Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    I received a message today from Verizon letting me know of the features I added.

Well, under the new and exisiting service/feature, it list all the stuff i have on the line. Then I noticed highlighted in bold:

3g Mobile Hotspot 5gb $40...... Monthly Fee $0.00. It seems kind of wierd they would show $40 on the service feature description. Makes me wonder if it's a temp thing and if it will stay that way for the people who got it while it was $0.00.
    I had to get a replacement Pre Plus & activated it this AM. Had to call Verizon to do so (b/c of the data pkg)...anyway, while I was on the phone, I asked the rep about Hotspot being free, etc. She said she knew nothing about it. I asked her to add to my "features" to see if the cost showed...it was $0.00!! So she then said "hang on, yep we are running the promotion right now" I asked if it was indefinite & she indicated that there was no "end date" on her information & that usually promotions have a beginning/end date. Said since there was no end date that indicated it would probably be permanant.

But, keep in mind, this was the same person that did not even know about the promotion when I asked....so, guess we'll have to wait & see.

However, when I did ask about th 5GB limit, she indicated she used a "wireless" source which was similar & was attending school online. Her current courses require many hours online besides her daily email, FB, etc. Said she had never gone over 5GB....

HTH....
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    I called 611 (Verizon) th eother day and asked about the mobile hotspot plan being free. The lady told me it was a temporary promotion and it was only free for 60 days. If I did not cancel it before then I would be charged. I did not turn it on.
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    I have a paper receipt from 2:30 PM EDT yesterday from a corporate VZW store that reads:

3G MOBILE HOTSPOT 5GB $0

If your receipt was before mine, perhaps they forgot to update the description in their system right away?????
    Based on my conversation with the Verizon reps in the store as well as my conversation with Verizon customer service (phone)...I don' think any of them know what is going on with Hotspot...only time will time, hopefully none of us will get a surprise in our bills!
    I just jumped back over to Verizon from Sprint on the Pre. The most compelling reason I did so was for Mobile hotspot. It will save me $40 a month paying Cricket for broadband, plus I will have Verizon coverage, not to mention better phone coverage (Sprint's footprint has way too many deadspots).

Having said that, I questioned the rep on mobile hotspot, and he told me it is free for the life of the contract-in-good-standing (2 years currently for me) and presumably beyond. So I don't think you have to worry. My biggest gripe is Verizon's ETF on SmartPhones is now $350 (up from $200 2 years ago when I was with them). Talk about locking you in.

On the flip side however, their coverage is better than Sprint's in my opinion and I picked the Pre Plus up for $39 bucks - so I am happy.
    On a recorded conversation with a Verizon rep, she said the 3G Mobile Hotspot is free and there is no end date. She did not need any prompting from me - she had all this info right on tap. Also, it's not free just for the length of your contract, it's free period.

Panagiotis
    I found I was able to go to "My Verizon" online account's phone line features, and add the "3G Mobile Hotspot" service for $0.00 (as I did not already have the service), and it added it to the features list for my phone. To boot, there doesn't appear to be a way to de-select or remove it (like you can with the other monthly services like VZNavigator). Wahoo!! Looks like this is going to be a standard free offering for the long haul?!?! Fantastic!

After enabling the hotspot feature online I decided to go ahead and *228 and reboot the phone, just in case it needed to enable something internally, but it worked like a charm! No nasty hacks, just easy WPA2 wireless internet access. Awesome!
    Palm Zire -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Palm Pre Plus
    she was very nice and even knew about it then she said it was promotion for a month lets hope she's wrong
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    I, too, can vouch that the Verizon Rep had no idea what I was talking about when I called. She didn't even know what Mobile HotSpot was...

After being on hold for about 5-7 minutes, she came back and said "Yeah, I see it now, it's free. I've put it on your account."

When asked if it was a promotion or whether it was "free for life," she replied, "It's free for life. No charge. Don't even worry about it."

I'm worried.
    I asked the VZW sales rep as I bought my Pre Plus and he told me that it's free forever.
    Quote Originally Posted by cgibin View Post
    I, too, can vouch that the Verizon Rep had no idea what I was talking about when I called. She didn't even know what Mobile HotSpot was...

After being on hold for about 5-7 minutes, she came back and said "Yeah, I see it now, it's free. I've put it on your account."

When asked if it was a promotion or whether it was "free for life," she replied, "It's free for life. No charge. Don't even worry about it."

I'm worried.
    Once they have you on a plan, they can't change it unless you call them and tell them to. The only way they could charge for this is if they stopped offering the plan you have now, and charged for it with new plans they come up with. That's why you have to tell them to change your plan even when the price goes down (like the recent $30 reduction in the unlimited minutes plan).

Another example, I had tethering on my Centro for $15. Should my Pre fall into enemy hands (or the toilet) and I have to use my Centro for awhile... they may or may not still offer that option.

You can move ahead, but after the 30 days they give you to change your mind, they are under no obligtion to allow you back on a plan if they no longer offer it. WHen that happens, they usually make it better for you to stay on the new one...

For example, they could start charging for Mobile Hotspot on a newly created plan, but charge less, or charge for hotspot but remove the cost of the data plan. So you would look at your net bill and decide if you want to change.

When I moved from my Centro to my Pre+, they changed how they charged for the data plan (it got cheaper) and added the $40 for Mobile Hotspot. The net cost to me was something like $10. And now that it's free, my phone bill is less than it was with the Centro with data and tethering (which was 2G and could only support one PC at time.

Nothing to worry about. They can't just randomly add stuff to your bill.