Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by greenoyster View Post
    The iPhone didn't support voice dialing until the 3GS. Of course, Apple can apparently get away with anything, but I think it goes to show that it's not #1 on everyone's must-have feature list.
    Kinda handy on an iPhone cause the contacts are soooo hard to find easily, especially when you are driving!
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    I really like Voice Activated Dialing. I have had it on previous phones and it was very handy. In my city (Pittsburgh) it is not a requirement to be hands free, however I use a headset if I am talking and driving. I also use Photodialer and will add contacts and remove them as I need to so that I have easy one-touch dialing while driving. Additionally, I understand the risks of dialing while driving and select appropriate times to dial, not in heavy, high speed, rush hour traffic.

To use voice dialing we should not be required, by Palm, to use bluetooth in our cars - some of us don't have it and like the electronics in our cars.

Palm's answer is reasonable so thanks for the reply but voice dialing is a safety feature and should be available whether used or not.
    Dan
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Absolutely, unequivocally, false. Would you like numbers? There are a lot of mobile phones out there that have virtually no features. You guys that want this so bad need to quit relying on "I wish it were so" support...

No they're not. As a matter of fact, you paid them for the priviledge of using their phone. And when you gave them your money, they made no promise to you about it having voice activated dialing. Why do you feel they owe it to you?

Personally, I hope to see it, but I don't think stomping my feet and threatning to hold my breath till I turn blue is going to bring it about.

Lots of children seem to be logging on to this forum lately...
    Go through the Sprint web site and start counting the numbers. You will see that most phones do have voice-activated dialing. If you disagree, provide a count.

As far Palm, they did ask me to use their phone. They are a corporation - it is their job to ask people to use their products. And I'm a customer who has the right to demand a better product.
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    I think our constant updates and the fact that we continue to address both bugs and missing features speaks for itself.

Despite the fact that voicedial is not available, there is many things we have added to the phone since 1.1 was launched a year ago.

Most companies will now be launching their first update to start addressing issues, Palm has released quite a few updates.

Only you know how patient you are going to be with a new OS, but that is why there is options available. We would love to keep as many customers as possible, but we would be looking into a mirage if we actually believed we wouldn't lose any.
    Several of Palm's updates have resulted in "too many cards" errors.

More importantly, Palm can't play "good enough" anymore. They need to get ahead of the curve, now. Not tomorrow, not next year. Instead, Palm is falling further and further behind.
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    BTW, shortly after typing my last response, I was using my Pre - which has the latest update - and the browser completely locked up for 15-20 seconds. Some update.

There is a growing number of Pre users, including myself, who are becoming disgruntled. Palm supporters can call us childish if they want, but the reality is that Palm cannot afford to lose any customers right now.
    Sweat, Koolaid Kid and everyone else complaining about a missing feature from a phone you bought willingly knowing that the feature is missing rings hollow. I'm sorry but I have no sympathy for your complaints when you bought the phone knowing that certain features aren't there.

You have enough common sense to go to Sprint's website and look to see which phones have voice dialing so that you can come here and tell another poster that other phones have it but you come here and complain that the phone you CHOSE to buy doesn't have it.

Again, when I see posts like yours I just have to laugh b/c some of you are just overboard. You complain to complain. Palm did not force you or anyone else to buy there phones. You made that choice and then you complain and say "Well Palm should have done this and that and why can't they do this and that". All of you sound so played.

Next time you buy a product determine what features you want and then determine if those features are available on the product you want. But apparently you know how to do that b/c you can go to Sprint's website and look to see which phones have what and then come here to post a rebuttal to Hparsons. But that's prolly too logical.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Quote Originally Posted by sweat View Post
    BTW, shortly after typing my last response, I was using my Pre - which has the latest update - and the browser completely locked up for 15-20 seconds. Some update.

There is a growing number of Pre users, including myself, who are becoming disgruntled. Palm supporters can call us childish if they want, but the reality is that Palm cannot afford to lose any customers right now.
    Ok fine. Again, instead of complaining do something positive and get a product you would be satisfied with. And I'll assume that you think that every Pre's browser freezes and other phones don't have problems. Kinda of funny how you talk about a growing number of Pre users are becoming disgruntled, but from the sounds of it you were already disgruntled. From the posts I've seen so far most people love 1.4.1.

And this forum certainly doesn't represent a majority of users. Every product has it disgruntled class. Again, move on if you don't want the phone any more. And it sounds like you don't. I just don't get how complaining on a forum is going to change the problems you have with the device. You can make a change and be happy instead of complaining.
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    Even though apple didn't have it till years later after the originals release, They have it now and we don't.
    this.
    This thread has turned into Pre-Defense Force V. Rational thinkers. The phone lacks a basic and vital feature (and a safety one at that). Why defend it's abscence? Why not demand it?
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    This thread has turned into Pre-Defense Force V. Rational thinkers. The phone lacks a basic and vital feature (and a safety one at that). Why defend it's abscence? Why not demand it?
    What? Some of you need to grow-up. Pre-Defense force. O please! What is rational about bemoaning after the fact a feature you knew the product didn't have when you rationally decided to purchase the product? It doesn't sound rational. It sounds kind of wacky and delusional and a little bit childish. Notice I didn't call anyone in particular childish, but rather your behavior. But that is what I've come to expect from this forum.

I'm certainly not defending anything. It would be great if the phone had features it is currently missing. There is nothing wrong with asking for a feature to be added. But to start rants about something you knew wasn't there and you had 30 days to return it doesn't sound very rational. Its sounds like a b*tchfest for the sake of b*tching to see whom can whine and moan the best.

Some of you need to grow up and learn how to put things into the proper context.
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    What? Some of you need to grow-up. Pre-Defense force. O please! What is rational about bemoaning after the fact a feature you knew the product didn't have when you rationally decided to purchase the product? It doesn't sound rational. It sounds kind of wacky and delusional and a little bit childish. Notice I didn't call anyone in particular childish, but rather your behavior. But that is what I've come to expect from this forum.

I'm certainly not defending anything. It would be great if the phone had features it is currently missing. There is nothing wrong with asking for a feature to be added. But to start rants about something you knew wasn't there and you had 30 days to return it doesn't sound very rational. Its sounds like a b*tchfest for the sake of b*tching to see whom can whine and moan the best.

Some of you need to grow up and learn how to put things into the proper context.

This is a pre forum. *****ing and *****fests are the norm and accepted actually. Did you sign up here just to lay praises at Palm's feet? Or did you sign up to have a constructive discussion about the pros and cons.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    O.K. Playboy. I've heard enough about this "should have known it wasn't availble" bit. My 2 previous phones, LG (2 years old) and Motorola (5 years old!!!) had excellent voice recognition. With emerging state and local laws forbiding even HOLDING a phone while driving, it should never occur to anyone that a new "SMART" phone couldn't recognize your voice for dialing. It's like saying, "I didn't realize this new stove I bought didnt have burners" or "I didn't realize this new car I bought didn't have tires". There is no reasonable excuse for not having this availabe. It is a safety issue, period. I just bought 2 Palm Pre Pluses. They've only been availble about 1.5 months. Palm knew this was an issue before it was released and still released it. It's negligent. Pre owners have every right to be PI$$ED. The lady at tech support read me a line about using there feedback forum to tell Palm we want this. She could have recited it in her sleep, you tell she said it so much. Can anyone from Palm explain why it's taking so long other than to say "Well, we offer bug fixed and add features all the time" We want to know about this one!!! (BREATH)
    Quote Originally Posted by mjdotts View Post
    O.K. Playboy. I've heard enough about this "should have known it wasn't availble" bit. My 2 previous phones, LG (2 years old) and Motorola (5 years old!!!) had excellent voice recognition. With emerging state and local laws forbiding even HOLDING a phone while driving, it should never occur to anyone that a new "SMART" phone couldn't recognize your voice for dialing. It's like saying, "I didn't realize this new stove I bought didnt have burners" or "I didn't realize this new car I bought didn't have tires". There is no reasonable excuse for not having this availabe. It is a safety issue, period. I just bought 2 Palm Pre Pluses. They've only been availble about 1.5 months. Palm knew this was an issue before it was released and still released it. It's negligent. Pre owners have every right to be PI$$ED. The lady at tech support read me a line about using there feedback forum to tell Palm we want this. She could have recited it in her sleep, you tell she said it so much. Can anyone from Palm explain why it's taking so long other than to say "Well, we offer bug fixed and add features all the time" We want to know about this one!!! (BREATH)

+1. It's like saying..you bought a phone with bugs so that's what you deserve and palm has no responsibility to fix those bugs.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    I've never used voice command on any previous phone. If the Pre got it, I wouldn't use it. I don't know anyone who ever has used voice command.

I barely used video recording on past phones, and I've used it once since the Pre got it.

I don't like the vocal minority of Pre fans moaning and whining about a particular feature which really isn't relevant to the majority of users. With the time Palm has spent on video recording, and may or may not spend on voice command, they could do so much more to attract and retain new customers.
    Although I hope Palm does listen to customers and fans, I also hope they have enough vision to not listen too much to the minority moaning for some particular feature which is hugely unnecessary for most people.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post

I bought my Pre knowing that it was released early and that Palm would be adding many features. If people bought the phone based on what it included at release time, then nobody would have bought it.
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    Playboy, when I bought the phone last June, there were fewer options at Sprint. More importantly, many thought Palm was rushing the phone out to meet their own Q209 deadline for launch and features like voice-activated dialing would be added in a future update. I don't think anyone who wanted voice-activated dialing thought nine months later, there wouldn't be voice-activated dialing.

I never once said Palm misled us. But, that's not the point. Palm needs to hit the ball out of the ballpark and at nearly every chance, they've failed. Voice-activated dialing, nope. Video recording, nope. Read bar codes, nope. Feature match Android and iPhone, nope. Make phones faster with software updates, nope.

I'm not asking Palm to record HD (as this summer's iPhone might just do), but I am asking why a universal feature is missing. That is a legitimate question.

Honestly, I don't know why some of you of are so passionate in defending Palm. It is a corporation. It doesn't send you birthday cards, comfort you when you are sick or even care if you live or die. Nor should it. Palm's whole reason for existence is to make money - and its not even doing that. If Palm wants to keep its doors open, it should start by updating the OS to truly be best in class, rather than expecting us to wait on its schedule.
    Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    It really doesn't matter whether someone has ever used VAD or thinks that it's useful. The "Well I don't use it so it must not be important" viewpoint is both narrowminded and shortsighted. There are people that use it. There are plenty of dumbphones these days that have it. For your flagship smartphone not to have such a basic feature just isn't a good look for Palm.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by StevenX View Post
    I've never used voice command on any previous phone. If the Pre got it, I wouldn't use it. I don't know anyone who ever has used voice command.
    Well, now you can say you do I don't personally use it, but my wife uses it exclusively. She puts her plantronics Blue Tooth in when she get in the car, and any call she makes she just taps the button by her ear and says the name she wants to dial. Eyes never leave the road. That's really the way it should be. Those that think they can drive while looking at a phone and be just as safe are deluding themselves. And Palm should choose not to be a party to this. Just Add It!

BTW, my Pre Plus does have video recording with the webOS 1.4.0. Is the Pre "original" not able to take advantage of this?
    Quote Originally Posted by sweat View Post
    Playboy, when I bought the phone last June, there were fewer options at Sprint. More importantly, many thought Palm was rushing the phone out to meet their own Q209 deadline for launch and features like voice-activated dialing would be added in a future update. I don't think anyone who wanted voice-activated dialing thought nine months later, there wouldn't be voice-activated dialing.

I never once said Palm misled us. But, that's not the point. Palm needs to hit the ball out of the ballpark and at nearly every chance, they've failed. Voice-activated dialing, nope. Video recording, nope. Read bar codes, nope. Feature match Android and iPhone, nope. Make phones faster with software updates, nope.

I'm not asking Palm to record HD (as this summer's iPhone might just do), but I am asking why a universal feature is missing. That is a legitimate question.

Honestly, I don't know why some of you of are so passionate in defending Palm. It is a corporation. It doesn't send you birthday cards, comfort you when you are sick or even care if you live or die. Nor should it. Palm's whole reason for existence is to make money - and its not even doing that. If Palm wants to keep its doors open, it should start by updating the OS to truly be best in class, rather than expecting us to wait on its schedule.

co-sign
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    It's not my job. I dont get paid to program software. And I wouldn't be able to If I could because they haven't released the API for it.
    It's not their job either, since they never promised it. Unless, of course, they decide to make it their job. In which case, they might be able to use that depth of knowledge and experience you have so you can show them how "easy" it is.

I hope you're beginning to see the point...
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast