1.    #1  
    can I not find directions someplace, send a txt, answer a call and come back to what I was looking at..?

particularly directions.

is there a setting for this??
    I too would love an answer to this question. It almost takes the joy out of multitasking because you have to wait for it to load as if you just started it up.
    There is a patch in Preware to prevent the web browser from reloading (Not sure about the maps app). It's under patches/browser.
    there is a patch for that on preware... Can't remember the name right now,but it does stop the random reload from happening. Check it out.
    data-intensive apps (google maps, web etc.) use a lot of memory so in order to try and keep webos running smoothly they stop working when you switch to another app and kick in when you switch back it's really not a big deal and helps to prevent TMC errors
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    data-intensive apps (google maps, web etc.) use a lot of memory so in order to try and keep webos running smoothly they stop working when you switch to another app and kick in when you switch back it's really not a big deal and helps to prevent TMC errors
    That's your opinion, not the the opinion of everyone, and probably not the opinion of most.
    I don't see what kind of browsing someone would be doing that is important enough they can't wait a minute to reload but yet is not so important that they will do some other activity while it loads
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    I don't see what kind of browsing someone would be doing that is important enough they can't wait a minute to reload but yet is not so important that they will do some other activity while it loads
    The kind of browsing where you filled out an entire web form, get a phone call, go back and it reloads wiping out the entire form. The kind of browsing where you are multitasking by going from the browser to another app, switch back to look up more information then wait a minute for it to reload.

I am not saying these phones are desktop computers...but I can run more than a browser and one other app on any distro of linux with 256 MB of ram. Something is obviously not optimized right. What is so extremely difficult about caching the current state of the page to the flash memory before wiping it out for memory? That is what I'd like to know.
    +1 sir, you get an upvote
    your linux desktop, or any other computer, has a hard drive to use as virtual memory when ram is used up.

go open a browser on any desktop and look at task manager with 3 or 4 web sites open, and see just how much memory they hog.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    your linux desktop, or any other computer, has a hard drive to use as virtual memory when ram is used up.

go open a browser on any desktop and look at task manager with 3 or 4 web sites open, and see just how much memory they hog.
    Absolutely. And, Palm has to design for the possibility that the user will have many cards open. That's the other edge of the multitasking sword.I'm not a developer, but perhaps Palm could engineer the browser so that it only does this in low memory states. But then, that would create inconsistencies for the user.

I'm sure that when a majority of webOS devices have more RAM available they'll be able to change this behavior. Granted it's a problem; I'm just not sure that there's a good solution or I'm sure Palm would have implemented it.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    haha dude that post was poorly written.. Your pretty much saying the pre doesn't have around 7gb of storage to use if we go with your thinking. They need to rewrite the code that they currently have in place for how the browser/internet based apps work. I would use that patch mentioned but it doesn't have consistent results.
    hey sorry I'm on my phone I wasn't directing th&t at the post above me. And I read it wrong to begin with so ignore my previos post please!
    I agree with the OP. It's a real headache at times when your flying around through webOS and a reload hits ya.

I use the patch, however I still get reloads. Would saving the page locally/cache after a certain idle or if it 'closes down' the app due to mem hoggin be even possible? It would be nice to pull up a browser to last page koaded without loading it (online that is until I hit refresh)..
    agreed. Waiting for a reload can be very frustrating.
  16.    #16  
    As someone mentioned, its the web forms, forums your typing a response to, etc. And more relevant to me, if i'm in my car and have the directions on screen but need to answer a call or something. I dont want to play the im driving and typing at the same time game....

Maybe I'll try that patch...
    Treo 650 > HTC Mogul > HTC Touch Diamond > BB Curve > Palm PRE > HTC Evo + BB Bold