Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So I got a Palm Pre and I want to unlock it to use on Verizon. I got the Qinray 1.0.3 ROM but am lost at what to next.

Thanks for your help.
    do you even need to? I though Verizon would activate it on their network....
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    As long as Verizon activates the ESN on their network you should be good to go. Might have to doctor with a Verizon version, but I'm not sure.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    do you even need to? I though Verizon would activate it on their network....
    I cant activate on verizon since the phone refuses to "latch" onto any verizon signal... also I need to bypass palm activation. Sorry I'm new to this but I believe I need to call *228 to activate.
    if you need to bypass the activation use the meta dr

6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    if you need to bypass the activation use the meta dr
    Sorry, noob here but meta dr means what?

How do I change my user name by the way?
    The Palm Pre Plus is only $49.99 right now on Verizon with "Buy one get one free" so if this doesn't work out you can get one for a good deal.
    Lets also do our part in voting webos,for Quickoffice Development
    VOTE,VOTE,VOTE,VOTE....DO IT NOW,PLEASE
    http://quickoffice.ideascale.com/a/dtd/21866-5219
    As far as I know, Verizon won't activate any ESN not already in their database (likewise, Sprint won't activate any ESN not in their database). So your only option would be to change the MEID/ESN of the Pre, which is not only illegal, but also difficult to manage when using the Pre on a different provider than it was intended for. If you manage to get 1xRTT and EvDO data working properly, it'll break with every modem update (usually found in most OTA WebOS updates) and then you'll have to set it up all over again.

Unless Verizon has changed their policy and will add the Sprint ESN to their database, cut your losses and go for a Verizon branded Pre. The Pre Plus is better anyway.

As for the people suggesting to use Meta Doctor, it's not needed. The 1.0.3 Qinray ROM already has the activation bypass.
    I can't think of any reason other than network coverage that someone would want to unlock a Sprint Pre to Verizon and not the other way around. Come on man, it's just $50. Sprint Pre is a downgrade compared. Worth the $50 just to ditch the Sprint Pre.
    $40 over Sprint x 24 months=$480, so it's not just only 50 dollars, my launch day Pre from Sprint is still rock'n, love this phone
    $40 over Sprint x 24 months=$960, so it's not just only 50 dollars, my launch day Pre from Sprint is still rock'n, love this phone
    Meta DR is like a custom webos dr you run on the pre to do all sorts of things. Do a search for META DR in the forums and you will find a thread dedicated to it...

And I could have sworn verizon said months back that they would activate capable phones on their network reguardless of where they came from... guess i could be wrong...

13.    #13  
    Okay it seems that my computer cant see the pre... when I'm in web OS doctor it says connect your pre to your computer. It is connected directly to the computer.
    You either need to turn on Developer Mode or reboot the phone into Bootie mode.

To do developer mode, at the WebOS main screen type in:
    upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart

and the Developer Mode icon will pop up. Turn it on and reboot the phone.

To use Bootie mode (if you can't do the developer mode), take out the battery. Plug the Pre in via USB, then hold down the Up volume button. While holding it, put the battery in. A big USB logo should show up, then you can release the volume button.

All of that being said, simply restoring the Qinray ROM or a MetaDoctor'd ROM is not going to get you anywhere.. except being able to use WiFi.
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    $40 over Sprint x 24 months=$960, so it's not just only 50 dollars, my launch day Pre from Sprint is still rock'n, love this phone
    I would think that because of the savings, that buying a Pre+ directly from Palm and getting it to run on Sprint's network would be something that many people would be interested in.
  16.    #16  
    Well I'm pretty sure I have a brick... the phone just sits on the palm screen now.... the flash stopped at 84 percent so I tried again and it bricked the phone.
    Stopping at 84% is ok. That just means verification of the installation failed, but the installation completed. It sometimes takes a very long time for the phone to startup.
    Quote Originally Posted by deadsix@aol.com View Post
    Well I'm pretty sure I have a brick... the phone just sits on the palm screen now.... the flash stopped at 84 percent so I tried again and it bricked the phone.
    See, it would be best just to buy the Palm Pre Plus on Verizon because it's very cheap right now.
    Lets also do our part in voting webos,for Quickoffice Development
    VOTE,VOTE,VOTE,VOTE....DO IT NOW,PLEASE
    http://quickoffice.ideascale.com/a/dtd/21866-5219
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by tdps2 View Post
    Stopping at 84% is ok. That just means verification of the installation failed, but the installation completed. It sometimes takes a very long time for the phone to startup.
    Well how long... its been turning on for about 20 mins now.
    Quote Originally Posted by deadsix@aol.com View Post
    Well how long... its been turning on for about 20 mins now.
    That's too long. 5 minutes is more than enough. Which WebOS Doctor did you use? Qinray or a Metadoctor'd one? Try again with a different WebOS Doctor. Your phone isn't bricked, it just doesn't have the proper software installed to boot it up. You can still get into Bootie mode and restore it.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast