1.    #1  
    Got my new Palm Pre yesterday! I picked it up at the Verizon store where the sales guy was multi-tasking. He handed me the phone and told me to enter my profile info while he finished with another customer. Here's where my novice stupidity starts...

Question 1) I have no idea what a Palm Profile is even used for. Can I access it somewhere and do edits?

Question 2) When entering my profile info and asked for my email addy, I just entered my yahoo email. I'm sensing this was stupid. I have a Gmail account plus others, including one through my isp (att.net). Should I focus on using my Gmail as a primary to be able to take advantage of all things Palm Pre?

Question 3) When entering my profile info, there was a question something like "do you want Google to know where you are" so I'm thinking "uhm, NO!" Big mistake, because now when I want to use Google Maps, maps doesn't know where I am. And I can't find where to change my answer so Google knows my location.

I am beyond confused but open-minded and can't wait to get over this learning curve. Thanks for the help!
    You can get to it from Palm's website. From that website listed here, you can report your phone lost or stolen, reset your email or password. The profile backs up contacts, email, applications, etc. It does not back up message or call logs.

You should add your gmail account yes, for the email/contacts/calendars. The email you entered during the creating a profile process is only to sign in and redownload your apps, etc.

On the third launcher page is the Location Services app. Tap it to enable GPS or Google Location Services.

https://ps.palmws.com/palmcsext/cons...oginPage.iface is the link
    Last edited by laelipoo; 04/03/2010 at 04:18 PM. Reason: add link to palm profile.
    you can log in to you palm profile on line if you don't like the email address you had used
    https://ps.palmws.com/palmcsext/cons...oginPage.iface
  4.    #4  
    On the third launcher page is the Location Services app. Tap it to enable GPS or Google Location Services.

Under "Location Services" I have "Auto Locate" and "Geotag Photos". I already have Auto Locate turned 'on'. But I don't see anything about Google Location Services specifically. And Google Maps still doesn't know where I am.
    You have to click on the little drop down menu on the top bar on the left hand side. Give me a second and I will get you a screen shot.

Here:

make sure both are checked.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by laelipoo; 04/03/2010 at 04:26 PM. Reason: add a pic
  6.    #6  
    Got it. Thanks! You guys are awesome!
    No problem. If you have any other questions, or need anything else, we can help.

BTW, the preference menus work like that for almost all apps. Top left drop down menu. Top right is the bluetooth/wifi/airplane mod/battery level/date toggle.
  8.    #8  
    Another question...

Is it possible to mistakenly have the wifi turned on while your intention is to be using your
    data plan ~ resulting in your "data plan activity" getting charged against your wifi 5g limit?

Eeek, was that good grammar or what?!
    Okay, so is the blue dot supposed to be where my phone is? If so, it's way off. I've also turned on auto locate.
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by denisekirk View Post
    Is it possible to mistakenly have the wifi turned on while your intention is to be using your data plan ~ resulting in your "data plan activity" getting charged against your wifi 5g limit?
    There is no wifi cap. You can use any wifi service that you want from your phone, and pay nothing except whatever the hotspot provider might charge if you're not at home.

Verizon supposedly counts phone data usage against their alleged 5GB cap on mobile hotspot data when MHS is enabled. Since MHS leaves a little antenna icon on the bottom right corner of your screen whenever it is enabled and minimized, you should always have an indicator for when it is running to avoid accidental data use against the MHS 5GB cap.

I was just logged onto the new and improved MyVerizon, and noticed that there is no way for me to distinguish my MHS usage from my unlimited data usage. My gut tells me that Verizon has no way to tell either, but I have no intention to exceed my 5GB cap to find out.....
    Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alohaboy View Post
    Okay, so is the blue dot supposed to be where my phone is? If so, it's way off. I've also turned on auto locate.
    Yes, you are the little blue dot with the ring around it.

Have you used Google Maps before this? Maybe that is where you WERE at some point. Try and find a way to re-set your location. (Sorry, not TOO familiar with Google Maps.)
    What if this whole crusade's a charade? -Trent Reznor