Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    “Video For Everybody” Test Page

Not bad, a little weird with the scrolling, but the video quality is excellent... 1.4's a bit better maybe than prior versions with HTML5 video?

Promising if we never see FLASH. WebOS 1.4 added some stronger HTML5 support/elements/controls. did it over 3g and wifi, same decent performance.
    Thanks for sharing! Very cool!
    All this crap about HTML5 video because Apple won't support an industry standard... A pox on them.

I'm just glad my Dell Tablet PC will do everything the iPad will do, plus work with a stylus, plus has a full-size keyboard, plus will play HTML5 and flash video, plus, plus, plus. Oh, and so (soon, I hope?) will my Palm Pre.

Edit: Oh, right, sorry. In my rant I forgot to thank the OP. So, thanks, that's definitely cool.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    All this crap about HTML5 video because Apple won't support an industry standard... A pox on them.

I'm just glad my Dell Tablet PC will do everything the iPad will do, plus work with a stylus, plus has a full-size keyboard, plus will play HTML5 and flash video, plus, plus, plus. Oh, and so (soon, I hope?) will my Palm Pre.

Edit: Oh, right, sorry. In my rant I forgot to thank the OP. So, thanks, that's definitely cool.
    Have you tried html5 youtube?I html5 has been google baby long before the ipad was announced...I think that html standard web coding offers a lot more than just to sell the ipad!!!I mean, look at webGL and open html/java/css browser gaming!

This video is awesome, I've been looking for a html5 video to work with the pre, I cant wait for this to become a standard, it actually looks like html5 will become a actually used standard, opposed to a gimick!Thank god for that!!!lol
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post

Does your Dell tablet get 10+ hours on battery?
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    That might be the iPad's killer app. Walt Mossberg said he tested it with constant use for 11.5 hours - much of which was watching video.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Why does this seem to be the biggest selling point for Apple products lately? It's even leveled at the Pre (even though iPhone's battery is no better, and maybe worse): my Apple device can do less than yours, and do it longer. I've never been at a computer for 10 hrs, especially when I absolutely had to rely on its battery because I wasn't at a desk near an outlet. And if you're on-the-go so much that you would, even 10 hrs is probably inadequate. So me, I'll take greater capabilities over battery life, thank you very much, and I think that was wynand32's point.
    for what it's worth, you're more than likely in the minority. Battery life in a portable device is one of the most desirable features to the masses, and that's why it's always one of the first bullet points in presentations and advertisements.
    Just tested this on the Pre's browser and other than the fact that the video playback wasn't quite fit to the screen properly, it played flawlessly. Very impressive!

I didn't realize how far along html5 support was in the Pre's browser.
    Quote Originally Posted by wunderbar View Post
    for what it's worth, you're more than likely in the minority. Battery life in a portable device is one of the most desirable features to the masses, and that's why it's always one of the first bullet points in presentations and advertisements.
    Of course it's important, but when it becomes your number one selling point, that's sad. Any device can get longer battery life by doing less. My iPod touch is rated for up to 32 hrs of battery life, but soon as I start a 3d game, I barely get one hour. Turn that Dell tablet off, and I guarantee you its battery will last 6 months on one charge. So what's the point? It's important, but in terms of raw capabilities, puh-lease!
    Last edited by PookiePrancer; 04/04/2010 at 11:14 AM.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    this really wasn't about an ipad comparison, it was really about Flash taking forever, and hopes for more html5 based webpages for streaming video (i.e. hulu, netflix, cnn).

that is one Fat-*ss rabbit!

an interesting article on palm's site:
    Video €“ Palm Developer Center

if you look at the supported formats, it's decent (towards bottom of page).

The following are the supported video formats:

•H.264 Decoder Baseline Profile at Level 3.
    Maximum image resolution: VGA (640 x 480 pixels)
    Maximum frame rate: 30 fps
    Maximum bit rate: 1.5 Mbps

•MPEG4/H.263 Decoder MPEG4 Visual Simple Profile at level 5:
    Maximum image resolution: VGA (640 x 480 pixels)
    Maximum frame rate: 30 fps
    Maximum bit rate: 1.5 Mbps
    Last edited by hmorgan25; 04/04/2010 at 11:28 AM.
    yeah, I guess at least my point was: I'll take a device that can handle BOTH formats any day over one that can't (especially when one is so dominant right now). Now if the iPad could give me both PLUS its 10hr battery life....
    Quote Originally Posted by PookiePrancer View Post
    Of course it's important, but when it becomes your number one selling point, that's sad. Any device can get longer battery life by doing less. My iPod touch is rated for up to 32 hrs of battery life, but soon as I start a 3d game, I barely get one hour. Turn that Dell tablet off, and I guarantee you its battery will last 6 months on one charge. So what's the point? It's important, but in terms of raw capabilities, puh-lease!
    Thanks. I was going to post essentially the same thing, but you already did it for me.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by hmorgan25 View Post
    this really wasn't about an ipad comparison, it was really about Flash taking forever, and hopes for more html5 based webpages for streaming video (i.e. hulu, netflix, cnn).
    Absolutely. I was in a ****y mood and completely hijacked the thread. My apologies.
    pretty cool