1.    #1  
    I've searched and haven't found what I'm looking for, so please forgive.

I see the webOS Internals Wiki page on doctoring (How To Recover - WebOS Internals), but wondered if there was a thread here that went through some steps to take to preserve as much customization as possible prior to doctoring. I was used to the flash and rebuild model from my old Treos, but this will be first time doctoring and beyond data on USB partition being saved, don't know what else will be restored and what settings can be backed up...
    --Steve

Visor-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 800W-->Palm Pre-->HP Touchpad

My DVD Collection
    My Media Room
    GovTwit Directory
    Twitter: @dslunceford
  2. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dslunceford View Post

I see the webOS Internals Wiki page on doctoring (How To Recover - WebOS Internals), but wondered if there was a thread here that went through some steps to take to preserve as much customization as possible prior to doctoring. I was used to the flash and rebuild model from my old Treos, but this will be first time doctoring and beyond data on USB partition being saved, don't know what else will be restored and what settings can be backed up...
    I don't understand what you're looking for, and therefore I'm not sure how to answer. You're subject seems to imply that you're looking for info on how to Dr. the phone, but then you state "wondered if there was a thread here that went through some steps to take to preserve as much customization as possible prior to doctoring". Do you want to "repair" the phone without having to doctor? That's possible (http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...y-v2-01-a.html). Do you want to just back up before doctoring? That's possible with anything you've uploaded to the USB partition, and the apps should back up to your Palm profile. I'm not sure if that helps?
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    Not sure that I'm in the same boat as this gentleman, but here's my story: something in the upgrade to 1.4.1.1 broke my universal search.

I've a suspicion that it's because I pulled the 800MHz patch post-install, and therefore probably related to some file getting swapped that shouldn't have been swapped.

It seems likely that if I doctor the phone, I'll be able to fix whatever issue I caused, however, I've got some ancient homebrew stuff that I don't think is still available that I don't want to lose by doctoring it back that far.

I think the WebOS Repair Utility might do the trick-- it seems like it will just update any source code that's shifted.

The other thought would be to force the 1.4.1.1 upgrade to run again. If it is 800MHz related, when they get the 1.4.1.1 version out, I suspect that might also fix it.

Gonna try the repair utility, then wait for the new 800Mhz patch before going for the mind wipe. Thanks for the link.

Does this help (though web OS was on a previous version...)

http://www.precentral.net/how-to-res...en-bricked-pre
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by liketreo View Post
    Does this help (though web OS was on a previous version...)

http://www.precentral.net/how-to-res...en-bricked-pre
    Yes, very much, thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by ay View Post
    I don't understand what you're looking for, and therefore I'm not sure how to answer. You're subject seems to imply that you're looking for info on how to Dr. the phone, but then you state "wondered if there was a thread here that went through some steps to take to preserve as much customization as possible prior to doctoring". Do you want to "repair" the phone without having to doctor? That's possible (http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...y-v2-01-a.html). Do you want to just back up before doctoring? That's possible with anything you've uploaded to the USB partition, and the apps should back up to your Palm profile. I'm not sure if that helps?
    ay, yeah, I wasn't as clear as I could have been. I know *how* to doctor, but since I haven't done it, wasn't aware of what was saved and what is not. It appears all apps are backuped and will restore, but, for instance, will they be put on "default" pages or be listed in the customized order I have them in? Will apps like Absolute fitness retain their database of diet/exercise logged? Will apps like MyTether need to be reinstalled? Will my SMS messages restore? Looks like homebrew not backed up, so I should take screen shots to remember what I have loaded (same for patches) Those are the types of q's/info I'm trying to find.
    --Steve

My DVD Collection
    My Media Room
    GovTwit Directory
  6. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    Yes, very much, thanks...

ay, yeah, I wasn't as clear as I could have been. I know *how* to doctor, but since I haven't done it, wasn't aware of what was saved and what is not. It appears all apps are backuped and will restore, but, for instance, will they be put on "default" pages or be listed in the customized order I have them in? Will apps like Absolute fitness retain their database of diet/exercise logged? Will apps like MyTether need to be reinstalled? Will my SMS messages restore? Looks like homebrew not backed up, so I should take screen shots to remember what I have loaded (same for patches) Those are the types of q's/info I'm trying to find.
    Your catalog apps should be restored via your profile (make sure to back up before doctoring), but they won't be placed back in the order you have them if you've shuffled them around from their default positions. Homebrew apps will NOT be backed up, so you do need to make a note of what you have. Because AUPT is still relatively new (with regard to patches), I actually keep a running log of my installed patches just in case. But please do be aware that the repair route I indicated might be a good route to go before doctoring because you won't have these issues (back up) to contend with. Good luck!
    So, OP, dslunceford, did you ever doctor your Pre? I doctored my Pre last night, and it was a very good experience. It resolved my problem, and restored my Pre to the point where I could easily finish customizing it.

Not only that, it seems to be much more responsive after doctoring. I think I'm going to doctor it at least after every software update, and maybe more frequently.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by RJKinsman View Post
    So, OP, dslunceford, did you ever doctor your Pre? I doctored my Pre last night, and it was a very good experience. It resolved my problem, and restored my Pre to the point where I could easily finish customizing it.

Not only that, it seems to be much more responsive after doctoring. I think I'm going to doctor it at least after every software update, and maybe more frequently.
    I did (have done twice, actually); wish I would have waited a week, though, given the launch of Preware Alpha restore homebrew option: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...er-doctor.html
    --Steve

My DVD Collection
    My Media Room
    GovTwit Directory