong with coverage in your area.

Anyway, I just tested netflix with mhs. I was able to successfully stream a movie. The app itself must be really amazing and be able to work with as few resources as possible. Mhs would disconnect here and there though. I'd estimate about once every 10 minutes or so, but then it'd reconnect and continue. Annoying yes, but I'd still consider it a success since it's enough to keep watching. Before this I had only used netflix on wifi, but now I can see using this just about anywhere.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12