Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    sprint already doesn't allow phone tethering they're really trying to sell those 4g hotspots so doubt they'll add it just because verizon did considering how much cheaper their rates are
    Maybe...maybe not! I an hope. It's like asking Santa for a pony.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vkitty View Post
    What are people using the tether for?? (Tried to make it not sound like a dumb question)
    If you use it for basic browsing, 5GB should be plenty. Once you start streaming or do alot of downloading with it, then it can add up fast.
    Quote Originally Posted by cowgirlupkelly View Post
    It's like asking Santa for a pony.
    You got a pony every year for Christmas too?
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gabbott View Post
    If you use it for basic browsing, 5GB should be plenty. Once you start streaming or do alot of downloading with it, then it can add up fast.
    What does 5GB (Gigabytes) Get Me? : EVDOinfo.com

Basically if you're not streaming/downloading video you're pretty much good for a month.
    The very first post should have stated he or she was talking about verizon.There rip offs and should not even have the pre..
    Quote Originally Posted by rjumawan View Post
    The very first post should have stated he or she was talking about verizon.There rip offs and should not even have the pre..
    What are you talking about?

Even though I still don't completely believe that Verizon is just trying to be nice and give you a great service for free, I still believe that this should help Pre/Pixi sales. The more sales the better
    I dont know why people keep pushing and ecstatic about this feature. I mean if you go over 5GB of data you will be charged alot of money.

There was a post about is 5GB of data enough, and he said with light use he was at 12GBs.
    You need to do some math. For someone to use 12GB of data in 30 days, they would have to be hosting an e-commerce server or a bit-torrent server through their phone. Of course that would violate about 8 different aspects of the service terms.

I used my Treo and Centro heavily to tether for years. I was playing on-line games, watching Hulu, syncing with Rhapsody, etc. In all the years I had that set-up, I never got above 2.5GB in a month.

THe average album of music is 400-600mb, and movie download is usually less than 1GB. You can do the math and see that you would really have to work at it to excede 5GB in 30 days, unless you have nothing else to do all day.

And if you really use that much data, then MyTether might be in your future...
    Quote Originally Posted by Naris View Post
    What does 5GB (Gigabytes) Get Me? : EVDOinfo.com

Basically if you're not streaming/downloading video you're pretty much good for a month.
    Also, remember the difference between bytes and bits...
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    What are you talking about?

Even though I still don't completely believe that Verizon is just trying to be nice and give you a great service for free, I still believe that this should help Pre/Pixi sales. The more sales the better
    They aren't being nice, they are being smart. Very few people were willing to pay $40 for mobile hotspot. By charging for it people are likely to use MyTether of FreeTether instead. Verizon can't control that and it looks like regular phone data traffic when you do.

SInce about 1% of their users ever exceed the 1%, it's better for them to have everyone on the Mobile hotspot where they can control it, and charge the few that abuse it.

And, since the Mobile Hotspot is exclusive to Verizon, it's another way for them to create a competitive differentiation with AT&T right before the Pre gets launched on AT&T....
    Quote Originally Posted by thatwilsonguy View Post
    what carrier?, I'v ran well over 15 gig without the bat of an eye. (sprint)
    The data useage for your phone doesn't count toward that. The htspot data usage goes across a different part of the network than browsing that you do from your phone..
    Quote Originally Posted by thatwilsonguy View Post
    Netflix on the road.
    decided to connect my pc to my HDTV and full screened it and for easter decided to watch the passion since I haven't seen it since it opened. So teathering does come in hand sometimes ;-)
    I dont know why people keep pushing and ecstatic about this feature. I mean if you go over 5GB of data you will be charged alot of money.

There was a post about is 5GB of data enough, and he said with light use he was at 12GBs.
    for sprint it doesn't entirely apply unless you have a teatherplan. As for myself... I've done 30gigs in one month and this month just started at 12am and already did 100+megs.
    MHS is now running on non verizon phones just search for it on the forums and there's instructions. As far as it goes my Pre may not be a Plus but I'm not having to pay for data on my phone PLUS for tethering since I'm on Sprint lol... Verizon charges for tether separately and ontop of your unlimited data plan. As long as your not too greedy sprint will overlook your hard usage. But definitely stay away from the 100 Gig mark unless you want to get spotted.
    I knew there was a catch to Verizon's Mobile Hotspot. Predictable and pathetic.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever92 View Post
    I knew there was a catch to Verizon's Mobile Hotspot. Predictable and pathetic.
    What are you talking about? The stand-alone MIFI unit on Verizon is $59/mo. for the same data. $39/mo Mobile Hotspot was already a good deal. Now, that you get 5GB/mo -- that is fantastic.
    Pilot Pro -> Pilot Vx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> Pre -> Pixi Plus -> Pre2 + TouchPad -> BB 9930 -> Pre3+ Playbook
    Verizon -> Cingular -> ATT -> Sprint -> Verizon -> ATT
    The thing I am curious about is Battery Life. I am going to be getting a Palm Pre Plus next friday () and the prospect of free Mobile Hotspot makes it even more worthwhile, plus the price reduction. The one thing i can see being a problem is how long the phone will last. I keep hearing many people complaining about battery life on their Pres already, does Mobile hotspot make it much worse?
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by newt45 View Post
    The thing I am curious about is Battery Life. I am going to be getting a Palm Pre Plus next friday () and the prospect of free Mobile Hotspot makes it even more worthwhile, plus the price reduction. The one thing i can see being a problem is how long the phone will last. I keep hearing many people complaining about battery life on their Pres already, does Mobile hotspot make it much worse?
    I'm sure itgoes through batteries faster, but since you are usually tethered to a laptop with a USB port you can even be charging your phone while you WIFI.
    Pilot Pro -> Pilot Vx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> Pre -> Pixi Plus -> Pre2 + TouchPad -> BB 9930 -> Pre3+ Playbook
    Verizon -> Cingular -> ATT -> Sprint -> Verizon -> ATT
    Sprint just announced a new 4g phone made by HTC. One of the main features is that you can tether up to 7 devices and its included in the regular phone plans. I dont know why this would be different for the pre. So, Im thinking that they will be making an app for wifi that has the blessing from palm and spring..

BTW, the new HTC phone will be out this summer..
    Has anyone looked at the data plan for the new 3g/4g modem they're pushing for free with a new or upgrade contract? They limit you to the 5gb a month, but only 3g data. 4g is unlimited. Interesting...
    Global Posts
    273 Global Posts
    I also go quite past the 5gig mark every month (on my Pre(Sprint)) and I don't tether. I've never been billed for extra data usage.

We did have an employee purchase (from our account) and use one of those USB dongles. And he doubled 5gigs, 2 months in a row. To the tune of 600.00

We killed that noise quick!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast