Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Just a question, does your phone have to be completely stock before you do this? I finally got everything back like it was with my patches and apps (esp MHS) over the last two days, I'm kind of burnt out over the process...
  2.    #62  
    Battery life update...

Today the battery perfomance has been the same or better than yesterday. I took it off of the touchstone at 8 am this morning. I have txted, browsed the web a little, made a couple trips to Preware world, took a couple of phone calls, looked at my feeds from Comics, listened to music connected to my car stereo for about 30 minutes and watched a couple of videos and my current battery level is at 60%.

After 13 hours that is 3.08%/hour.

Not bad if you ask me.

I will monitor it tomorrow at work and see what I get with my bluetooth headset going and the music player app running. I will intentionally leave it off of my touchstone and see how it goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    Just a question, does your phone have to be completely stock before you do this? I finally got everything back like it was with my patches and apps (esp MHS) over the last two days, I'm kind of burnt out over the process...
    your fine you can install the new kenel fine with those patches as long as none of them are cpu scaling or 550/600MHz patches....
    MatterOfFactJack
  4.    #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    Ditto to what Jack said. I had a lot of patches and non-Palm apps installed when I did mine and had no issues.
    Im having problems with WebOS QI so this was great. Thanks
  6.    #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan View Post
    Im having problems with WebOS QI so this was great. Thanks
    Glad it worked well for you. Check back in and report things like battery life, temp, and overall performance issues as you have time.

Also make sure and thank (as well as donate a little something if you can) all the developers that made the 800 MHz Kernel (Caj2008, Marco), Internalz (Jason Robitaille), Terminal and Preware (WebOS internals / Rod Whitby).
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Glad it worked well for you. Check back in and report things like battery life, temp, and overall performance issues as you have time.

Also make sure and thank (as well as donate a little something if you can) all the developers that made the 800 MHz Kernel (Caj2008, Marco), Internalz (Jason Robitaille), Terminal and Preware (WebOS internals / Rod Whitby).
    I had the 800 kernal installed before the recent OS update and was very pleased with it. Uninstalled it fine but after the OS update, I'm having QI issues and it kept saying my device had been disconnected everytime I tried to instal the kernal. I should have thought of using the terminal myself since I had used it to install Precorder and when I saw your post I went "Doh!"

I have seen no decrease in battery life with the patch. I've installed the battery monitor and the temp alert and my pre has never hit one of the alarms. Couple times i notice the pre is a bit warm but that could just as easily be that I am paying more attention to it. Hottest reading i have had is 39.

And yup, I've donated!
    Just for the record, Internalz is completely unnecessary for this. I would go so far as to say that it doesn't even make doing this any easier, since you're going to be doing things from the terminal anyway.

To skip internalz completely, simply enter which ever of the following commands applies to the kernel version you're trying to install.

mv /media/internal/downloads/720MHzOS1.4 /var/home/root/

or

mv /media/internal/downloads/800MHzOS1.4 /var/home/root/

The "mv" (move) command is linux command line 101.

If you want to leave a copy of the script behind in the downloads folder for some reason (can't imagine why) then you would simply replace "mv" with "cp" for copy. Also, if you're doing this through novaterm or SSH, you can simply copy and paste all the commands.
    I have been doing this since I started my scrims thread... I hate being stuck at the computer and I have made it a point to do as much as I can while away from the computer.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
  10.    #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    Just for the record, Internalz is completely unnecessary for this. I would go so far as to say that it doesn't even make doing this any easier, since you're going to be doing things from the terminal anyway.
    Thanks, I was certain there was a way, I just didn't know the commands.

While there are multiple ways to arrive at the same result, usually a GUI interface works best for those who are less CLI minded.

This is an awesome mod and I just wanted to put the cookies on the lowest shelf possible for the average non techie user.
  11.    #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by demetry14 View Post
    I have been doing this since I started my scrims thread... I hate being stuck at the computer and I have made it a point to do as much as I can while away from the computer.
    Yep, I am sure someone had probably already done this in multiple variations, I just couldn't find a thread with instructions for it and had seen several in Caj's original thread asking if it could be done without using WOSQI so I gave it a try.

Of course now that the IPK is out, this thread may go the way of the dinosaur, and rightfully so if Rod makes the patch available in Preware.
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    I have been told he is updating that thread to include such instructions but wanted to focus on the ipk.
    Everytime I use terminal, my phone resets! Damn
    Quote Originally Posted by rpd189 View Post
    Everytime I use terminal, my phone resets! Damn
    Update the Terminal Service Plugin (via preware or WebOS QI).

Edit: If that doesn't work, install Terminus.
  15.    #75  
    Quote Originally Posted by DeathsArrow View Post

Ditto...

and don't go into any of the menus at the top... or you will reset again. Just use the CLI screen just the way it comes up and you should be fine (after you update the service of course).

And... be aware that if you use cat /proc/cpuinfo to check your processor speed using Terminus you might get a flakey reading. I know that was the case when checking a 500MHz default (It would report 600MHz). I don't know if it has an impact running 800 though.
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeathsArrow View Post

I was experiencing the same problem and had 0 updates waiting in Preware (updated my feeds manually a few times to be sure). I had to uninstall Terminal and reinstall it. It pulls the needed update down on the reinstall. It now works for me.

Just to clarify, I was getting a Luna restart not a full phone reboot.
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Ditto...

and don't go into any of the menus at the top... or you will reset again. Just use the CLI screen just the way it comes up and you should be fine (after you update the service of course).

And... be aware that if you use cat /proc/cpuinfo to check your processor speed using Terminus you might get a flakey reading. I know that was the case when checking a 500MHz default (It would report 600MHz). I don't know if it has an impact running 800 though.
    Terminus is an SDL application, and therefore runs at 600MHz (Palm changes the speed in the SDL libraries when such applications start and finish).

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Ahhh having the same issue with Terminal, when you try to change any of the preferences, it does a luna restart..

I am in the process of removing, it, then reinstalling it, as mentioned above, to see if that corrects the issue after installing 800Mz

NOPE! Same thing.. any preference changes, triggers the luna restart..

so, the question, is this just an annoyance, or a foreshadowing of some doom lurking for my future?

Any ideas?
    I have always been a "Phone" person. My love of "Phones" started at an early age. Avatar to the left, is circa 1952, see the sparkle in my lil toddler eyes
    Cell History: Bag Phone, Brick Phone, Various Micro Tacs, Treo's, Centro, the PRE!

I Pre

Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Marco is a very talented and humble developer. He develops this technology as a technical challenge and for the good of the community, not for any personal benefit or fame.
    I want to make it very clear that I am not intending to make any negative statement about anyone else involved with these patches.

caj2008 in particular is doing a superhuman job in developing and organising the development, packaging, testing and release of these scripts and patches, and he deserves huge kudos for doing that often thankless task.

Anyone who is receiving help from these guys should send donations their way - they must be spending an inordinate amount of time supporting these scripts and patches!

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 04/05/2010 at 05:00 PM.
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Any donations we happen to receive that are earmarked for Marco will (at his request) be put towards maintaining the hardware server infrastructure which provides Main Page - WebOS Internals and ipkg.preware.org (which hosts all the package and patch feeds that you access from Preware and WebOS Quick Install) - the community property that benefits everyone.
    BTW, this post was intended just to tell people what we would do if we happened to receive any donations earmarked for Marco. I'm certainly not suggesting you should send donations related to this thread to WebOS Internals - you should send them directly to the people that are doing all the support in this and the other overclocking threads.

-- Rod
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast