Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    To the mods of this forum:

I have seen many threads about using the Mobile Hotspot Application on Sprint become closed, but I never see the reason why. Some threads were closed with the attachments removed, others closed without the attachments removed. Sure, people on this forum have been speculating different things, but I'd like to know the true reason for closing these threads, so that I, and the rest of the people on this forum can know what they can and cannot post about.

Please note: I'm not trying to attack any mods, I just want to know what we must stop doing to have the threads closed.
    the hot spot app is available officially from Verizon. The unofficial stuff for sprint Pre's is whats being taken down, the reason is because tethering a sprint pre is clearly forbidden in the T.C's. In an effort to not have pressure applied to palm from the carriers in anyway, these subjects get moderated...
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Global Posts
    751 Global Posts
    The threads are closed because it's illegal to redistribute the MHS app for use on anything other than a Verizon Pre.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by kd0axs View Post
    The threads are closed because it's illegal to redistribute the MHS app for use on anything other than a Verizon Pre.
    Yet I see threads closed with the attachments in them still valid...

Itd be nice to see a moderator explain exactly why they were closed, and what can and cannot be posted
    Global Posts
    751 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    the reason is because tethering a sprint pre is clearly forbidden in the T.C's.
    No, that's not the reason. Sprint may not want people tethering, but it's not illegal. If that were the case, we would have never seen My Tether here on Pre Central either. My Tether is a perfectly legal app that was created by an independent developer. MHS is NOT a legal app when copied and redistributed.

Quote Originally Posted by eovnu87435ds View Post

Itd be nice to see a moderator explain exactly why they were closed, and what can and cannot be posted
    It has been explained several times.
    ya know come to think of it, I have seen Mytether threads around... I think your right, kd0axs
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
  7. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    It isn't because tethering is illegal... It's because coppying and redistributing Verizon's software is illegal.
    well ain't overclocking you pre also in the same boat as if we are tethering you pre, and yet we still talk about overclocking
    Global Posts
    751 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Menace187 View Post
    well ain't overclocking you pre also in the same boat as if we are tethering you pre, and yet we still talk about overclocking

Tethering isn't the problem. Tethering isn't illegal and overclocking isn't either. The problem is that the Verizon MHS app is copyrighted material so copying it and redistributing it is illegal.
    Hey I just updated my apps today and Mobile hotspot updated and is working on my Sprint Pre!!

I've had this app on my phone prior to the 1.4 update and was useless but I kept it on there just in case anyone figured out how to get it running again.

But i went into update and updated the apps I had installed and mobile hotspot is up and working!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Menace187 View Post
    Not the same issue. Overclocking is at best a warranty violation. Risk and effect is all yours as it affects you only.

Tethering consumes bandwidth, therefore effects other users on the network. I don't know what is in Sprint's Terms of Service, but Verizon's TOS clearly prohibits tethering unless you sign up for an appropriate tethering plan over and above the standard Smartphone plan.

Publicly Sprint has announced at various times that they do not or will not allow tethering on phones.
    ---
    Handspring Visor>Sony 710c>Sony NX60>Sony NX80>Treo 700p>Palm Pre Plus>Went over to the dark side with phone->Samsung Droid Charge
    HP Touchpad!
    All, this has nothing to do with TOS or warranty,

Redistributing MHS is a violation of copywrite law. It is the same thing if we strarted posting movies ripped from DVD, or MP3s from our favorite band.

The overclocking kernel is licensed for distribution according to whatever open source license governs it (MIT, maybe?)

So, the issue is that you are not authorized to distribute Verizon's software. That makes sense.
    The Mobile Hotspot app is not open source, nor is it open for distribution outside of Verizon Wireless customers. If some component files are left in place, please report those.

PreCentral.net and its sister sites do not participate in warez or the like. Hope this answers your questions.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    Copyright is lame.
    Quote Originally Posted by mdmogren View Post
    Copyright is lame.
    People opposed to copyright are lame.
    Copyright is lame.
    Go write an app, post it for beta testing anywhere you like, and don't copyright it. Just don't get ****ed off when somebody steals it and sells it, making money off your work, while you get squat.
    Quote Originally Posted by pullbangdead View Post
    People opposed to copyright are lame.
    Yep, and advocating violence against someone because they replicated a sequence of ones and zeros is totally awesome.
    Copyright is lame.
    It's a constitutionally-protected right as shown in Article I, Section 8:

To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries

The United States Constitution - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    The Mobile Hotspot app is not open source, nor is it open for distribution outside of Verizon Wireless customers.
    You are correct in saying that it is not open-source, but it is NOT exclusive to Verizon Wireless! I invite you to read the MHS help screen for how to install it, which advises people that not all carriers support MHS...but in no way implies that this is locked to Verizon and nobody else.

With the apparent legitimate proliferation of MHS on several other carriers in the 1.4.1 upgrade, I'm wondering if Palm isn't somehow paying those carriers to let Pre/Pixi users tether for free as a way to push phones? That would certainly explain Verizon's price drop to $0 for the service. Since MHS is the only truly unique feature of WebOS right now, it makes sense that Palm would want to push it as a sales feature to move phones before some other manufacturer comes out with the same feature.....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I agree, vrei. MHS is a Palm application. There's no copyright infringment at work here. I think Precental just wants to be safe. If the Pre was the lone cause of taxing Sprint's network because of a MHS app that was freely distributed on Precentral, then there may be legal issues with Precentral and Sprint involving damages. It's an understandable concern. Of course, PC understands both sides of this which is why they are closely watching the threads so we Sprint Pre modders don't do anything that can get them in trouble.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast