Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Ok, since this thread needs a good derail...

I've been hearing about Shazaam for a while, but haven't gotten around to looking it up. What's it "do", and why does it depend on the mic?
    Last edited by callmechewy; 04/05/2010 at 04:27 PM.
    Wow a lot has happened here sense I left for school lol.

Anyway to all the people that seem opposed to this feature for some odd reason. How do you expect Webos to grow if this feature and the mic API is released. Do you just want it to lack features forever. And that's not for just that feature I'm talking about every feature thats missing that can arguably be defined as a standard in the mobile world.
    Quote Originally Posted by callmechewy View Post
    Ok, since this thread needs a good derail...

I've been hearing about Shazaam for a while, but haven't gotten around to looking it up. What's it "do", and why does it depend on the mic?
    In simple terms - You hear a song playing, but can't identify it. You run the app (or dial a number), hold up the phone, record a clip, and the service identifies the song.
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post

Anyway to all the people that seem opposed to this feature for some odd reason. How do you expect Webos to grow if this feature and the mic API is released. Do you just want it to lack features forever. And that's not for just that feature I'm talking about every feature thats missing that can arguably be defined as a standard in the mobile world.
    I think you need to go back and read closer. I didn't see anyone opposed to the feature, most even openly supported the idea of having it. What some of us disputed was the childish demands and the notion that it was somehow "owed" to everyone. I'd love to see an app that suports this, as long as it does it well. I don't even mind paying for it.
    I have had voice dialing on other phones but they don't work well. Do I miss it no? Would I like to have...yes just to say it has it. Can I wait for it. How long can I wait - forever.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts

We do want webOS to grow. But personally, I think that developing voice commands is less of a priority than other potential improvements Palm could make. There are other things Palm could be doing (and maybe are) with their limited resources which could advance the OS faster than pandering to the minority who deem voice commands so important.
    Quote Originally Posted by treogangsta View Post
    I just wish everyone would stop the palm is a little company line. You don't get extra points for being a little company. they let microsoft and rim take the smartphone market from them. they sold their OS to Access and had to start from scratch. Yet they created the best OS out there imho. let them own their wins and defeats without excuses. palm was the smartphone king don't forget that. hopefully the old dog still has some card tricks left.
    They don't get extra points for being small, but some of its shortcoming can be explained by that fact. They can only do so much with what they have to work with.

No one is "opposed" to it. Most people are aware that this isn't a "GOTTA HAVE IT ZOMGZ!" feature, it's more of an "oh, i'd like to have that at some point" feature.

I (personally) would get a lot of use out of it in it's various forms, with how many different uses you could find for this. I would love to be able to use Shazaam, record notes at meetings, use Voice dialing, etc.

I'm more than happy to give Palm the time they need to meet their roadmap expectations though. I paid money to them for the use of their phone, with the features that they included (or did NOT include). That is the extent of what I "DESERVE" from them.

It's up to them to put out features and updates, and it's up to ME to decide whether or not I will stick with them long enough to get mic access.

From what i've heard you and a couple other people saying, you would be much happier with an iPod or some other phone that DOES include this functionality. If that is the case, then that's all well and good, there's nothing wrong with that. However, I would appreciate it if you (and others like you) would refrain from posting threads that are purposely inflammatory and useless.

If you have regrets about buying your Pre, or have complaints about Palm and their update schedule/feature schedule, then please let them know about where you are supposed to: Palm's own forums. My fingers are officially tired now. Thanks for coming!
    Although posting on Palm forums is not necessarily a bad thing. I do want to point out that Palm does have an official Feedback portal that this information can be provided to.

Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    I'd have to agree! Are they saying WHY ... they won't add it?
    Actually, in the most recent update, there was a lot of work done on the microphone. I have a feeling voice recording and voice activated commands are coming very soon.
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    The way some of you try to defend Palm borders on laughable. So, let's go down the line.

1. Popularity of voice-activated dialing. EVERY smart phone Sprint sells, including the Treo Pro, has the feature with the exception of the Pre and the Pixi. Furthermore 21 NON-SMART PHONES sold by Sprint HAVE VOICE-ACTIVATED DIALING capabilities. If this wasn't a popular feature, then certainly fewer phones would have it.

2. Palm is a small company. Do you really think a customer walking into a phone store says, that's a small company, I'll support it? Of course not. They look for the best possible phone that their budget allows.

3. Give Palm patience. Why? What has Palm ever done to deserve my patience or compassion? It's a corporation whose only goal is suck money out of me and you - and as a capitalist, I point out that is exactly what a corporation is designed to do.

4. Complaints are childish. By that logic, we should never complain about any product. The reality is that Palm continues to leave a nearly ubiquitous feature out and we're calling the company on its mistake. If Palm hears Pre owners complaining, may be, just may be, they'll get their head out of the sand and add the feature.

What is the childish is the way some of you are so loyal to Palm. News flash, Palm does not care about you. Not now and not ever. If you like the phone fine. If you own stock in the company, fine. (Though you should really take a good look at their financial statements.) But don't be emotional about the company. Palm, or any other corporation, does not deserve your moral support. Save your affection for another person, or a good dog.

5. Safety. Should you drive and talk on the cell phone at the same time? No, I do it, but I acknowledge it isn't safe. It also isn't safe to have your head down, manually dialing a phone while walking. Just do a news search on texting injuries; there are many stories about people walking into objects, falling down stairs, etc because they were walking and texting. At least with voice-activated dialing you can keep looking straight ahead when trying to make a call. (Is the safest option to sit/stand still and then dial/talk? Yes, but that is not always feasible in the real world.)

The reality is that Palm has had nine months to add a feature that is found on every other smart phone and 21 "dumb" phones sold by Sprint. Considering that Palm is having problems moving product, this exclusion speaks volumes about how bad Palm's product management team is.
    Quote Originally Posted by sweat View Post
    The way some of you try to defend Palm borders on laughable. So, let's go down the line.

1. Popularity of voice-activated dialing. EVERY smart phone Sprint sells, including the Treo Pro, has the feature with the exception of the Pre and the Pixi. Furthermore 21 NON-SMART PHONES sold by Sprint HAVE VOICE-ACTIVATED DIALING capabilities. If this wasn't a popular feature, then certainly fewer phones would have it.

2. Palm is a small company. Do you really think a customer walking into a phone store says, that's a small company, I'll support it? Of course not. They look for the best possible phone that their budget allows.

3. Give Palm patience. Why? What has Palm ever done to deserve my patience or compassion? It's a corporation whose only goal is suck money out of me and you - and as a capitalist, I point out that is exactly what a corporation is designed to do.

4. Complaints are childish. By that logic, we should never complain about any product. The reality is that Palm continues to leave a nearly ubiquitous feature out and we're calling the company on its mistake. If Palm hears Pre owners complaining, may be, just may be, they'll get their head out of the sand and add the feature.

What is the childish is the way some of you are so loyal to Palm. News flash, Palm does not care about you. Not now and not ever. If you like the phone fine. If you own stock in the company, fine. (Though you should really take a good look at their financial statements.) But don't be emotional about the company. Palm, or any other corporation, does not deserve your moral support. Save your affection for another person, or a good dog.

5. Safety. Should you drive and talk on the cell phone at the same time? No, I do it, but I acknowledge it isn't safe. It also isn't safe to have your head down, manually dialing a phone while walking. Just do a news search on texting injuries; there are many stories about people walking into objects, falling down stairs, etc because they were walking and texting. At least with voice-activated dialing you can keep looking straight ahead when trying to make a call. (Is the safest option to sit/stand still and then dial/talk? Yes, but that is not always feasible in the real world.)

The reality is that Palm has had nine months to add a feature that is found on every other smart phone and 21 "dumb" phones sold by Sprint. Considering that Palm is having problems moving product, this exclusion speaks volumes about how bad Palm's product management team is.
    No matter how many real world examples you use, no matter how good your logic is. Certain people will not listen or just make excuses. When my one year is up I'm out of here. I cant speak for you, but a few people just make this community rotten. And I know as soon as someone see's this their going to just scream "BYE" but I don't even care anymore. That's how a few can just spoil it for some.
    No matter how many real world examples you use, no matter how good your logic is. Certain people will not listen or just make excuses. When my one year is up I'm out of here. I cant speak for you, but a few people just make this community rotten. And I know as soon as someone see's this their going to just scream "BYE" but I don't even care anymore. That's how a few can just spoil it for some.
    I hear the violins playing and the tears falling already! As to why you felt that you leaving was worth posting...i'll never understand.

No one (except for Palm) cares about why you're crying and leaving. It's a sad truth of the internet.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    While i wouldn't mind having Voice Dial, i wouldn't use it that much. Its more of a gimmick than a requirement when i buy a phone. Hell i didn't know the razr had it!
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    I agree that there are people who love Palm way too much and seem incapable of acknowledging the company's many problems and faults.

The reason I'm considering jumping to Android in June has nothing to do with this forum and everything to do with Palm's lousy product management. Though I like my Pre, I can't justify continue dealing with no voice-activated dialing, a camera that can't read bar codes and OS updates that slow the phone. Not to mention the lack of various other features necessary to actually convince others to buy the phone.

My guess is that some Palm-lover will simply say "good riddance," a sign that they too just don't get the reality that Palm is in a big hole and falling further into it.
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    I posted a similar complaint in Palm's support forums and the moderator locked the thread after I posted the numbers about just how many other mobile phones have voice-activated dialing. Another sign of the bunker mentality that exists at Palm.
    I posted a similar complaint in Palm's support forums and the moderator locked the thread after I posted the numbers about just how many other mobile phones have voice-activated dialing. Another sign of the bunker mentality that exists at Palm.
    I locked the thread because it proves to have no further value that can be added just as I see in this thread. Instead of letting users go back and forth complaining about the feature not being there, I posted a link to where feedback can get officially submitted and for that the thread does not need to continue to be open.

I didn't lock it because "Palm doesn't care" or any mentality like that moderators on the forums have a "job" and one of those is to keep control.

For users interested here is the thread on the Palm forums
    Why Still No Voice Dialing Capabilities? - Palm Support Community
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    the Palm treo 755p didn't have voice dialing there were third party paid app but does where not that good

just a sidenote
    I agree that there are people who love Palm way too much and seem incapable of acknowledging the company's many problems and faults.

The reason I'm considering jumping to Android in June has nothing to do with this forum and everything to do with Palm's lousy product management. Though I like my Pre, I can't justify continue dealing with no voice-activated dialing, a camera that can't read bar codes and OS updates that slow the phone. Not to mention the lack of various other features necessary to actually convince others to buy the phone.

My guess is that some Palm-lover will simply say "good riddance," a sign that they too just don't get the reality that Palm is in a big hole and falling further into it.
    And a few people whining about the same non-feature of the phone doesn't constitute a "dire need" for it. If you, or anyone else, chooses to "leave" (how does one really "leave" a phone anyway - was there a marriage ceremoney or something??) that's fine. Find a phone that has the things you are looking for.

Right now, there is no other phone besides the Pre that would have the things I'm looking for. It's not a matter of "loving Palm" - I was ready to drop my 755P for something else when the Pre was announced. I had already decided on a BlackBerry, but the Pre looked better than what I was considering at that time.

You guys come on here and b & moan about those that don't understand that "it's just a phone" - but reality is I think it is you folks that don't understand that. It is indeed just a phone. If it doesn't do what you want, and there's something out there that does, go for it. No one here is going to be angry about it.

However, when you come on here and post idiotic stuff that those of us that are happy with the device just the way it is are somehow not seeing things properly - that's when you're going to get blasted. You guys are the ones that bought something less than what you "needed", not us.

Now, move on if you're unhappy. Drop the mission to spread your unhappines, I don't think it's working...
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast