1.    #1  
    Long time Palm user who is going to make the jump to a Verizon Pre Plus soon. (I'm hoping a lot of other are going to do the same)

What should a person who wants to get the most out of the device do in the way of customization from the stock Pre Plus? What is the "must have" software AND hardware? It would be a helpful guide to such ones.

So far, my list includes:

1) Overclocking to 800mhz - if it burns up, I'll gladly buy one from all of the complainers who keep proclaiming how they want to dump their Pre's... seriously. (But not for 300 dollars)

2) Preware utility

3) Classic emulator - how well does it work with apps like iSilo?

4) Extended life battery -

5) Touchstone -

What is the best way to back the device data up to a local PC? I don't want to put ALL of my eggs in 'the cloud'. And is there any way to back up a 'image' of the device, like a "ghost" image of a PC?

Is there a good memo program with encryption?

Don't care about Doc's To Go, I've had it for years on all of my other devices and hardly ever use it for anything but viewing. Games - I need only one or two as a diversion -otherwise the wife and kids will want to constantly play with it and kill my battery. Music is cool, but not a priority - Pandora will work for me, and the best player out there.

Any other suggestion? I'm not afraid to modify (within reason)

Thanks in advance,

C
    Overclocking and Preware are a must! The overclocking really makes a difference and Preware gives you so many different options that aren't included in the stock Pre. I don't you the classic emulator so I can't offer anything about that. I use the touchstone and it is awesome, but the only problem is that there isn't a extended battery that will fit the touchstone back. So for now, it is either one or the other. If they made a back to fit the extended battery and worked on the touchstone, I would buy it.

I have looked into a couple of ways to back up my phone to desktop, but haven't been excited about any of them. As of right now, I back up my contacts and calendar to google. Google has worked flawless for me so far. Don't rely on the palm daily backup to save your stuff. A lot of people, me included, have lost all contacts when trying to use the palm restore.

I am a believer in the Pre and have had it since day 1. If you don't mind spending some time on Precentral, you can tweek your device to your liking. Good luck.
  3.    #3  
    Beach,

Thanks for the reply. Too bad there is no way to get the extended battery and the Touchstone charger. Walked in a Verizon store and chatted with the rep there. Described the cool homebrew stuff and he look stunned <duh> "I didn't know you could do that".

I told him that after I customized the Pre Plus I would bring it back and show him how much better the device is than the ones he sell.

Anybody else care to recommend hardware and software everyone should start out with? Best device cover? Best News app? Best GPS/Travel app?

C
    I like the NY Times app, not sure if it's the "best" news app, but it's the best for me, I pretty much use it every day.

As for music, I use radio times and slacker radio allot, I really like radio times.

Not rally a GPS app, but will surly help you if you travel, Both Yelp and Where are nice apps to find restaurants, bars, gas stations etc..

Can't help you with the GPS I'm on Sprint so I use the Sprint Navigator.
    You can use and extended battery and a touchstone. First there is the 1350mah or 1400 mah batteries. They work perfect. If you go for one of the bigger ones there is a little mod you can do and make it work. I would get a second touchstone back and play with the extra cover. Here is the mod link for a 2600mah.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    For longtime Palm OS users, I would recommend that you install:
    ClassicNote and Quick Event
    Both apps are homebrew, and should be available via Preware
    ClassicNote brings back the feel and simplicity of the PalmOS memo app. I never liked the Pre sticknotes.
    There's also a classic ToDo, but I think the webOS ToDo is pretty good.

Be sure to read the ClassicNote thread here on the forums. It tells you how to sync with the old Palm Desktop. Sadly, your Palm profile backups only backup your "stickies" in the stock memo app, notes in ClassicNote would not be backed up unless you sync with Palm Desktop.

Also, if you can't find a Touchstone kit, PreCentral has an accessory store, or if you want to play with it right away, Sprint stores also has it (but since you are with Verizon, Sprint would sell it without any discounts). The Touchstone is a must, doesn't it remind you of Palm Pilot cradles?
    1) Overclocking- cool patch many users are running it with no problems, my launch day Pre is almost 10 months old and I am happy the way it runs stock, especially after the 1.4.1 update.

2) Preware - What can I say but it rocks, and don't forget to donate, these guys volunteer their time and use the money to keep the service running. This will get you started: http://www.precentral.net/how-add-ho...hes-and-themes

3) Have not tried this app yet.

4) Extended battery - Running a Mugen 1400, great battery, 31 dollars shipped and works great with the TS back cover. I have my stock battery as a backup (never have used it yet).

5) TS charger - Have one on my nightstand, one mounted on the dash of my car and one in my travel bag, one of the best ideas ever!

6) I use webOS Quick Install to back up my Pre, check it out: http://www.precentral.net/how-back-y...le-information.

Off course there are many apps such as Pandora and Slacker Radio and many more, with my TS charger mounted on my dash next to my steering wheel, I have my Pre plugged into my aux. jack and never have to listen to another annoying commercial on the radio ever again.

Enjoy your new Pre
    Some other excellent apps:
    FlightView--track your flights and automatically put them on your calendar.
    drPodder--excellent podcatcher
    Evernote--enables access to your notes from anywhere
    Twee/BadKitty/Tweed--three great twitter apps

And some other words of advice: I recommend trying to live in the cloud, even though you don't want to. Get yourself a gmail account and store all your contacts there (you can import and export an Outlook compatible csv file). The Pre was not designed to live plugged-in to your computer. There are, however, some good sync'ing apps.

For music, if you use iTunes, I recommend doubleTwist on your computer. It will interface with your iTunes database and allow you to sync music to your Pre.

I would also add that you should expect some initial frustration. After two days, you'll consider returning it. Don't. Hang in there. You'll soon find that while you miss some things from Palm OS, there are a LOT more new things to love. But it will take a bit of time.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    Dr. Podder is the best buck you eill spend, great podcast app.

Definitely dowload Preware, it definitely lets you customize your phone to how you like it and makes the experience that much better.

I haven't tried the Overclock patch since the 1.4.1 update, would porbably wait until you get the update before trying it.
    THere is a guy on these forums that will put the electronics from your TOuchstone back in the back for an extended battery. I think he charges $50.

I am planning to do that for mine once I stop spending so much on app store stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    Beach,

Thanks for the reply. Too bad there is no way to get the extended battery and the Touchstone charger. Walked in a Verizon store and chatted with the rep there. Described the cool homebrew stuff and he look stunned <duh> "I didn't know you could do that".

I told him that after I customized the Pre Plus I would bring it back and show him how much better the device is than the ones he sell.

Anybody else care to recommend hardware and software everyone should start out with? Best device cover? Best News app? Best GPS/Travel app?

C
    I use a ZAGG to protect my screen. Lifetime replacement guaranty.
    If you are a long-time palm user, you might want to consider PocketMirror or Companionlink so you can sunc to your desktop (outlook) rather than to Palm or Google.

That will be more familiar than the default behavior of the Pre
    Zagg Invisible Shield for the screen protector. Works amazingly well and very smooth. Just don't get the full body shield. It's ridiculously expensive and when you get a touchstone charger, it'll be useless since you replace the back cover anyways.
  14.    #14  
    Finally Pre, Cantaffordit, Netwrkr9 (and All),

Thanks for the information. I do use Gmail so will do the sync to that. Not afraid of the cloud but would like to be sure I have a backup in case something happens and my info disappears into the ether. (Network engineering type - "belts and suspenders" <g>).

Also appreciate the spirit here, reminds me of the early days of computing where all were hobbyist/enthusiasts who were sharing tips and helping one another out before the big money made it just a business. And I will donate to any of the developers who's product I use.

Thanks again to all. Any more good advice?

C