Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3891011121314 LastLast
    I hope they add it soon but I knew of the problems/missing features before buying the phone. In for a penny, in for a pound.
    Devs: I will pay for an app that offers this.
    It was nice to be able to just hit the button on my bluetooth earpiece and say the person's name to call them. I've been waiting for many features that should have been "standard", but weren't, but I understand Palm had to get a phone out or basically go out of business. They've finally opened up the mic via the SDK, so I'm hoping it will be soon!
    Yes, but the Droid doesn't have BT Voice Dialing, either. None of the Droid platform phones do apparently (exception for Motorola Blur, apparently, those folks thought about their other product offerings, and added an app to assist in this little issue for the Droid).
    I had an old blackberry 7100 that I could dictate emails on...

I miss voice dialing, my eyesight isn't great and to not have to squint while I am driving is a real plus... I use my work cell (another blackberry) to voice dial while I am driving, but only work folks not personal.
    Quote Originally Posted by davegpete View Post
    I had an old blackberry 7100 that I could dictate emails on...

I miss voice dialing, my eyesight isn't great and to not have to squint while I am driving is a real plus... I use my work cell (another blackberry) to voice dial while I am driving, but only work folks not personal.
    Hell, my old Moto Q, Windows Mobile 5 had voice dialing, and it worked quite well. So it can't terribly hard to implement. Personally, I would rarely use it, but sometimes it is very nice to have.
    Quote Originally Posted by sputnik767 View Post
    Hell, my old Moto Q, Windows Mobile 5 had voice dialing, and it worked quite well. So it can't terribly hard to implement. Personally, I would rarely use it, but sometimes it is very nice to have.
    Which of those devices multi-tasked? Maybe that's a clue as to why it's a little more difficult on the Pre. Think about it.
    voice dialing should be possible once the API for the microphone is available. I think they told attendees at the dev conference to expect that in the late summer of fall. If you search around these threads you will find all sorts of info on what they told the developers, so you don't have to rely on my faulty memory...
    Quote Originally Posted by wylfyr59 View Post
    Yes, but the Droid doesn't have BT Voice Dialing, either. None of the Droid platform phones do apparently (exception for Motorola Blur, apparently, those folks thought about their other product offerings, and added an app to assist in this little issue for the Droid).
    It does now. Even though I only had this phone for a week, it's hard to believe it didn't always have it, because there's a button for it, and the phone came out in November 2009. In fact, after pairing with my Sony Xplod in my car, I accidently hit the wrong button and heard "please say a command" so I said dial _________ at work and it worked perfectly.

I miss my Pixi though ...
    John 3:16
    WebOS will have voice dialing, they're working on it. Better they get it right than release something buggy.

And the iPhone didn't have voice dailing until O.S 3.0.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Which of those devices multi-tasked? Maybe that's a clue as to why it's a little more difficult on the Pre. Think about it.
    I fail to see how you can draw a connection between multitasking and an application that allows for voice dialing. Think about it. If the pre can run a background app for phone, messenging, etc, there is no reason that it can't run an app for voice dialing. But that app of course does not exist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vociferous View Post
    WebOS will have voice dialing, they're working on it. Better they get it right than release something buggy.

And the iPhone didn't have voice dailing until O.S 3.0.
    I completely agree with you here. It's just that voice dialing is such a basic feature at this point, that is found on much lesser phones, released years ago. Regardless of what some people may claim, such as that multitasking somehow making it harder to implement voice dialing, the only reason we don't have it is because Palm did not see it as an important enough feature to focus their energy on. Perhaps that makes sense, and they could be forgiven if they focused on producing an OS that is not full of bugs, but that's not the case either.
    I completely agree with you here. It's just that voice dialing is such a basic feature at this point, that is found on much lesser phones, released years ago. Regardless of what some people may claim, such as that multitasking somehow making it harder to implement voice dialing, the only reason we don't have it is because Palm did not see it as an important enough feature to focus their energy on. Perhaps that makes sense, and they could be forgiven if they focused on producing an OS that is not full of bugs, but that's not the case either.
    And you base this dismissal of "what some people claim" on what? Personal experience? Would you care to explain exactly how Palm should implement the voice API so that it does not interfere with other running programs? This is "easy" according to many, so it should be simple for you guys to solve.

Armchair quarterbacking is always simple. The real game is a bit harder.
    That said, part of your basic premise is correct. We don't have the API yet because Palm had other priorities. One of them was releasing a phone in time to keep them from going out of business. Personally, I'm glad they did that.

Palm has said they are working on the API, I see no reason to doubt this. When it comes, those programs will become available. Please, let's not turn the thread into a "bash Palm" threa.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    And you base this dismissal of "what some people claim" on what? Personal experience? Would you care to explain exactly how Palm should implement the voice API so that it does not interfere with other running programs? This is "easy" according to many, so it should be simple for you guys to solve.

Armchair quarterbacking is always simple. The real game is a bit harder.
    That said, part of your basic premise is correct. We don't have the API yet because Palm had other priorities. One of them was releasing a phone in time to keep them from going out of business. Personally, I'm glad they did that.

Palm has said they are working on the API, I see no reason to doubt this. When it comes, those programs will become available. Please, let's not turn the thread into a "bash Palm" threa.
    I never bashed Palm here. In my first post in this thread I said that while not having voice dialing is not at all an issue for me, there are occasions where it would be nice to have. And I certainly don't think that it's necessarily easy to implement, but the technology is far from new, so I don't think that it would be exceedingly difficult to do. As I said, I wish the capability was there, but it's not a dealbreaker for me. I would rather they focus on completing the product by enabling video hardware acceleration of the UI, and fixing the bugs they introduced in version 1.4.x. Once they do that, I will consider the phone complete, and everything else is just a nice addon.
    I never bashed Palm here. In my first post in this thread I said that while not having voice dialing is not at all an issue for me, there are occasions where it would be nice to have. And I certainly don't think that it's necessarily easy to implement,
    Maybe I misinterpreted these then, but they seemed pretty clear:
    Hell, my old Moto Q, Windows Mobile 5 had voice dialing, and it worked quite well. So it can't terribly hard to implement.
    and
    Perhaps that makes sense, and they could be forgiven if they focused on producing an OS that is not full of bugs, but that's not the case either.
    The former seemed to be saying that you think it's easy to implement, and the second just seemed like a standard run of the mill "Palm did it all wrong" and "can't be forgiven" rant.

I would rather they focus on completing the product by enabling video hardware acceleration of the UI, and fixing the bugs they introduced in version 1.4.x. Once they do that, I will consider the phone complete, and everything else is just a nice addon.
    Personally, I'm not very interested in acceleration of the UI, I find it servicable as is. I haven't run into many noticable bugs either, but both of those are really topics for another thread.

They've said that the API is coming, and I believe we'll probably be seeing it pretty soon. While this has never been a "must have" feature for me, it's one I paid some decent $$$ extra for on my Treo (so I can voicedial when on my GoldWing), but I agree with you, it's no dealbreaker.
    Alright, let's try to keep it friendly in here.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    if there is no voice dialing. I'm an ***** because I didn't make the connection that no voice activated dialing means none of my bluetooth gadgets will work unless I dial the number on the phone first. Back to the drawing board! I'll be bummed if I have to go back to my LG Dare........
    why did we have to resurrect this poorly titled thread? voice service APIs will be available soon. Let's put this one back to sleep.
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    It is a poor title.

<<Title changed>>
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by rhafe View Post
    if there is no voice dialing. I'm an ***** because I didn't make the connection that no voice activated dialing means none of my bluetooth gadgets will work unless I dial the number on the phone first. Back to the drawing board! I'll be bummed if I have to go back to my LG Dare........
    In your Help app, search for "speed dial." Welcome to your incredibly useful keyboard.
    Hi all,

WebOS 2.0 is now in sight and will be released THIS YEAR! That is what Ruby said just a few days ago...why be down about the Pre not having voice dialing...it is a very likely candidate for webOS 2.0!

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group