Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    I cant afford one right now. And I'm not just blowing hot air I'm explaining how important it is.
    Ahhh, so you're just going to live dangerously instead. I see.

How about its becoming illegal to operate your phone in a lot of states. If you were to get caught even holding you phone for a second, you could get fined.
    Again, in those states with such ridiculous laws (fortunately, I don't live in such a state), then one shouldn't hold the phone. If one must have a phone in such a state, then this apparently isn't the one for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by sweat View Post
    BTW, shortly after typing my last response, I was using my Pre - which has the latest update - and the browser completely locked up for 15-20 seconds. Some update.

There is a growing number of Pre users, including myself, who are becoming disgruntled. Palm supporters can call us childish if they want, but the reality is that Palm cannot afford to lose any customers right now.
    There are also a large number of users that are more than happy with their Pre:

March Smart Phone Madness Winner: Palm Pre Plus!
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    This thread has turned into Pre-Defense Force V. Rational thinkers. The phone lacks a basic and vital feature (and a safety one at that). Why defend it's abscence? Why not demand it?
    Uh-huh, demand it because that's so ... well ... rational in thought, right???

Why not ask a developer to work on it. Why not let them know what you'd be willing to pay for such an app. Why not simply express your desire for it, demonstrate what you're willing to do to get it, and drop the "demands" (which have no teeth)?

I know, I know, that's somehow "Pre-Defense Force" instead of rational thought. Meanwhile, I'll continue my dialog with the author of the application I bought and paid for on my last Palm device (that worked), and will likely be using it in a few months.

The whiners out there will never really cease to amaze me.
    I agree that v.a.d. should be added by Palm. The problem with the position taken by the vickmackey-named "rational thinkers" is that, unfortunately, Palm doesn't have the resources to do everything it wants and needs to do as soon it and we would like it to. It is a small company with limited resources. I'm fairly certain they have a plan for how they go about fixing/updating the features on the phone. V.a.d., unfortunately for a (probably) small percentage of people, was not at the top of the list. Hardbeatz intimated that it is at least on the list- and the source code backs up his claim. Feel free to ***** and moan about it not being on the phone yet, but it sounds like it will be as soon as Palm can get around to it.

There are only so many hours in the day and Palm is not a huge company, as we all know. What Palm SHOULD do and what Palm CAN do are two different things. I'm sure if you asked the programmers and higher-ups at Palm, they would agree with those that think they SHOULD have v.a.d., a better calendar, and fewer bugs. I honestly think they're doing the most they can with what they have. If it's not good enough for you, there are a lot of other options out there.

As for me, I'll stick with Palm until I feel there is something better out there. At the moment, in spite of everything that is missing/buggy, the Pre is the best phone available, IMO.
    This is a pre forum. *****ing and *****fests are the norm and accepted actually. Did you sign up here just to lay praises at Palm's feet? Or did you sign up to have a constructive discussion about the pros and cons.
    "constructive discussion" departed this thread a long time ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Speebs View Post
    I bought my Pre knowing that it was released early and that Palm would be adding many features. If people bought the phone based on what it included at release time, then nobody would have bought it.
    Can't speak for the other hundreds of thousands, but I bought mine knowing exactly what it would do, and would have been satisfied had it done only that. The others are a bonus.

So much for the "nobody" theory. I love absolutes, they are so easy to prove false...
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou View Post
    As for me, I'll stick with Palm until I feel there is something better out there. At the moment, in spite of everything that is missing/buggy, the Pre is the best phone available, IMO.
    Thank you, very well-reasoned and well thought out post. I notice that it seems to be contridicting the notion that "Palm is Choosing Not To Add Voice-Activated Dialing", which is the point of the thread.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mjdotts View Post
    Well, now you can say you do I don't personally use it, but my wife uses it exclusively. She puts her plantronics Blue Tooth in when she get in the car, and any call she makes she just taps the button by her ear and says the name she wants to dial. Eyes never leave the road. That's really the way it should be. Those that think they can drive while looking at a phone and be just as safe are deluding themselves. And Palm should choose not to be a party to this. Just Add It!

BTW, my Pre Plus does have video recording with the webOS 1.4.0. Is the Pre "original" not able to take advantage of this?
    My point was that voice command/dialing is something of a niche feature, where, in my opinion, Palm shouldn't be concentrating its resources. For every one person who wants voice command, there are probably 10 who want a better Facebook app, or who would appreciate Windows Live Messenger in Synergy, but it's only the voice dialing whiners who make such a big deal about it.

For the normal, average potential customer, voice dialing isn't a big deal as far as I'm concerned. If integrated and advertised properly, there are a ton of other features which would be much more attractive to the average consumer. In Europe particularly, Windows Live Messenger is extremely popular, and that could be a big draw here.

And yes, the original Pre did receive video recording in the 1.4 update.

As a semi-(ir)relevant aside, as far as safety concerns go, you could extend the argument and say that people shouldn't be on the phone AT ALL whilst driving, and that anyone who uses even handsfree technologies is putting themselves at danger. There have been various studies which have concluded that the concentration required to hold a conversation via speakerphone is enough to distract them enough from driving to cause an accident. I believe at some point the UK was even looking at making speakerphone conversations illegal whilst driving. In the US, there appears to have been some pressure from research groups to not exclude hands-free kits from current law. By your logic, "those that think they can hold a cellphone conversation and be just as safe are deluding themselves," and why should Palm pander to people who stubbornly continue to talk on their phone whilst driving and facilitate such dangerous behaviour?

Some documents about this:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/21/te...agewanted=1&em
    Documents: Department of Transportation's National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
    This is a pre forum. *****ing and *****fests are the norm and accepted actually. Did you sign up here just to lay praises at Palm's feet? Or did you sign up to have a constructive discussion about the pros and cons.
    On some real ish, WILL YOU ALL STOP SAYING "I DONT FIND THIS IMPORATANT AND WONT USE IT".. You really sound like palm *******. Please stop with the BS and lying to yourself saying you dont use it or wont use it. You give them a slap on the wrist for features lacking that should be included at launch. Its been 9 months since release of the pre and the feature not here yet. Someone made a post like this the other day and I've come to the conclusion that the feature will never come. It will be a blessing from the almighty that this feature comes. I really don't see how you all can just be so cool about not having a safety feature.

And to all the palm ******* please get you head out of your *** and join us in the real world. Thanks.

And i apologize for the language. But not for offending anybody.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    "constructive discussion" departed this thread a long time ago.
    I'm fairly certain "constructive discussion" was murdered just after it walked in the door (page 2 for those interested).

Also, voice dialing is NOT a saftey feature. However, not talking on your phone while driving IS a saftey feature. Voice dialing is a "perk", and something that is fun (or even productive) to use, but in no way is it a "safety feature".

I used to use voice dialing all the time with my Voyager and when I had OnStar in my car. Do I miss it? Sometimes.
    Am I petty and childish enough to come onto the PreCentral forums and whine about it? No.

Cause we all know that PreCentral is a MUCH better place to post suggestions or complaints than PALM forums, right??!!

Right?

Guess not.
    Yes it is a safety feature. Imagine your in a car driving, you want to call someone. Instead of looking at your phone and selecting the contact and risking your life and others by taking your eyes off the road. You just press the button on you bluetooth, say a command and you can call someone with talkin your eyes off the road. And you really cant see that as a safety feature.

I got the phone because I thought webos would be a great experience, and I'm sorry you didn't find my apology pleasing. But that's not my job.
    When did you find out it didn't have voice dial?
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Global Posts
    348 Global Posts
    I don't understand why people aren't focusing on the bigger picture.. Why has it taken Palm so long to release API access to the Microphone?

If Palm doesn't want to provide a voice dialing feature, then at least provide API access so that a developer can make one.

Also, if you don't want voice access, then don't use it, but at least Palm can do to alleviate this issue, is give devs access to that damn API already... What's the hold up?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitalis View Post
    I don't understand why people aren't focusing on the bigger picture.. Why has it taken Palm so long to release API access to the Microphone?

If Palm doesn't want to provide a voice dialing feature, then at least provide API access so that a developer can make one.

Also, if you don't want voice access, then don't use it, but at least Palm can do to alleviate this issue, is give devs access to that damn API already... What's the hold up?
    I'll agree with the sentiment (that it'd be nice to have access through the API), but I know absolutely nothing about programming or designing a phone, so I'm not going to say that it's "taking too long" or anything like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitalis View Post

Exactly. What, indeed?
    Voice dialing IS coming, just in a few more months.
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Wow, such insight. Such a well-founded well-researched opinion backed up by so many convincing pieces of evidence. I am totally blown away.
    Your screen name isn't exactly Mike Carnes.

If you want some evidence to my assertion that even Palm doesn't have access to the microphone API, I direct your attention to this March 11, 2010 job posting at Palm:

http://recruit.trovix.com/jobhostmas...nok5o3fbvguwie

Up until Palm released the video recording feature in WebOS 1.4.0, there hasn't been a single app from Palm that I've noticed that made use of the microphone. I suspect that the video recorder app cheated, and went directly to the hardware or the lowest level of the software to bypass the lack of an existing microphone API. Hence, there *still* is no provided API.

Quoting the above job posting:

Media framework caused a huge amount of excitement at CES this year with the launch HTML5 media support and video recording, and the team is capitalizing on the achievements to further improve and enhance the end user and developer experience for media on the platform. The media framework team is responsible for the media experience in Web OS through the APIs that software developers use to provide media rich applications.

We are looking for an experienced senior software engineer to work on media framework, media APIs and media policy.
    I like this part:

Additional desirable attributes:

• Understanding of Linux audio APIs such as PulseAudio and
    • Knowledge of multimedia streaming protocols (http, rtsp...ect)
    • Low level debugging experience
    If Palm was hiring a programmer less than a month ago to develop media APIs and specifically looking for someone with Linux/PulseAudio experience, then I rest my case that there is no current API available for either Palm or third-party developers.....
    There have been numerous studies which have concluded that talking on the phone via a hands-free system is not significantly safer than holding it in your hands. The primary danger is the distraction caused by the conversation, not the fact that you're holding the phone.

VAD is a nice feature, but it has nothing to do with safety.
    Quote Originally Posted by idontwan2know View Post
    There have been numerous studies which have concluded that talking on the phone via a hands-free system is not significantly safer than holding it in your hands. The primary danger is the distraction caused by the conversation, not the fact that you're holding the phone.

Anything that diverts the driver's attention to anything but driving is inherently "more dangerous." Having a conversation is one, thinking about holding a phone to your head is another, and so on.

I don't really think VAD is a safety feature per se, but one fewer distraction is safer.

If people were really worried about safety, they would pull over to make any calls. But of course, there are circumstances where people are working or when you must be on a call and you're on the expressway where pulling over isn't a safe option. But chit-chatting because you're bored is going a little far...
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by idontwan2know View Post

I think the point is that if the phone can do hands-free calling in the first place, then people are going to use it in the car. It's pretty obvious that fumbling around and dialing on the phone is a lot less safe than dialing by voice (not to mention becoming increasingly illegal).

It alienates the population who want to legally use their phones while driving. Palm cannot afford to alienate anybody.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Can't speak for the other hundreds of thousands, but I bought mine knowing exactly what it would do, and would have been satisfied had it done only that. The others are a bonus.

So much for the "nobody" theory. I love absolutes, they are so easy to prove false...
    Hyperbole. Look it up.
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast