1.    #1  
    Why does people say it needs faster CPU/GPU more RAM etc? It doesnt NEED anything else yet it still has a fast cpu and gpu and has 256mb of ram for the non plus versions. Thats hardware to do some very nice looking games. Hell with the 800MHz kernel my phone is plenty fast. Just need those features from palm.
    It's mostly because a most recent announced/released phones have 1ghz processers and people always want the latest and greatest.
  3.    #3  
    I guess but the Pre's hardware is far from slow.
    The 800mhz patch is definitely needed. As soon as I take it off, I can tell the difference and I don't like it. The phone's great and so is WebOS, thanks to this community it can now hang performance wise.
    Everybody always wants faster, better, more. Buy a laptop today, and I guarantee you I'll be seeing people on a particular computer site asking how to either make it faster, or upgrade the CPU. Personally, I'm perfectly happy with the stock speed, but I'm not trying to use it to run my life, either. PDA, sure, contacts and phone, yes. Occasional document viewing if needed, yep. I don't need those all to be blazing fast......if I do, I have a computer or two with bigger screens, faster hardware, everything I need for that purpose.
    Well, Palm has two choices.

1) Get way faster hardware
    2) Rewrite WebOS in native code

Honestly, they should do both.
    phone NOW sucks w/o the 800mhz patch!
    Quote Originally Posted by mdmogren View Post
    Well, Palm has two choices.

1) Get way faster hardware
    2) Rewrite WebOS in native code

Honestly, they should do both.

1) They're already near bankruptcy, developing, testing, and employing a new device is hardly a viable option right now.

2) AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $webos$ $is$ $all$ $native$ $linux$ $and$ $HTML$...? $or$ $did$ $you$ $mean$ $to$ $say$ $you$ $want$ $them$ $to$ $rewrite$ $it$ $in$ $a$ $proprietary$ $code$? $That$ $would$ $make$ $the$ $open$-$source$-$ability$ $of$ $webOS$ $much$ $more$ $difficult$ $for$ $developers$ $to$ $handle$.
    +1 the 800 patch does wonders in 1.4.1.1
    I personally think the stock 500MHz is just enough for me. Sure, sometimes I want things to load faster, but how impatient can we be? It's a phone. Waiting 3 seconds vs waiting 1 second is not going to kill me. Even the iPhone apps take 2-3 seconds to load at times.
    I din't install the OC patch yet,
    but just out of curiosity... what did the guys do to the kernel to get it running that fast?
    Was it just code optimization ?
  12.    #12  
    Um its a 300MHz OC Buhric....
    you're right we don't need a faster cpu.
    might as well take away our camera function. we don't really "need" it
    we don't "need" a lot of stuff but we want it
    this is stupid i want everything to be better.
    i don't "need" it but I WANT it and a lot of people feel the same way
    Quote Originally Posted by -Gamah View Post
    1) They're already near bankruptcy, developing, testing, and employing a new device is hardly a viable option right now.

2) AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $webos$ $is$ $all$ $native$ $linux$ $and$ $HTML$...? $or$ $did$ $you$ $mean$ $to$ $say$ $you$ $want$ $them$ $to$ $rewrite$ $it$ $in$ $a$ $proprietary$ $code$? $That$ $would$ $make$ $the$ $open$-$source$-$ability$ $of$ $webOS$ $much$ $more$ $difficult$ $for$ $developers$ $to$ $handle$.
    If Palm cannot release a new device in the next 6 months they will simply go out of business. iPhone 4.0 and EVO 4G will kick the Pre while it's down and that will be the end.

By native code I was referring to compiled code, as opposed to interpreted code. The html/css/javascript that the pre uses for its gui is all interpreted code, which makes it easy to develop but also causes all the performance issues that people keep complaining about.
    Quote Originally Posted by mdmogren View Post

By native code I was referring to compiled code, as opposed to interpreted code. The html/css/javascript that the pre uses for its gui is all interpreted code, which makes it easy to develop but also causes all the performance issues that people keep complaining about.
    and would completely ruin the smooth flow and seamless workings of webos and synergy..
    Quote Originally Posted by -Gamah View Post
    and would completely ruin the smooth flow and seamless workings of webos and synergy..
    What exactly, do you think you can write in html/javascript, that you cannot reproduce using a compiled language like C? Whatever it is, you're mistaken.

I am not talking about changing functionality, I'm talking about changing the way the code is written and run, behind the scenes.

They could even leave the sdk available and let devs write their apps in html/javascript - just write the core functionality of the phone in something else (like PDK apps do currently)... and devs who want more can obviously use the PDK.