Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    I've never had a phone which had voice dialing which was at all useful for dialing by voice. The phone would consistently dial something other than what you said.

Has anyone had a phone where voice dialing actually worked?

Voice dialing would be a plus when I am driving, but it would have to actually work.
    voice command worked 95% of the time for me.
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aairman23 View Post
    voice command worked 95% of the time for me.
    Same with me and I also have an accent (australian) could it be people using sub par BT headsets?
    I had a LG phone a while back that had excellent VAD. I would love to see VAD on the Pre. However, when I bought the Pre, it didn't have VAD, and Palm has never said that they would have it (to my knowledge), unlike what they said about video recording.

Also, Palm has never had VAD on their phones except through 3rd party software. So I don't see them doing it in webOS.

But I do expect them to put all the pieces in place for developers to use the microphone, including for VAD. Hopefully that comes pretty soon.

But it wouldn't kill me to see Palm put out a couple of releases that add no new features, just to increase stability and fix little bugs.
    I try to avoid these types of threads since I really can't provide any information as to if/when a feature or bug is going to be implemented / fixed. I can't state why it wasn't done in the beginning or what importance it has to get implemented.

But there is one thing I can say and that is to just give us some time. Now I know that you are thinking well you have had nearly a year to put things in place and have all this stuff by now, but the fact of the matter is we have had a year, but sorry.

Maybe if there wasn't as many bug fixes that needed to be done it would be done by now, maybe if things have gone a little more right instead of left it would be done, but unfortunately not.

Every company when they get ready to launch something new and different the first thing they do is put out a roadmap that states where you want to go and how long it should take for you to get there, now I can't share that with you. I can't even tell you if we are on pace or off, but the point of telling you this is that there are things that we expect to fall in place and as the pieces start fitting together we can complete it.

It's like a puzzle, we already have the outer edge done (that's the easy part) now we are working on the big middle piece, and sometimes when you run into the big cloud section where everything is blue, it takes you some time to get it done.

Be patience with us and I believe you will be satisfied with the end result.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    ROFL!!
    I don't want any part of it. I even hate talking to those "voice recognition" computers when you call any sort of customer service line these days.
    I completely agree with you.
    I used to have an Audiovox phone that had VAD. It was perfect for driving and I've missed it since leaving that phone behind. I would love to have this on webOS.

I say just open up the microphone API and let some developer handle it.
    Quote Originally Posted by iRobot View Post
    I have no need for it at all. I hardly even use my Pre to talk on anyway. Most of the people I know who talk on their phones besides quick 2 minute talks are women. fffff
    Good thing the Pre is made for women, huh?
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    Be patience with us and I believe you will be satisfied with the end result.
    Why? What is Palm doing to deserve my patience?
    Quote Originally Posted by sweat View Post
    On Palm's support forums, a tech support person with Palm said webOS is capable of handling voice-activated dialing. Yet, the Pre lacks it?

Evidently Palm is choosing not to add the feature to the Pre even though voice-activated dialing can be found on nearly every mobile phone sold in the U.S.

Another bonehead product management decision by Palm.
    Or, maybe they're focusing on more important things.

I think it's interesting that, rather than start a tread to honestly discusse the issue (which had been done before for this issue), folks that seem to have some bone to pick will make up some something up, like Palm is "choosing" to not add this, as if they have some inside information or something.

Another boneheaded thread by a disgruntled would-be expert.
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    Trouble is, not having a feature, even a consistently c----y feature, can make you look bad. Take BlueTooth for instance. BlueTooth has NEVER been good. It's better than it was, and you can enjoy the possibilities, but still not good enough or consistent enough by far. BUT, everything has BT, even your toaster, your phone better have it.
    I don't know what BlueTooth device you are using, but I have a Motorola H17 earpiece and it rocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    Has anyone ever put one and one together, and come to the conclusion that there is no voice dial because even PALM doesn't have access to the microphone (outside of the phone program) through any SDK routine?

I still to this day believe that Palm bought the Pre hardware from some other company, to jump-start their own next generation phone project. I even think that the Pre name was an inside joke at one point, because the phone came to them pre-built and all they needed to do was add a user interface to the Linux foundation.....
    Wow, such insight. Such a well-founded well-researched opinion backed up by so many convincing pieces of evidence. I am totally blown away.

It's still April 1, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudementry View Post
    I don't honestly know a single person who uses voice dialing on a regular basis. (except synced to car) Voice dialing is cool for showing off to friends. Other than that, it's nothing special. It takes literally 5 seconds to type in 3-4 letters, and click the on the contact you want.
    To be honest, I did use it. On my motorcycle, I had my Treo wired in when I was riding, and used third party piece of software to voice dial. It meant I could hit one easy to reach button, and say the name of the person I needed, and I was set.

That said, Palm didn't provide the program, a third party service did. In addition, I went through 3 or 4 before I found one that worked reliably. Finally, it took years before one came out that worked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitalis View Post
    I think Palm has had more then enough adequate time to implement the API for the microphone. I was so certain with the release of 1.4.0 they were going to include the API in their SDK because of the video recording. Given the fact that they still haven't included it and haven't provided any reason why in inexcusable.
    And this "belief" of yours is based on .... what? A simple desire for it to be so? Do you have some inside information about how much time they have? Do you really believe that people at Palm think this is a priority, but instead say "No no, let's do something less important instead"? Seriously?

There is to be some reason for this "belief" of yours, maybe scripture or a sign for Steve Jobs or something?
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    On some real ish, WILL YOU ALL STOP SAYING "I DONT FIND THIS IMPORATANT AND WONT USE IT".. You really sound like palm *******. Please stop with the BS and lying to yourself saying you dont use it or wont use it. You give them a slap on the wrist for features lacking that should be included at launch. Its been 9 months since release of the pre and the feature not here yet. Someone made a post like this the other day and I've come to the conclusion that the feature will never come. It will be a blessing from the almighty that this feature comes. I really don't see how you all can just be so cool about not having a safety feature.

Everyone can you please go to Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA and request this. I cant do it by myself. They probably think I'm spamming them. So the more people go here the "faster" we will see any type of response.

And to all the palm ******* please get you head out of your *** and join us in the real world. Thanks.

And i apologize for the language. But not for offending anybody.
    It's not a "safety" feature. Were it so, and that important, you would have chosen a "safe" phone.

Your "apology" is pretty empty, seeing as you left the profanity there. You could have simply not used it, then not apologized. Using profanity then apologizing for it in the same post rings pretty hollow.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Or, maybe they're focusing on more important things.

I think it's interesting that, rather than start a tread to honestly discusse the issue (which had been done before for this issue), folks that seem to have some bone to pick will make up some something up, like Palm is "choosing" to not add this, as if they have some inside information or something.

Another boneheaded thread by a disgruntled would-be expert.
    Focusing on more important things???? What do you mean? This is very important, Its a safety feature. And really, how time consuming could it be to just ad it? I mean they can just release the microphone API, and someone could make make an app or patch it in. I wonder do palm use there phones at all.
    Nearly every other mobile phone, both smart & dumb, has this feature. If it wasn't popular, it wouldn't be universal.
    Absolutely, unequivocally, false. Would you like numbers? There are a lot of mobile phones out there that have virtually no features. You guys that want this so bad need to quit relying on "I wish it were so" support...

As for patience, why should I have any? I don't owe Palm anything. They're asking me to use their phone, buy their accessories and download apps from their store. If they want a good customer, build a better phone and OS. Now, not later.
    No they're not. As a matter of fact, you paid them for the priviledge of using their phone. And when you gave them your money, they made no promise to you about it having voice activated dialing. Why do you feel they owe it to you?

Personally, I hope to see it, but I don't think stomping my feet and threatning to hold my breath till I turn blue is going to bring it about.

Lots of children seem to be logging on to this forum lately...
    Why? What is Palm doing to deserve my patience?
    It's not a matter of what anyone "deserves". If you don't like the phone, move on. Actually, if you love the phone but found something better, move on. You owe nothing to Palm, but by the same token, they don't owe you this.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    It's not a "safety" feature. Were it so, and that important, you would have chosen a "safe" phone.

Your "apology" is pretty empty, seeing as you left the profanity there. You could have simply not used it, then not apologized. Using profanity then apologizing for it in the same post rings pretty hollow.
    Yes it is a safety feature. Imagine your in a car driving, you want to call someone. Instead of looking at your phone and selecting the contact and risking your life and others by taking your eyes off the road. You just press the button on you bluetooth, say a command and you can call someone with talkin your eyes off the road. And you really cant see that as a safety feature.

I got the phone because I thought webos would be a great experience, and I'm sorry you didn't find my apology pleasing. But that's not my job.
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    On some real ish, WILL YOU ALL STOP SAYING "I DONT FIND THIS IMPORATANT AND WONT USE IT".. You really sound like palm *******. Please stop with the BS and lying to yourself saying you dont use it or wont use it. You give them a slap on the wrist for features lacking that should be included at launch. Its been 9 months since release of the pre and the feature not here yet. Someone made a post like this the other day and I've come to the conclusion that the feature will never come. It will be a blessing from the almighty that this feature comes. I really don't see how you all can just be so cool about not having a safety feature.

Everyone can you please go to Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA and request this. I cant do it by myself. They probably think I'm spamming them. So the more people go here the "faster" we will see any type of response.

And to all the palm ******* please get you head out of your *** and join us in the real world. Thanks.

And i apologize for the language. But not for offending anybody.
    So people that dont agree with you arent entitled to there opinion, and if I dont like and dont use voice dialing im lying to myself.
    OK

Someone change koolkid's diapers and give him his bottle and hopefully he'll go to sleep
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast