Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm thinking about getting a Pre Plus to upgrade from my horrible LG Dare. I'm 16 and Im an added line to my parents plan so it only coat me 10 a month right now. The deal was once I got a job I could buy a new phone since I will have money for the data plan.

At first I wanted the Droid but after using it some I don't care for the keyboard and it's a little too big for my taste...

Then I tried the Pre Plus and I love how easy it is to switch using cards and even though I've read about issues with lag there was hardly any and there was at least 10-15 cards open on the demo phone.

The problems are no MicroSD slot so Im stuck with 16GB max which it a lot but it's nice to have the option for more space if needed. The other problem is Palm's future and the rumored c40 or Pre2.

So should I wing it and get a Pre Plus or not?
    I'd say yes! go get it!
    I think you will be satisfied when compared to your current phone, it will be like night and day.
    I would say go for it too. Dont wait for rumors. My verizon contract was up when the Pre came out on Sprint. I heard that the Pre was going to be on verizon, so I waited, and waited, and finally come the beginning of December, I just switched to sprint.
    it is defnitely night and day... If you are concerned with the upcoming update (whenever that maybe), it's pointless... Chasing the "latest" technology will get you no where but always waiting!

get it and I am 100% sure you'll like it
    one of the best smart phone ever....
    I say got for it, I moved from my LG Dare to my Palm Pre Plus a couple months ago. Something you will miss so, so, so much is the Dares battery life. I am not sure about you, but I could go at least five full days without having to put my Dare on a charger, my Palm is charging usually twice a day, I've only had it cut off due to no charge once in this time, but it miss my Dare's battery life so much.

Also you will miss the Dares camera, it is much better, the auto-focus isn't fixed so it is great for semi-marco shots.

Keep your Dare around as an MP3 player and a camera, or just a camera, it's underrated in that dept.
    Don't sweat the lack of removable memory. This bugged me at first but in the end there are plenty of cloud solutions to storing files and retrieving them when needed..and you don't have to worry about a bunch of sd cards floating around that are easy to lose.
    ---
    Handspring Visor>Sony 710c>Sony NX60>Sony NX80>Treo 700p>Palm Pre Plus>Went over to the dark side with phone->Samsung Droid Charge
    HP Touchpad!
  9.    #9  
    I guess my Dare is a dud because I can hardly go 1 day just testing and talking. My first two broke and the one I have now is only around 6 months old...

I'm not so worried about having the latest greatest because it's pretty much impossible with smartphones.

It's just if I can wait a little bit longer and get a better product why now wait a while longer.

I'll probably end up with the Pre Plus and hopefully Ill be able to buy some stocks too.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeD1346 View Post
    I would say go for it too. Dont wait for rumors. My verizon contract was up when the Pre came out on Sprint. I heard that the Pre was going to be on verizon, so I waited, and waited, and finally come the beginning of December, I just switched to sprint.
    Ha! I just did the same thing 3 days ago, except in my case it was from AT&T to Sprint (I couldn't wait anymore, either).

Anyway, OP, I say go for it. The only issue is battery life, but that can be tweaked and fixed and you should be okay. Lag isn't an issue for me at all.
    THIS IS HOW WE HANDLE BUSINESS
    I'm waiting until they fix the bugs for double key entry and GPS lock before getting the Pre+. I can imagine using a phone with either of these problems. It would be a step down from the reliable 680.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Quote Originally Posted by iTz Nicholas72 View Post
    I guess my Dare is a dud because I can hardly go 1 day just testing and talking. My first two broke and the one I have now is only around 6 months old...

I'm not so worried about having the latest greatest because it's pretty much impossible with smartphones.

It's just if I can wait a little bit longer and get a better product why now wait a while longer.

I'll probably end up with the Pre Plus and hopefully Ill be able to buy some stocks too.
    Yup, the Palm Pre Plus is a great phone and right now it is only $49.99 and it is Buy one get one free, so even if your parents need a new phone they could get one for free. Also what did you mean when you said

hopefully Ill be able to buy some stocks too.
    ?
    Lets also do our part in voting webos,for Quickoffice Development
    VOTE,VOTE,VOTE,VOTE....DO IT NOW,PLEASE
    http://quickoffice.ideascale.com/a/dtd/21866-5219
    Go for it! You won't find yourself getting the "too many cards" error on the Plus. There's a vid on YT comparing the Pre to the Pre+ in this regard and I think he got up to 50 (or close to it) open. I myself, this week out of boredom lol, opened 41 before I got tired of the exercise and never got the error message. So no worries there and once you have all the cards open that you want, going between them is almost instantaneous. It's so awesome, I must say!

As for the lack of removeable memory, I thought this would be an issue too...but really it's not. I have an iPod with 120 GB that I have yet to fill up and even though I used to carry it everywhere I never listen to half of what's on it. Besides that if you find you really do need more space there are cool (free) apps like Zumo Drive and others that allow you to stream your own music/data from your computer without using up space on your device. Quite nifty, but I don't need it surprisingly enough. I have 7 full length movies (one of which is 3 hours long!), 10 cds, and I've lost count of the number of pics, vids I've recorded with the device and apps I have and I am shocked to find that I still have 11.0 GB available. I can't believe it.

As for the future of Palm, I have no guarantees for you. But I can say that I've been a Palm customer for a very long time and "they" have been predicting the death of Palm for YEARS...and yet they still stand. If they happen to be on the way out for real this time, I don't feel like I'm getting the shaft. At worse, I have an amazingly stable device that does everything I want it to do (except contain Yahoo IM, but I digress) and it won't get anymore updates. I can live with that.

Best wishes to you with whatever you decide.

I'm thinking about getting a Pre Plus to upgrade from my horrible LG Dare. I'm 16 and Im an added line to my parents plan so it only coat me 10 a month right now. The deal was once I got a job I could buy a new phone since I will have money for the data plan.

At first I wanted the Droid but after using it some I don't care for the keyboard and it's a little too big for my taste...

Then I tried the Pre Plus and I love how easy it is to switch using cards and even though I've read about issues with lag there was hardly any and there was at least 10-15 cards open on the demo phone.

The problems are no MicroSD slot so Im stuck with 16GB max which it a lot but it's nice to have the option for more space if needed. The other problem is Palm's future and the rumored c40 or Pre2.

So should I wing it and get a Pre Plus or not?
    In love with my launch day Pre Plus! Here are my impressions thus far.
    "that does everything I want it to do (except contain Yahoo IM, but I digress) "

I actually thought the pre supported yahoo messenger in an update a while back...
    Quote Originally Posted by abbodabbodo View Post
    "that does everything I want it to do (except contain Yahoo IM, but I digress) "

I actually thought the pre supported yahoo messenger in an update a while back...
    The Pre, yes. The Pre Plus, no. However, if Verizon ever allows us the most recent update, it appears that we will finally have Yahoo IM.
    Ah... I didnt realize that was missing.. at least you have the mifi
    Quote Originally Posted by abbodabbodo View Post
    Ah... I didnt realize that was missing.. at least you have the mifi
    This is true, so I won't complain too loudly. Though I'd use Yahoo IM far more than I'll use the MHS, but it's nice to have.
  18.    #18  
    One simple question is there a free app for gmail chat? That is the only IM service I use other than FaceBook so I would really like to have it.
    One simple question is there a free app for gmail chat? That is the only IM service I use other than FaceBook so I would really like to have it.
    No worries, Google Talk is built in and works very well on the Pre Plus. There's also AIM included, just a FYI.
    Get it, dude. Best phone I've ever had and the free wifi hotspot is off the charts.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast