Global Posts
    521 Global Posts
    Is it possible for the palm pre to have a pattern screen lock similar to the Driod?
    I hope soon, but i don't think it would be that easy for one of our developers to do it, palm might need to do it on their end
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
    If its anything like the Storm 1 it is something that has to be developed by the Phone/OS maker. Because if a 3rd party makes it, it wont retain full locking capabilities.

For Example, on the Storm you could turn on Pattern lock which would lock the phone EXCEPT you could still hold down the app button to switch apps and bypass it since the program does not have the same access as the built in lock feature (hope that makes sense I'm not the most technical when it comes to programming).

edit: basically all it did on the storm was lock the touch screen... So I never bothered DL it because it was just for show and not functional. I am going to go out on a limb and say Palm will never do this either because wouldn't this be something that Google has a patent on? They introduced it a long time ago on the G1 correct?
    Quote Originally Posted by hawse771 View Post
    If its anything like the Storm 1 it is something that has to be developed by the Phone/OS maker. Because if a 3rd party makes it, it wont retain full locking capabilities.

For Example, on the Storm you could turn on Pattern lock which would lock the phone EXCEPT you could still hold down the app button to switch apps and bypass it since the program does not have the same access as the built in lock feature (hope that makes sense I'm not the most technical when it comes to programming).

edit: basically all it did on the storm was lock the touch screen... So I never bothered DL it because it was just for show and not functional. I am going to go out on a limb and say Palm will never do this either because wouldn't this be something that Google has a patent on? They introduced it a long time ago on the G1 correct?
    yeah i agree with you that palm need to add this feature since it will require deep access to the main Linux ui, but blackberry had this also, in fact i think they had it first, then the G1. if it is not patented the i hope palm takes a hit on this.
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Menace187 View Post
    yeah i agree with you that palm need to add this feature since it will require deep access to the main Linux ui, but blackberry had this also, in fact i think they had it first, then the G1. if it is not patented the i hope palm takes a hit on this.
    Blackberry couldn't have had this before G1, the G1 came out before the Storm. It was made for the Storm because a lot of people requested an app like the one on G1
    oh sorry, well maybe you are right was not to sure about that anyways. but the point is if blackberry can have it then palm can, unless if they was licensing it from android or something.
    i like the simple pin lock just as much
    PLEASE develop the pattern unlock!
    Dana A. Max, Psy.D.
    Licensed Psychologist
    Palm III, Palm IIIc, Palm m515, Treo 650, Centro
    They need to make something different that is not only quicker but only on palm phones.
    How bout finger print recognition or retinal scanning?
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    How bout finger print recognition or retinal scanning?
    It would conflict with screen protectors (skinomi,zagg) and cause all kinds of authentication issues.

-
    I asked for this awhile back... But nothing happen yet!