1.    #1  
    I had some hardware issues with my pre, so I backed up the PalmDatabase.db3 file to my PC.

I then traded it for my new Pre, logged in, and everything appeared to be well. Then, I updated to the latest and greatest 1.41 (rather than 1.4). Now here I am the next day, and I've noticed that I've lost my calendar and a few of my contacts.

I tried restoring my PalmDatabase.db3 file to the new Pre, but it just won't take (I keep getting an "error 5"). Probably has something to do with the backup being an OS version 1.4.

I've found this and this, but I really don't want to have to spend all day writing custom scripts to get everything back to where it should be.

It really aggravates me that I went out of my way to prevent this from happening, and yet here I am with the problem that I specifically tried to avoid.
    Error 5 tends to mean that the Pre is not connecting to QI. Did you put your phone in developer mode?

Also, you should NOT replace a database file on a different version of WebOS. So first, you should doctor to 1.4, then replace the file, then update. Replacing the file between different versions can lead to corruption and worse problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by laelipoo View Post
    Error 5 tends to mean that the Pre is not connecting to QI. Did you put your phone in developer mode?

Also, you should NOT replace a database file on a different version of WebOS. So first, you should doctor to 1.4, then replace the file, then update. Replacing the file between different versions can lead to corruption and worse problems.
    It has been my experience that copying the database file over will cause problems anyway. Maybe this has been fixed since the 1.3 days, but when I tried it (on Two different Pre's) it killed my GPS among other problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by banoggy2008 View Post
    It has been my experience that copying the database file over will cause problems anyway. Maybe this has been fixed since the 1.3 days, but when I tried it (on Two different Pre's) it killed my GPS among other problems.
    I did get it to work a few times, when I cared about my text messages and all. XD But I do know that it will cause them for SURE between two different OS.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by laelipoo View Post
    Error 5 tends to mean that the Pre is not connecting to QI.
    Valid point, but it allows me to read files with no issue. This error is only when I go to write files.

Did you put your phone in developer mode?

Yes, it's in developer mode.

Also, you should NOT replace a database file on a different version of WebOS. So first, you should doctor to 1.4,
    But then I lose EVERYTHING. I have 98% of what I need on my phone.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by banoggy2008 View Post
    So what you're telling me is that in essence, there is still no reliable way of backing up my data on this thing?

Ridiculous.

My old Treos were so easy to back up. This is a damn nightmare.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kooldino View Post

My old Treos were so easy to back up. This is a damn nightmare.
    Agreed; I've spent better part of a day getting device back the way I want in after Doctoring. Old POS and WinMob Treos were literally open up backup app, hit recover, let it do its thing and reboot...
    --Steve

Visor-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 800W-->Palm Pre-->HP Touchpad

My DVD Collection
    My Media Room
    GovTwit Directory
    Twitter: @dslunceford
  8.    #8  
    Yep, ditto for the Palm OS. I really hate not having a quick and easy backup/restore process that's 100% reliable.

Two steps forward, one step back.
    WebOS-Internals is working on a Save/Restore app that will restore and backup application data and, eventually, Memos/Messaging.
    Save and Restore - WebOS Internals

There is also a "PreImage" program that is in development that will backup the entire OS.
    http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...-preimage.html

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
  10.    #10  
    @Abyssul - Thanks for that info. If nothing else, it leaves a shred of hope to correct this major issue.

I'm just disappointed that Palm didn't release one with the phone this time around.
  11.    #11  
    I've gotten this far, but I'm not sure how to get past it.

I'm trying to list the contents of my calendar so that I can manually add them back:

Code:
    sqlite> select * from com_palm_pim_Calendar;
    ||||35184372088835|CALENDAR||0|-9999999||Palm Profile|0|0|40681930227720|37|1378|||0|Local|blue||||||||||||||||||||||||0

||||4398046511127|CALENDAR||0|0||Calendar|0|0|105553116266593|96|111729|0||0|Other|green||||||||||||||||||||||1250323405
    500|Calendar|0
    ||||4398046511133|CALENDAR||0|0||Movies|0|0|105553116266594|96|2001610|0||0|Other|yellow||||||||||||||||||||||1265429275
    707|Movies|0
    sqlite>
  12.    #12  
    Looks like this got me the calendar info I wanted:

select * from com_palm_pim_CalendarEvent;