Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Due to being away from my home computer when I decided to take the leap to the overclocked Kernal, I had to try to find a way to do the install without WOSQI. So here is what I did.

**NOTE** You must first have Preware installed! I was in DEV mode when I did mine but not sure if that is necessary for this method.

1. If not already installed, use Preware to install "Internalz" (from Jason Robitaille) and "Terminal" (by WebOS internals) and their related services.

2. Using your Pre Browser go to the web address of the kernal you want to install.

Find the links HERE

**EDIT** The links to the .sh file appear to be set to private. So unless you have a more current link or already have the .sh file and can get it to your phone this won't work.

3. Upon reaching the page of the desired file, you will notice it downloading on the bottom of the screen. When it is complete simply swipe the file to the right in the direction of the arrow. The file will be in your /media/internal/downloads/ folder.

4. Now open "Internalz" browse to your downloads folder and copy the file to /var/home/root/

5. Open "Terminal" and enter the install command for the appropriate file as shown below...

sh /var/home/root/720MHzOS14.sh install (installs 720 kernel)

or alternatively write

sh /var/home/root/800MHzOS14.sh install (installs 800 kernel)

upon completion your Pre will automatically reboot.

In order to verify the install worked, follow the instructions on the developer's thread.

This thread is not a set of comprehensive instructions for this Kernal, please make sure and read the developers instructions on his thread (where the file download link above takes you).

This Kernal is for OS 1.4, I and many others are running it on 1.4.1.1 entirely at our own risk.

I have installed both 720 MHz and 800 MHz, each installed without issues and ran perfectly on my Pre. No restarts, lockups or heat issues, even while charging. In fact it seems to be cooler than it ever was while running at the factory default 500 MHz

Let me know if you found this method to be helpful or useful.
    Last edited by pastorrich1; 04/16/2010 at 03:18 PM.
    To many steps for me at this time, but it looks to me that a PreWare instalation of the kernel(s) wouldn't be to much hazzle ...
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    just installed using this method, took about 5 minutes total! Thanks! Up and running at 800 mhz and never left my chair!
    Quote Originally Posted by darwaypen View Post
    just installed using this method, took about 5 minutes total! Thanks! Up and running at 800 mhz and never left my chair!
    Same.. Although i was on my computer chair when i did it.. :P

I'm currently running it at 500mhz, and am waiting for the update..

ps: power outages suck... glad i have my pre..
    to tell you the truth I figured it out from the start I can never get woqi to work it always tells me that my device has been disconected but neway you can uninstall the same way too thanks for posting it though
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by autodidact View Post
    To many steps for me at this time, but it looks to me that a PreWare instalation of the kernel(s) wouldn't be to much hazzle ...
    Well, you can do it with only the steps in this thread. There is just a lot of other important information in the developer's thread that anyone doing this should read.

For me personally it was really quick. I had been using Preware, Terminal and Internalz for some time now. But I spent a long time researching and reading before I made the jump to replace the Kernal.

I have been running 800 and having zero issues. Pre runs fast and cooler than it did with default 500.

Thanks for the thanks everyone.
    I need help on how to retrieve internalz and terminal... Download them using preware on my phone,but how to go to them?
  8.    #8  
    There should be an icon on your last launcher page (default location for new installed programs).

You may need to just restart your phone.
    Did Jason make terminal? it shows that webos internals created it.
    I am no longer a part of the Pre Central Community.
    good looking man!!!
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris_C3 View Post
    Did Jason make terminal? it shows that webos internals created it.
    You are correct. I had seen a post where he said the the terminal service had been updated to work with 1.4.1.1 and just thought he had done it. My mistake. Thanks for catching it. Internalz is his though.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    I tried this and I know it should work, but I keep running into the same problem.

when I type the install command into the terminal app, it comes back with the following:

"sh: can't open /var/home/root/800MHzOS14.sh"

can anyone help me why this is happening? I have the file downloaded to that location.
    No problem here. I play awhile and see how it goes.
    So I installed the 800 MHz and now when I plug my pre to the USB it is not recognizing that the device is plugged in. What do I do?
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    restart the phone
    That didnt work. the battery is draining. Do i need to doctor it?
  17.    #17  
    I wouldn't doctor just yet. Uninstall the kernel by using the same command you did to install it except change the word "install" to "uninstall" and see if it fixes your problem. If it doesn't then your problem isn't Kernel related.

I had a Pre replaced for the reason you describe.
    Can you uninstall using this method too?
    nevermind just read it
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by piaband View Post
    I tried this and I know it should work, but I keep running into the same problem.

when I type the install command into the terminal app, it comes back with the following:

"sh: can't open /var/home/root/800MHzOS14.sh"

can anyone help me why this is happening? I have the file downloaded to that location.
    Did you figure this out?

Make sure you are typing it exactly the way the file name appears (it is case sensitive I think). Also make sure the only spaces are between sh and / at the beginning and .sh and install at the end.

The only other thing is to make sure you can see the file in the /var/home/root directory and that you are typing the correct file name.

Oh... are you in Dev. Mode?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast