Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast
    I was just setting up my gf's new blue ant visor bluetooth system for her blackberry curve and she was so impressed with the voice dialing option. It reminded me of when I could actually make calls through my GPS system by simply saying the persons name. Clearly for safety reasons this should have been implemented at launch. Another Palm short coming.

Also just because not everyone takes advantage on what is now a standard feature doesn't excuse Palm for not including it.
    Quote Originally Posted by kjparfekt View Post
    I was just setting up my gf's new blue ant visor bluetooth system for her blackberry curve and she was so impressed with the voice dialing option. It reminded me of when I could actually make calls through my GPS system by simply saying the persons name. Clearly for safety reasons this should have been implemented at launch. Another Palm short coming.

Also just because not everyone takes advantage on what is now a standard feature doesn't excuse Palm for not including it.
    As well as HD2 who also decided not to include it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    As well as HD2 who also decided not to include it.
    No way, it can't be. It's a "standard" feature now, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    ROFL!!

That's exactly the way my wife sounds when she's using the voice dialing on her BB Curve.

I don't want any part of it. I even hate talking to those "voice recognition" computers when you call any sort of customer service line these days.
    *cough*
    Not all Voice Dialing is created equal......you would think people would know this by now...sigh.

the voice dialing on dumb phones is a feature tick mark and should not be compared to a true Smart Phone. That being said, the people that use dumb phones typically don't really understand that they have a piece of junk worth $25 in their hand (cause they paid $200..lol). Then they use the dumb phone voice dialing and figure its garbage....when really they got what they should have. A $25 dollar phone with a 30cent voice dial capability.

Smart phones cost $150 to $200 to build and the latest generations (Apple, Palm, Android) are capable of updating their OS to actually take advantage of the advanced hardware in the phone that is being underutilized. Adding Voice Dialing of exceptional quality is much easier than ever before. It's just a matter of doing it.

As for the customer service lines that use voice recognition.....well the same rules apply. You, the customer, get what the company decides to give you. If a big company decides to skimp on their voice recognition customer service line, then you get exactly what they paid for.

Heck, I'm up here in Canada and as of 2 years ago some of the utility service companies have such realistic, smooth, FAST and intelligent automated recognition lines that even being the uber tech geek that I am, I walk away in astonishment/amazement with my mouth hanging...wondering when the heck voice recognition advanced that much.

Yet the next company I phone is so far on the other end of the voice recognition experience as to make me think that I would have been better off talking to a deaf/blind/mute customer service person instead of the 'voice recognition' one.

In short, its not that voice recognition is poor. Its how much effort/expenditure the company decides to put behind it. When partnered with a BT headset, there is no reason the Palm Pre couldn't be a fully voice controlled device to a high degree of accuracy. Matter of fact, Full voice control/playback might take Palm in a better direction than the other competitors.

Think "open email.....read new email contacts.....read xxx contact email.... etc

Its disappointing how people put down a real feature based on experiences with garbage devices and lousy voice implementations.
    Last edited by CanadianPre; 04/08/2010 at 01:02 PM. Reason: minor edit
    Having read more pages from this thread it might be of interest to note....

- Palm has a strict policy of not commenting on an upcoming feature until it is at least ready for the developer community to use/implement and is on the next patch list. You don't have to take my word for it...seach the Palm support forums and you will see discussion regarding the process and ND agreements.

- Voice dialing would be a welcome feature on my phone and it would be used. especially as law enforcement is moving towards an all encompassing ban in Canada.

- Arguing over what Palm may or may not do is not worth the time. It can be suggested that Palm appears to be implementing features as they build/expand the new WebOS, but they can only move so fast.

- If you need voice dialing or another feature RIGHT NOW, it might be more beneficial for you to purchase a different phone that can give you those features your require asap. maybe you can relook at the Palm Pre in 6 months or a year. I'm sure people can keep on top of Palm developments by looking at the various Palm support/user sites, even if you don't have a Palm Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianPre View Post

- Palm has a strict policy of not commenting on an upcoming feature until it is at least ready for the developer community to use/implement and is on the next patch list. You don't have to take my word for it...seach the Palm support forums and you will see discussion regarding the process and ND agreements.

- Voice dialing would be a welcome feature on my phone and it would be used. especially as law enforcement is moving towards an all encompassing ban in Canada.

- Arguing over what Palm may or may not do is not worth the time. It can be suggested that Palm appears to be implementing features as they build/expand the new WebOS, but they can only move so fast.

- If you need voice dialing or another feature RIGHT NOW, it might be more beneficial for you to purchase a different phone that can give you those features your require asap. maybe you can relook at the Palm Pre in 6 months or a year. I'm sure people can keep on top of Palm developments by looking at the various Palm support/user sites, even if you don't have a Palm Pre.
    Oh, you diplomat types. Come in and ruin all the fun...
    Does anyone know of an app that will do voice-recog for dialing on the Pre?
    Quote Originally Posted by sliver00 View Post
    +1 - I keep looking and not finding. <sigh>
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Oh, you diplomat types. Come in and ruin all the fun...
    lol
    Now that made my day.
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    yeah, my wifes dumbphone has it.. Here is some typical dialogue. Wife:call police. Phone: calling home depot is this correct... In my opinion this is not needed on my pre... And ya can't get a ticket if ya dont get caught.. If the police told ya to jump off a roof would ya. Quit being sheep and think for yourselves, it's really fun
    Hmm and you can rob a bank if you don't get caught either. You can drive 120 mph in a 30mph zone if you don't get caught. That statement was dumb.

If people want to obey the law don't trash them. If working properly it is a good feature to have. Just because you may not use it doesn't mean it isn't a good thing to have.
    Quote Originally Posted by sliver00 View Post

Try the Google Voice
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Show View Post
    Try the Google Voice
    hope you are joking? its not an option
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianPre View Post

extremely well put. unfortunately i find the pre to be useless for what i need it for....but i have noone to blame but myself for assuming a 250 dollar (at the time of purchase) "smart phone" would have such basic features as voice dialing, so as of tomorrow i will be selling the pre and buying an android phone! good luck waiting for such basic features!
    Not having voice dialing is not a deal breaker for me, my last phone had it and I never used it because half the time in a noisy environment it would never get the right number. When I drive now, I use a BT headset and I have my touchstone charger mounted on my dash right next to my steering wheel. When I get in my car, I place my Pre on the TS charger and I open up the photo dialer app and all of my important numbers are just a glance/tap away.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Except that Android phones don't have voice activated dialing either....The Hero, the moment, not even the Droid...
    Quote Originally Posted by s13timeattack View Post
    extremely well put. unfortunately i find the pre to be useless for what i need it for....but i have noone to blame but myself for assuming a 250 dollar (at the time of purchase) "smart phone" would have such basic features as voice dialing, so as of tomorrow i will be selling the pre and buying an android phone! good luck waiting for such basic features!
    Quote Originally Posted by Toniolli View Post
    Except that Android phones don't have voice activated dialing either....The Hero, the moment, not even the Droid...
    Too funny!
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    I never could get voice dialing to work right on any of my devices. My radio has all my contacts transferred from the pre but just like all my other products its hopeless and can't understand a word I'm saying. Having said that my radio is touch screen so I just touch the contact I want to call and the Pre calls it. Bluetooth is sweet.
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Not having voice dialing is not a deal breaker for me, my last phone had it and I never used it because half the time in a noisy environment it would never get the right number. When I drive now, I use a BT headset and I have my touchstone charger mounted on my dash right next to my steering wheel. When I get in my car, I place my Pre on the TS charger and I open up the photo dialer app and all of my important numbers are just a glance/tap away.
    Yeah my friend has voice dialing in his car and it screws up 3/4 quarter of the time... nice feature.. Lol. Gotta love calling someone else all the time you didn't intend to. To me voice dialing is pretty much useless.. especially since my car is fairly loud with my magna flow muffler anyways. I bought voice dialing for my Palm Treo for 10 bucks.. what a waste of money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    Yeah my friend has voice dialing in his car and it screws up 3/4 quarter of the time... nice feature.. Lol. Gotta love calling someone else all the time you didn't intend to. To me voice dialing is pretty much useless.. especially since my car is fairly loud with my magna flow muffler anyways. I bought voice dialing for my Palm Treo for 10 bucks.. what a waste of money.
    Not picking on you Weaser999, but your post is a perfect example of a person's expectations colliding reality yet providing no real information other than Voice dialing sucks.... (your not the first in this thread...)

"Your friend has voice dialing in his car and it screws up 3/4 of the time..."
    - is your friend using a real smart phone (iPhone or better)?
    - is your friend speaking at the phone (mounted to the dash) or does he actually have a Bluetooth headset on his ear to transmit what he says clearly?
    - if your friend IS using a BT headset to transmit to the phone is it a decent quality headset or one of those "free with phone one/$20 sale ones?"

"To me voice dialing is pretty much useless.. especially since my car is fairly loud with my magna flow muffler anyways."
    - might want to clarify.....Isn't it actually YOU that thinks you will get no value from it, and not that 'voice dialing' itself is useless?
    - Your car muffler/noise should have no impact on the voice dialing AT ALL. It just means that you (and likely your friend) are NOT using BT headsets when trying to voice dial.
    (For reference...even my dumb phone paired with a simple Jawbone Assassin 2 was good enough to be driving with windows down, stereo blaring or standing in grinding/welding shop with no noise detected on the other side. Its all in the BT headset quality).

You "bought voice dialing for a Palm Treo for $10"
    - Palm Treo is nothing more than a dumb phone with a simplistic interface (it is not a smart phone, nor does it have the hardware in it to even compete with a smart phone.
    - $10 for voice dialing....so the manufacturer added that 'feature' which cost them 30 cents and charged you $10 for it... lol

My point is that you are talking about several different things without actually giving any information about them other than that you didn't like it.

Until Palm actually puts voice dialing in the Pre, they have no smart phone on the market that voice dials. When they finally add it, THEN we can revisit posts like this and determine if the voice dialing is working great or its a flop. Assuming of course that people are smart enough to use a good quality headset before they start screaming at the phone.
    This has long been a huge gripe for me and one of the things that most disapppoints me about the Pre. Sprint use to have a generic voice command that I miss so much - you simply dialed 5# or something like that (can't remember) and presto voice command. Didnt' matter which phone you had and it worked great. For some STUPID reason they stopped it. I had FULLY expected the pre to have voice dialing and I was shocked when it didn't. Now I'm just hugely disappointed that almost a year later and we still don't. Frankly, it's in inexcusable. Yet another reason why I have a serious eye on the HTC EVO. Android has it out of the box.