Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    521 Global Posts
    3G Mobile Hotspot

Includes 5GB of data access for high-speed wireless Internet access!

Any usage above the 5 GB monthly allowance will be billed at a per-MB rate. This feature is separate from your smartphone data feature ... When your smartphone is connected using 3G Mobile Hotspot, all data sent or received by your smartphone (including data sent or received by any Wi-Fi devices connected to it, or by your smartphone itself) will be billed according to your 3G Mobile Hotspot feature, and not according to your smartphone data feature.

I dont know why people keep pushing and ecstatic about this feature. I mean if you go over 5GB of data you will be charged alot of money.

There was a post about is 5GB of data enough, and he said with light use he was at 12GBs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vkitty View Post
    I dont know why people keep pushing and ecstatic about this feature. I mean if you go over 5GB of data you will be charged alot of money.

There was a post about is 5GB of data enough, and he said with light use he was at 12GBs.
    This is specifically for tethered devices. The data your phone uses itself is not included. So don't tether for bandwidth intensive things.
    what carrier?, I'v ran well over 15 gig without the bat of an eye. (sprint)
    Global Posts
    521 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gabbott View Post
    This is specifically for tethered devices. The data your phone uses itself is not included. So don't tether for bandwidth intensive things.

What are people using the tether for?? (Tried to make it not sound like a dumb question)
    Quote Originally Posted by thatwilsonguy View Post
    what carrier?, I'v ran well over 15 gig without the bat of an eye. (sprint)
    He's talking about the Verizon tethering plan which just became "free."
    Treo 300 > Hitachi G1000 > PPC-6700 > PPC-6800 (Mogul) > PPC-6850 (Touch Pro) > Palm Pre & HTC EVO Optimus V
    What are people using the tether for?? (Tried to make it not sound like a dumb question)
    Netflix on the road.
    Global Posts
    521 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thatwilsonguy View Post
    Netflix on the road.
    Won't that go over the 5GB fast?
    Won't that go over the 5GB fast?
    Sure does, I'm on Sprint so I don't have tethering. My wife had to call Sprint about our account and got a pretty good reaction from the lady about the amount of data I had used last month.
    Either way, you are getting at least 5GB free (the tethering plan used to charge for that, in addition to any overages).
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    This has got to be one of the hottest features for the Verizon Pre and Pixi Pluses.

This will be perfect for syncing mail to your laptop in airports or on the road. If you are traveling you can let the whole family check email, do their Facebook thing, web surf, etc.

But what I really get excited about is connecting an IPad for free internet browsing and Skype.

I can't imagine exceeding 5 GB for my usage.
    Pilot Pro -> Pilot Vx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> Pre -> Pixi Plus -> Pre2 + TouchPad -> BB 9930 -> Pre3+ Playbook
    Verizon -> Cingular -> ATT -> Sprint -> Verizon -> ATT

I have a broadband card and we use it mainly for travel to check e-mail; pay bills (we both usually check e-mail on our phones but might use it to send replies). That is what DH and I would use his Verizon teathering for.

I find 5 sufficient for that. It's not for heavy use in my opinion. However it's easy to watch it. DH and I e-mailed back and forth everyday from 8-3 (using e-mail like instant messaging) for a month and didn't even hit 3.
    wait, shouldn't that be 5GB on top of your phone's data limit? Or does the MobileHotSpot app record what data is tethering traffic?
    Yes it's separately accounted for from your phone.

I'm not sure I would call that light use. 12 GB on the phone is a lot, unless he is trying to replace his home connection with tethering to his cell.

Here is a quick look at my home use:
    Feb - 54GB
    Mar - 86 GB
    Apr - 2.5 GB so far
    5gb is fine for normal usage. I had a usb wireless card for a while and if you only use it for traveling or what not, its perfect and free. That thing for 5gb was about $60 and a 2 year contract...
    I don't know what Verizon's charge is for what you go over but with Sprint Broadband (since we don't have free tethering app like Verizon) is : $.05/mb Overage($.00004882/kb)

5GB of data usage

Data usage displayed in KB (kilobytes)
    1MB = 1024KB
    1GB = 1024MB or 1,048,576KB

and that would be

1,700,000 sending or receiving emails

or

10,000 low resolution photos

or

1667 song downloads

or

7 full length movies
    That 5gb plan is still $59.00 a month, just checked...
    Quote Originally Posted by Peterules View Post
    On Verizon you can add the Mobile Hot Spot for free on the Pres and Pixix. DH just did it yesterday. However their cards are still $60. As is Sprint's.

I hope Sprint follows suit with Verizon and makes it free.
    sprint already doesn't allow phone tethering they're really trying to sell those 4g hotspots so doubt they'll add it just because verizon did considering how much cheaper their rates are
    Global Posts
    521 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Peterules View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cowgirlupkelly View Post
    On Verizon you can add the Mobile Hot Spot for free on the Pres and Pixix. DH just did it yesterday. However their cards are still $60. As is Sprint's.

I hope Sprint follows suit with Verizon and makes it free.

Ya you can only get the free Mobile Hot Spot for free if you have a Pre.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast