Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    Yeah my friend has voice dialing in his car and it screws up 3/4 quarter of the time... nice feature.. Lol. Gotta love calling someone else all the time you didn't intend to. To me voice dialing is pretty much useless.. especially since my car is fairly loud with my magna flow muffler anyways. I bought voice dialing for my Palm Treo for 10 bucks.. what a waste of money.
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianPre View Post
    Not picking on you Weaser999, but your post is a perfect example of a person's expectations colliding reality yet providing no real information other than Voice dialing sucks.... (your not the first in this thread...)

"To me voice dialing is pretty much useless.. especially since my car is fairly loud with my magna flow muffler anyways."
    - might want to clarify.....Isn't it actually YOU that thinks you will get no value from it, and not that 'voice dialing' itself is useless?
    To be fair, that's what he said (see the note above).

That doesn't invalidate the rest of your points though.

I think it's kind of ironic that the voice recognition sort of mirrors the Pre in a way. Perception may not be accurate, but it is still everything. If someone perceives that Palm "is choosing Not to Add...", it doesn't matter how much one logically shows that's not the case, that's the perception.

Same thing with voice recognition. There are good systems out there. But that's not the perception.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toniolli View Post
    Except that Android phones don't have voice activated dialing either....The Hero, the moment, not even the Droid...
    Incorrect. My friends Droid has it.
    Ooops, missed this before I agreed with much of what you said:
    You "bought voice dialing for a Palm Treo for $10"
    - Palm Treo is nothing more than a dumb phone with a simplistic interface (it is not a smart phone, nor does it have the hardware in it to even compete with a smart phone.
    - $10 for voice dialing....so the manufacturer added that 'feature' which cost them 30 cents and charged you $10 for it... lol
    Nope, not the case, in either part.

Treo's were definitely a smartphone. Maybe not as smart as those out today, but they were Smartphones. Since Palm hold the patent on "smartphone", and the Treos were their first really big push into this (without delving into all of the Handspring precursor stuff), one could make the argument that they originally defined what smartphones were.

I don't think the manufacturer (Palm) added anything to the Treo that gave it voice dialing capabilities. These were add-on third party pieces of software from other vendors (you know, add on apps, for a smartphone - sorry, couldn't resist). They varied in capabilities and reliability.
    Hmmm.....forgot that a couple of years ago that the word 'smartphone' was more gimmick than actual reality. My bad. lol
    Thinking back, I only remember 2 phones in the Palm line that come to mind as 'potential' first generation 'smartphones'. The Palm Treo Pro and the 800w as both used Windows Mobile and had more basic capabilities with the OS. The older phones were more like a DOS OS with a collection of specific apps. Kind of like specialized PDA's that could phone 'out' rather than actual intelligent devices like I would expect to find in a 'smartphone' now. <shrug...more of a personal perception thing I think>

Besides the word 'smartphone' will shift until the market settles on what features it feels are 'required'.
    My take on things is that if the phone can:
    - play music (mp3/4/etc),
    - play music videos/movies,
    - has a real web browser that rivals a desktop,
    - can access all types of outlook & internet mail accounts,
    - can access all chat & IM programs,
    - has Assisted GPS,
    - a touch screen,
    - has advanced message managing (text, facebook, whatever)
    - has advanced contact synergy/combining
    - can view documents from email or BT loading, or docking
    - can edit said documents on the phone and resend out
    - can play advanced games (ala iPhone, Pre, etc)
    - the majority of the above should NOT be handled by apps, but built directly into the OS, although apps can expand/improve functionality. (Games don't apply)
    - has the ability to be updated from a firmware and OS standpoint whenever necessary(preferably OTA)
    - has the ability to increase capabilities of the phone via the OS without resorting to a new phone every OS upgrade.... (i.e. Palm Pre and Voice dialing or 3d gaming or flash support, etc)
    - AND do all of the above in a RICH UI interface...DOS/text or low resolution screens need not apply.

THEN and only THEN do you have a 'Smartphone'. The new buzz phrase of 'SuperPhone' will only apply when the basics are covered and it excels to the point it actually becomes a mini computer (at which point we will take a ton of stuff for granted to be in the phone).

ON a side note:
    Alberta, Canada (province I live in) has finally outlined legislation directed for vote this fall that will BAN all handheld devices, food, makeup, etc from being used in the vehicle. Voice dialing or one touch interfaces are allowable, but anything you pick-up is looking at the ban stick. Specifically mentioned was make-up, eating, holding phones, interacting with 'loose' mp3 players and gps devices. Alberta is one of the last provinces to get this law in place.

So....can I request voice dialing for the next Palm Pre Patch (v1.5)...then Palm can spend the next 3 or 4 patches simply beefing up all the areas, performance, quality, responsiveness, voice recognition..so that by the time Jan 2011 hits, the Pre will be an awesome little phone (more than it is now) and I won't be fretting any new legislation.
    Last edited by CanadianPre; 04/15/2010 at 01:32 PM. Reason: minor addition
    Hmmm.....forgot that a couple of years ago that the word 'smartphone' was more gimmick than actual reality. ...
    I'm beginning to suspect you only gave the Treo line (including the Centro) a curosory glance. From your list, I'll bold the ones that are a Yes:

• - play music (mp3/4/etc) mp4's hadn't really caught on yet, but yes, the Treo could play MP3'
    • - play music videos/movies Yes, on both parts. Even had a video recorder. I converted DVD's and played them on my Treo
    • - has a real web browser that rivals a desktop I started to "not bold" this one, because the built in broswer sucked. Then I remembered, for those to whom ti was really important, they could put on Opera. It was great.
    • - can access all types of outlook & internet mail accounts, "All is pretty inclusive, but I can't think of any types of internet email accounts that it couldn't
    • - can access all chat & IM programs Yes, all of those that were popular at the time (Yahoo, AOL, MSM, SMS).
    • - has Assisted GPS Not built in, but available as an add on.
    • - a touch screen, yep
    • - has advanced message managing (text, facebook, whatever) Yep, though Facebook really hadn't come into play, it did the texting that was available at the time
    • - has advanced contact synergy/combining - Nope. But then, that's reall a Palm Pre only thing, isn't it (so far)?
    • - can view documents from email or BT loading, or docking - No BT loading, but it viewed docs fine
    • - can edit said documents on the phone and resend out Yep
    • - can play advanced games (ala iPhone, Pre, etc) kinda stacked on that one, since there was no iPhone or Pre to play games like, but I'll give it to you, the games weren't great
    • - the majority of the above should NOT be handled by apps, but built directly into the OS, although apps can expand/improve functionality. (Games don't apply) - nope, I'm going to disagree on this one. "Built in" capabilities have little to do with a phone being a "smartphone". As a matter of fact, I submit that the more you build in to the OS, the fewer options you have. Who wants to invest in writing a browser when there's one for free on the system.
    • - has the ability to be updated from a firmware and OS standpoint whenever necessary(preferably OTA) Yes to update, no to OTA. The OS was firmware, but it was flashed. Though nowhere nearly as frequent as the OTA updates we get now, I reflashed my Treo a number of times with new updates.
    • - has the ability to increase capabilities of the phone via the OS without resorting to a new phone every OS upgrade.... (i.e. Palm Pre and Voice dialing or 3d gaming or flash support, etc) Yup, though again, the updates were not nearly as dramatic as what we've seen on the Pre. It's worth noting though, that the reason we are seeing "hardware" type udpates through the OS is only because those hardware features were there, just not yet accessible to the OS.

I'd say a pretty complete smartphone list. Hardly worthy of being called a gimmick.
    Hmmm.....forgot that a couple of years ago that the word 'smartphone' was more gimmick than actual reality. My bad. lol
    Thinking back, I only remember 2 phones in the Palm line that come to mind as 'potential' first generation 'smartphones'. The Palm Treo Pro and the 800w as both used Windows Mobile and had more basic capabilities with the OS. The older phones were more like a DOS OS with a collection of specific apps. Kind of like specialized PDA's that could phone 'out' rather than actual intelligent devices like I would expect to find in a 'smartphone' now. <shrug...more of a personal perception thing I think>

Besides the word 'smartphone' will shift until the market settles on what features it feels are 'required'.
    My take on things is that if the phone can:
    - play music (mp3/4/etc),
    - play music videos/movies,
    - has a real web browser that rivals a desktop,
    - can access all types of outlook & internet mail accounts,
    - can access all chat & IM programs,
    - has Assisted GPS,
    - a touch screen,
    - has advanced message managing (text, facebook, whatever)
    - has advanced contact synergy/combining
    - can view documents from email or BT loading, or docking
    - can edit said documents on the phone and resend out
    - can play advanced games (ala iPhone, Pre, etc)
    - the majority of the above should NOT be handled by apps, but built directly into the OS, although apps can expand/improve functionality. (Games don't apply)
    - has the ability to be updated from a firmware and OS standpoint whenever necessary(preferably OTA)
    - has the ability to increase capabilities of the phone via the OS without resorting to a new phone every OS upgrade.... (i.e. Palm Pre and Voice dialing or 3d gaming or flash support, etc)
    - AND do all of the above in a RICH UI interface...DOS/text or low resolution screens need not apply.

THEN and only THEN do you have a 'Smartphone'. The new buzz phrase of 'SuperPhone' will only apply when the basics are covered and it excels to the point it actually becomes a mini computer (at which point we will take a ton of stuff for granted to be in the phone).

ON a side note:
    Alberta, Canada (province I live in) has finally outlined legislation directed for vote this fall that will BAN all handheld devices, food, makeup, etc from being used in the vehicle. Voice dialing or one touch interfaces are allowable, but anything you pick-up is looking at the ban stick. Specifically mentioned was make-up, eating, holding phones, interacting with 'loose' mp3 players and gps devices. Alberta is one of the last provinces to get this law in place.

So....can I request voice dialing for the next Palm Pre Patch (v1.5)...then Palm can spend the next 3 or 4 patches simply beefing up all the areas, performance, quality, responsiveness, voice recognition..so that by the time Jan 2011 hits, the Pre will be an awesome little phone (more than it is now) and I won't be fretting any new legislation.
    Hey a fellow Albertan! I didn't know about this ban, but i'd consider it pretty much a moot point since they will in all likelihood not be able to enforce it very well. I'm all for voice dialing if it works. With my treo i never used a BT headset with it. My friend connected his treo via bluetooth to his car. Soon enough a 3rd party app will make use of it.. so I pay a few bucks.. no biggy. I'd rather tether for free and spend a few bucks on an app than pay lots on tethering and get voice dialing for free.
    my treo 680 didn't have voice dialing built in. I had to purchase a separate app for that. how they don't do the same here
    Palm Pro->m505->Zodiac 2->Treo 680->Treo Pro->Pre+
    Has this been suggested that instead of getting voice dialing software would using an After market carkit would work on the pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I'm beginning to suspect you only gave the Treo line (including the Centro) a curosory glance. ...
    I'd say a pretty complete smartphone list. Hardly worthy of being called a gimmick.
    THANK YOU!

You are truly one of the VERY FEW people I've seen give credit where its due.

My Treo could do EVERYTHING the iPhone can do (if not more) WAY before the iPhone was even conceived.

People tend to forget that.

Just because it wasn't all pretty (by today's standards) and didn't have multitouch (OMG NO MULTITOUCH?!?!?) its suddenly a "feature phone with a gimmick".

*sigh*
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    My Treo could do EVERYTHING the iPhone can do (if not more) WAY before the iPhone was even conceived.
    I had my Treo when the iPhone was first introduced. There were two things that it did (at that time) that really made me go "OK, that's pretty cool".

"Normal" web browser with pinch to zoom
    Orientation sensing

I now have a Palm device that does both.
    New Pre user here and I was totally shocked that it did not have voice dialing (just got it 2 days ago....2 of them for $30). Anyone who doesn't use it probably had a phone that sucked at it.

My friggin' LG Voyager had it and so did my Moto Q.

It is mighty convenient that it recognizes are your contacts. All you do is hit your bluetooth, "Please say a command", I say Call Robert Coppin, and it says "Calling Robert Coppin".

I can say "Call Voice Mail" and bam.

This is EXTREMELY important while driving. I never had a need to ever look down to my phone. Now with the Pre I have to look at the phone to dial or select a contact. It's like yeah the OS is decent but the lack of voice dialing could LITERALLY be a fatal flaw for those that drive.

PALM FIX IT OR THE PHONES ARE GOING BACK.

I at least need to hear something is the works before my "trial" time limit is up.

Hell my Voyager could read me my text messages. A smartphone needs to be first and foremost a great.....phone. Now that I think of it, I only paid an average $15 for each Pre Plus so I could wait it out with the Voyager.

Come on, Palm. This feature is like having redial ffs.
    This is where Microsoft's Windows Mobile is lightyears ahead of anyone else and makes other OS's feel like they are way behind. Voice Command has been available for Win Mobile for a long time and it works so well. I really miss asking my phone what time it is, what my appointments are today, as well as just dialing who i want!
    Quote Originally Posted by samecolor View Post
    This is where Microsoft's Windows Mobile is lightyears ahead of anyone else and makes other OS's feel like they are way behind. Voice Command has been available for Win Mobile for a long time and it works so well. I really miss asking my phone what time it is, what my appointments are today, as well as just dialing who i want!
    WinMo is only ahead of WinCE and DOS. PalmOS had voice features, too. Once the microphone api is available for WebOS, this will all be taken care of. Just like they did when they added video recording to in 1.4
    Quote Originally Posted by Busymann View Post
    New Pre user here and I was totally shocked that it did not have voice dialing (just got it 2 days ago....2 of them for $30). Anyone who doesn't use it probably had a phone that sucked at it.

My friggin' LG Voyager had it and so did my Moto Q.

It is mighty convenient that it recognizes are your contacts. All you do is hit your bluetooth, "Please say a command", I say Call Robert Coppin, and it says "Calling Robert Coppin".

I can say "Call Voice Mail" and bam.

This is EXTREMELY important while driving. I never had a need to ever look down to my phone. Now with the Pre I have to look at the phone to dial or select a contact. It's like yeah the OS is decent but the lack of voice dialing could LITERALLY be a fatal flaw for those that drive.

PALM FIX IT OR THE PHONES ARE GOING BACK.

I at least need to hear something is the works before my "trial" time limit is up.

Hell my Voyager could read me my text messages. A smartphone needs to be first and foremost a great.....phone. Now that I think of it, I only paid an average $15 for each Pre Plus so I could wait it out with the Voyager.

Come on, Palm. This feature is like having redial ffs.
    Coming soon once the microphone API is available. Not sure it will make it in 30 days. But, you could also get the newest Jawbone, which I believe gives you some voice capabilities. You can probably also do it if you pair with a Garmin GPS that supports bluetooth and voice dialing. Mine does Bluetooth but not voice, but it's easy for me to dial from my GPS without taking my eyes off the road. I realize those are bad ideas unless you already have those toys... no one wants to buy a $250 GPS to work around a limitation of a $29 phone, I'm just sayin.

Voice dialing is certainly coming soon... I hope that you will find the Pre so enjoyable that you don't mind waiting a bit. Instead of calling people, just listen to Pandora on your Pre!!!

I know some people really want voice dialing, so I can understand that you would have assumed it to already be there. The beauty of WebOS is that it can be added to the OS and/or added by the homebrew community. A voice recording app was released this week, and that is a wonderful first step.
    can't wait for voice dialing!

I have a bluetooth carkit that supports voice dialling, but most of these still rely on the phone supporting it, as it does nothing with my pre.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    It really is unacceptable for any phone to not ship with voice dialing today, with so many places going toward laws that pretty much make it illegal to even touch a cell phone while driving.

Personally, this was never a feature I checked for when planning to buy the Pre because I thought it was just a standard feature now. I hadn't had a phone in five years that didn't have voice dialing, and it worked almost perfectly on my two previous LG phones. Combine that with Palm's ridiculously unintuitive contacts app and it's virtually impossible to safely dial someone not on speed dial while you're driving. Yes, I'm sure there are apps that can fix that, but phone functionality should be the #1 priority.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toniolli View Post
    Except that Android phones don't have voice activated dialing either....The Hero, the moment, not even the Droid...
    The droid and the moment both have this feature actually...
    Quote Originally Posted by Busymann View Post
    My car handsfree kit does it for my Pre. The real danger is driving with the phone in your hand.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    My car handsfree kit does it for my Pre. The real danger is driving with the phone in your hand.
    No the real danger is not paying attention. The same lack of attention is shown by people who drive hands free or hold the phone. Most people drive automatics so both hands are not necessarily required anyway.

Telephones & Cars = Bad idea
    Dan
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Can't say I miss it at all and if Palm intends to implement it I hope its done via the App Store so im not forced to have a voice dial like the Centro. If you clicked the handsfree button by mistake that horrid program started automaticallly.