Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    WebOS Internals presents "The Holy Grail of Homebrew".

A means to automatically restore your homebrew applications, patches and data (including data from App Catalog applications like those 3D games in which you've worked so hard to level-up) after your device is accidentally (or purposefully) wiped by the webOS Doctor or an Erase of Apps&Data.

See http://bit.ly/holy-grail-of-homebrew for more info ...

Coincidentally released on Easter Sunday ...

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 04/04/2010 at 09:04 AM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    wow! really?! Monty Python would be very proud!

This is HUGE. ;-)

...and even "huge-ier" ;-) would it / could it work for migrating to a new, or replaced webOS device?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddK View Post
    wow! really?! Monty Python would be very proud!

would it / could it work for migrating to a new, or replaced webOS device?
    Absolutely. Just move the 'saverestore' directory from the USB drive of the old device to the USB drive of the new device. All done with just Preware and Save/Restore.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post

Absolutely. Just move the 'saverestore' directory from the USB drive of the old device to the USB drive of the new device. All done with just Preware and Save/Restore.

-- Rod
    wow. x2!
    WebOS Internals never ceases to amaze me. Great job guys!
    Wow, just in time! I have to Doctor my phone today!
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sjamie View Post
    Wow, just in time! I have to Doctor my phone today!
    Doh!
    I Doctored yesterday, finishing up this AM, and my wife was quite upset that the kids were in their baskets and I was on the computer switching things around.m Thanks for the awesome WebOs internals!
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Fantastic! Nice one
    Wow, I'm donating this time. Preware is a complete solution now.

I just doctored my phone for 1.4.1 and was wishing this feature existed.

If you use Preware and haven't donated, the time has come.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    wow just wow!
    As great as this is, for some people it is a little much, is there by chance a simpler method coming with the final release?
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by kel101 View Post
    As great as this is, for some people it is a little much, is there by chance a simpler method coming with the final release?
    In the fullness of time, we expect to have a preference in Preware which will automatically keep your Saved Package List in sync with what you have installed, and a preference in Save/Restore which will do periodic saves.

The combination of those two automation features will mean that your USB drive always has a good saved copy of your list of installed applications and patches and data.

You can then combine that with any other automatic desktop sync software that you choose to actually back-up the data to another area (Save/Restore is specifically not called Backup, because just moving data around on the same physical device is not a true backup).

For reinstall, you install Preware and Save/Restore and then just hit one button in each. Hopefully that's easy enough

-- Rod
    If you decided to install some patches, would Preware realize this and only install the other patches?

There is one patch I typically install and do a luna restart before I install the rest of them, because I tend to get IPKG errors (Named Pages In App Launcher). There are a few other patches that sometimes need luna restarts as well before you can install other patches. How will Preware handle this?
    I just doctored my wife's pre as well as mine yesterday. That's a lot of work!

Webos Internals, I couldn't even imagine all the time you have put into webos to make it awsome. Thank you for what you do!
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmNSH View Post
    If you decided to install some patches, would Preware realize this and only install the other patches?

There is one patch I typically install and do a luna restart before I install the rest of them, because I tend to get IPKG errors (Named Pages In App Launcher). There are a few other patches that sometimes need luna restarts as well before you can install other patches. How will Preware handle this?
    I've had this same issue with this patch so it's one of the first one's I reinstall. The other is Scrim-Multi...found out the hard way with the 1.4.1.1 update and ended up having to use EPR and start from scratch. AUPT worked flawlessly on my wife's phone, though!
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmNSH View Post
    Yes, if a package is already installed it will not try and reinstall it. We always make our stuff idempotent (i.e. you can run the same thing many times and always get the same result).

You should never need to do a luna restart between the application of multiple patches. The Luna restart is only required to see the result of the patches. A Luna restart does not alter the files themselves, so I can't think of how it could be a cure for conflicting patches.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    You should never need to do a luna restart between the application of multiple patches. The Luna restart is only required to see the result of the patches. A Luna restart does not alter the files themselves, so I can't think of how it could be a cure for conflicting patches.

-- Rod
    Interesting. I'm not sure why, but next time I doctor or we have an update, I will write down the patches that this occurs with. This happens in both Preware and WOSQI. If a luna restart is required to see the patches, then does the OS cache the file? Maybe it's something to do with that.

Again, I'm not sure why it occurs, but it has happened at least three times to me. Luna restarts always fix it and allow me to continue to install the rest of my patches.
    Rod -- I think I know the answer to this question, but going to ask anyway..

I have a few homebrew & app catalog apps that I have loaded on to my phone that are no longer available. This is not a case that I am too cheap to buy the app catalog version, but some apps have just been taken down altogether. I assume if I do a erase/doctor/replacement, those apps will be lost and NOT backed up, right?

just wanted to check..thnx!
    Quote Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
    Rod -- I think I know the answer to this question, but going to ask anyway..

I have a few homebrew & app catalog apps that I have loaded on to my phone that are no longer available. This is not a case that I am too cheap to buy the app catalog version, but some apps have just been taken down altogether. I assume if I do a erase/doctor/replacement, those apps will be lost and NOT backed up, right?

just wanted to check..thnx!
    That is an excellent question.. I also have a few homebrew apps that are no longer available, one I still have the ipkg and the other I do not. The one I don't have an ipkg for is a shoutcast client that I really liked so I stopped updating it (Shoutcast 0.9.40)
    You guys simply never cease to amaze.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast