Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    can CPU scaling or smartreflex be run at the same time?
    I would not advise experimenting with different hardware-related patches at the same time unless *you* know *exactly* what you are doing.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    Very Cool! But why is this path to overclocking safe(r)? Overclocking, for years, has been the thing only the bravest and most fool-hardy technocrats were willing to try. Whenever the subject came up, someone would always warn against it.

With this one, it seems that there are more happy, successful overclockers, and the naysayers are a dying breed. What makes it different this time?
    I believe it's only "safer" because this specific processor seems to handle it better, based on the simple fact the it works OK for a relatively large sample of users. There will still be some percentage of processors (unknown, but apparently small) that can't handle the increase and will have problems/errors/freakouts. It will almost certainly shorten the life of the processor by some percentage (unknown). But for some percentage (apparently significant) it will work fine, and the shorter life is not an issue (because people trade/change phones frequently).
    Quote Originally Posted by davis.rob View Post
    But for some percentage (apparently significant) it will work fine, and the shorter life is not an issue (because people trade/change phones frequently).
    I must be quite unusual - my last phone before the Pre was a Treo 650, and I used it for 6 years continuously.

Being in Australia, my nearest replacement device (an unlocked GSM Pre) is over 15,000 km (9,500 miles) away, and costs over 500 Euros (USD$675) plus shipping.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Sorry it's a little OT here, but in checking the processor speed Is there a difference between running
    cat /proc/cpuinfo
    from Terminus as compared with Command box from PC in a rooted Pre?
    With the former I get 598, with the latter I get 498 in a stock Pre which has not been overclocked.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    Sorry it's a little OT here, but in checking the processor speed Is there a difference between running
    cat /proc/cpuinfo
    from Terminus as compared with Command box from PC in a rooted Pre?
    With the former I get 598, with the latter I get 498 in a stock Pre which has not been overclocked.
    Terminus is an SDL application, which Palm runs at 600MHz.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    I must be quite unusual - my last phone before the Pre was a Treo 650, and I used it for 6 years continuously.

Being in Australia, my nearest replacement device (an unlocked GSM Pre) is over 15,000 km (9,500 miles) away, and costs over 500 Euros (USD$675) plus shipping.
    Certainly different than the current mind set in the US where they almost give the phones away for a 2 year renewal. But I was actually trying to say that the life span was not an issue for *some* people (poorly worded on my part). If you're expecting the Pre to last for 5 or 6 years, then it would seem the reduced life span might very well come into play (if I understand the numbers correctly). At 2 years, not so much.
    is it possibly to change the clock of the cpu without the need to restart? When listening to music I would like to slow it down a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post

-- Rod
    Rod,

That is indeed unusual. I switch phones about one per year. A good amount of people on this site do the same. More unusual, however, is that you know so damn much and have given so much to this community. Thanks again to WebOSInternals, CAJ, Unixpsycho, Jason, and all of you other awesome devs out there that help take the Pre to another level.

Lou
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12