Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I posted a similar comment on one of precentral's posts today but figured I would ask the very same question here...

Let me give a little background: I got my first Pre from Sprint in August and have stood by Palm through all that time and still think WebOS is a great operating system but all the hardware issues Sprint Pres are facing and Palm's unwillingness to do anything about it is driving me over the wall.

Recently my first Palm's power button broke so off to the Sprint store I went and requested an advanced exchange. Received a refurbished that seemed to be in fairly good condition. Then two weeks later slider started wobbling... 2-3mm to the right, to the point I can see some of my Pre's electronics behind the slider.

Head to the Sprint Store again and showed them the problem and asked if I can get another replacement. Store Manager took a look at it and informed me that even if they get a replacement it would still have the same problem as all the units they have in stock have that problem. He went onto explain how Palm promised shipping revised phones to them but never did. I asked if Sprint's repair service can do anything about it and he said "no". Mind you I have TEP from Sprint but I didn't wanna leave my phone to a repair shop and not be without a phone for god knows how long.

So I left Sprint and went into a support chat with Palm online. Explained the whole situation and asked if I can get an advanced exchange. Rep said the best he can do for me is to offer repair, which would require me to ship my phone to them.

Now I see Palm getting ready to ship the Pre Plus to AT&T. A device that even Palm itself acknowledged to have none of the hardware issues Sprint Palm Pres have. If Pre Plus is not exclusive to Verizon anymore and AT&T is getting it, why don't they allow Sprint to get this as well and just maybe make up for all the headaches they have caused Sprint customers since the launch. Verizon is now selling the better Pre for 49.99 yet still not standing by Palm and constantly pitching Android sales. AT&T won't be any different. They will put Pre in a corner and keep at pitching iPhone.

Still... Palm treats Sprint and Sprint customers like second grade customers. Still not acknowledging or fixing any of the hardware issues they have with Sprint Pres. What's up with that ? Sprint stood by Palm all this time and without Sprint's help Palm Pre couldn't even be where it is today. Yet Palm treats them (and us) like crap. When will we get non-wobbling, power-button working, crack free devices like Verizon and AT&T ?

I love WebOS and my Palm Pre but with the way Palm has been treating us lately I really feel like I will be switching to Evo 4G this summer and leave an OS and phone I like very much.
    Last edited by cgokcea; 04/02/2010 at 11:07 PM.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    I understand where you are coming from but there is no perfect phone. I have a dead pixel on my phone. It 'wobble's a bit but you know what? It still makes and receies phone calls. All of the buttons work. I can browse the web. Just stop trying to find things wrong and enjoy what the phone does.
    ---Pretend that every single person you meet has a sign around his or her neck that says, "Make me feel important." Not only will you succeed in sales, you will succeed in life.
    when the next palm device comes out. you clearly don't understand business so here's a brief explanation of what's going on

1.Palm releases pre the first gen webos device on sprint as a last ditch effort to stay afloat because of it's rushed nature it comes out with numerous hardware/software problems like most first gens.
    2.Palm begins to fix software problems through rapid updates.
    3.Palm begins to improve hardware with it's new capital.
    4.Palm needs to expand to get webos into new users hands so it releases a newer (1.5 gen if you will) device on a new carrier to stay fresh and implement the hardware improvements.
    5.Palm expands to yet another carrier with what is again better quality controlled hardware to make yet more money and expand webos's user base.
    6.Palm releases a new device on original carrier when first gen users are ready for upgrade.
    7.Repeat
    yeah if u focus on everything thats wrong u tend to lose sight of whats good, i mean u have legitimate gripes and im not tryna sway your decision, you and i got our pre's around the same time and thank god im still on my first and if there are any hardware defects i havent noticed. i still stand by a statement i have made many times on this site that the pre is the best phone i have ever owned. As far as the way palm treats us all i can say is at least they r trying. since the phones inception there has been a steady stream of updates. Some good some bad. This shows me that they r doing SOMETHING which is better than nothing.
    THE CHAMP IS HERE!!
    Verizon has had issues with the keyboard and AT&T has not released the Pre as of yet. However, I agree with the hardware issues of the Pre. I think this is a standard complaint across the board though.... I like WebOs too much to go for the Evo. I think we will get a 4G Palm device by the end of this year.
  6.    #6  
    I am well aware of that business cycle but with how Palm still hasn't sold 400 thousand of 900 thousand devices they have shipped there are serious rumors that Palm is cutting back on development and manufacturing and focusing all their efforts on marketing, which means there probably won't come a new Palm device this summer and Sprint users will still be left in the cold.

Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    when the next palm device comes out. you clearly don't understand business so here's a brief explanation of what's going on

1.Palm releases pre the first gen webos device on sprint as a last ditch effort to stay afloat because of it's rushed nature it comes out with numerous hardware/software problems like most first gens.
    4.Palm needs to expand to get webos into new users hands so it releases a newer (1.5 gen if you will) device on a new carrier to stay fresh and implement the hardware improvements.
    5.Palm expands to yet another carrier with what is again better quality controlled hardware to make yet more money and expand webos's user base.
    6.Palm releases a new device on original carrier when first gen users are ready for upgrade.
    7.Repeat
    Lets hope that a new device is coming this summer, not next summer. If they are going to wait until CES 2011 to show a new phone, and if we then have to wait until June again to actually get that new phone, then Palm is in some big trouble!
    I think Palm will release a faster device to Sprint this summer--they'll have to if they want to keep selling phones. A 1GHz processor is probably a relative no-brainer, with memory upgrades as well. Probably there will also be significant software upgrades, a webOS 2.0. The software will be the more noteworthy upgrade, I should think. And it will mostly likely be available to all Pres.

I think the form factor will probably stay the same, but with substantial revisions to the mechanics so that the slider is better. Possibly a bigger, higher-res screen.

But I think a 4G device is a long shot. If I were Palm, that would not be where I would put my precious development dollars right now. I just don't think Palm is really aiming for the "I gotta have the biggest and most powerful device being made right NOW!!" kind of customers. I don't believe that approach will pay off for Palm, because that kind of device has limited appeal and costs more to develop (even if it does appeal to the top part of the market). I would continue to focus on the software, and make the relatively easy hardware upgrades that are necessary to remain mostly competitive.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by cgokcea View Post
    They will put Pre in a corner
    nobody puts pre in a corner.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by billyboy784 View Post
    nobody puts pre in a corner.
    Yea ? You may wanna do some more reading:

Verizon against Palm Pre??? - Palm Support Community

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...uldnt-buy.html
    It's a takeoff on a movie quote -- from Dirty Dancing -- "Nobody puts Baby in a corner"
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    It was a movie line, except the word "pre" replaced "baby." I am pretty sure it wasn't a serious statement.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    I'm in the midst of having multiple issues with my Pre which I got in July At this point i'm waiting until July 1st so I can just get a new phone.
  14.    #14  
    Just to update: My love for Palm overcame my love for Sprint and I decided to bite Sprint's ETF and switch to Verizon and get Palm Pre Plus for 49.99. Better phone, better memory, better coverage and this thing feels solid from all corners! Sorry Sprint. It's been nice knowing you but you needed to figure out your issues with Palm instead of trying to pave Android's way with Evo 4G. WebOS all the way!

Let me add that unlike many reports Verizon salesguy was very enthusiastic about Pre and informed me that they have been selling Pres like crazy since the price reduction.
    Last edited by cgokcea; 04/03/2010 at 08:57 PM.
    Global Posts
    458 Global Posts
    I got my first Pre on release, had about 5 since then. The problem lies with giving people refurbed phones. You are receiving other peoples problems. I was told about 8 months ago by a Pre rep, in a Sprint store, that there were 2 models of Pres. I requested to have a new Pre not a refurb. The manager told the sales rep to give me one. That is the same pre I have to date. It is no where close to the same phone as the other ones. It is 100% solid phone. No slider play or anything. Infact, the model ID on my Palm profile shows a different name, then all the others.

I think you are getting stuck with older model Sprint Pre phones. The ones that where given to the first Sprint users. As problems were fixed the new model was released, to newer customers. I would ask for a new Pre. Not a used one! Good luck
    I don't know how many people people we've seen go to the repair center & get a refurb b/c of the power button issue but we know it is rare that anything good ever follows. There is a fix that is well documented on these forums. It will save you from the chain of events that this guy went through.
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    maybe cause we spell like them. Threats, lol j/k
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post

7.Repeat
    Then that's simply bad business.

I'd say over 50% of Palm's customers are Sprint users. Fixing your hardware with tweaks then introducing on the other two carriers?

It's been almost a year now and yet this tweaked version is coming to AT&T and not Sprint? Sprint users should've saw this version last December or so.

What's Palm waiting for? Apparently they're waiting for the Evo to drop..for Apple to do their little 4.0 event, etc.

That little contest with the Plus Pre winning? I didn't vote for it. I've never used one. Maybe if Palm would've done the right thing and let its launch carrier have them?
    it would've been bad business to release newer version in december when none of the original pre owners could upgrade and would've mad me and I'm sure many others reluctant to buy it since who knows how long before it becomes obsolete again
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    If I were PALM I would aim for an early Q4 release of a new phone on Sprint. Paired with a good marketing campaign and strong seasonal demand it could be a hit. My upgrade comes on 11/1 too ;-).
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast