Page 45 of 48 FirstFirst ... 35404142434445464748 LastLast
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by svegeta123 View Post
    Btw, does anybody know if a PRE-PAID at&t sim card can be used to activate the phone and create the palm profile?
    Yes, you can use a prepaid to activate. I decided to activate my new phone this way before unlocking with nextgen. I am waiting for access to a windows XP computer to do the nextgen unlock. I already purchased the code.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    What TTB is basically trying to tell you is that Rebel Sim sucks.
    I happen to agree with him.
    Thanks to both. I had spent a couple of hours searching before asking, but I guess I didn't go back far enough, so you've saved me a lot of time. GFN's summary of what order and where to activate was also very useful. Thanks again.
    Last edited by DamnMachine; 08/02/2010 at 04:33 PM.
    Hi GuyFromNam, thanks a lot for your generous feedback. Really helpful and informative specially for those who are new to the community like me. Appreciate it!

Hi GuyFromNam, the phone has now been activated (/w profile created) in the US using an AT&T sim. If I remember it correctly from a forum (though I forgot where ), is it necessary to turn off the data from the preferences option so that it won't prompt you again with the profile creation once you are ready to unlock it using a different sim card? Or once the phone has been activated (/w profile created), you are good to go to proceed with the unlock process without having to bypass the profile creation?

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by dhigby View Post
    Yes, you can use a prepaid to activate. I decided to activate my new phone this way before unlocking with nextgen. I am waiting for access to a windows XP computer to do the nextgen unlock. I already purchased the code.
    Hi dhigby, thanks for the info. My friend has now activated it in the US using his AT&T sim card In a couple of weeks, he'll send me the phone in Australia. My concern now is while the phone is still in the US, do I have to ask him to disable the data in the preference option so that it won't ask me for the profile creation again during unlocking using a different sim card here in Australia?

Thanks.
    Hi GuyFromNam, the phone has now been activated (/w profile created) in the US using an AT&T sim. If I remember it correctly from a forum (though I forgot where ), is it necessary to turn off the data from the preferences option so that it won't prompt you again with the profile creation once you are ready to unlock it using a different sim card? Or once the phone has been activated (/w profile created), you are good to go to proceed with the unlock process without having to bypass the profile creation?

Thanks.
    Disabling data has no relevance in this matter.
    If your friend activated it using your e-mail address, you're fine.
    If he hasn't used your e-mail addres, you can change it online by logging into your profile at https://ps.palmws.com/palmcsext/cons...oginPage.iface

If you need to reset the phone, you'll possibly need Meta-Doctor (search!).
    If you want to contact other Australian users on your carrier, search "Palm World Cup.

Other than that, wait till you get the phone. You're getting a bit ahead of yourself.
    Disabling data has no relevance in this matter.
    If your friend activated it using your e-mail address, you're fine.
    If he hasn't used your e-mail addres, you can change it online by logging into your profile at https://ps.palmws.com/palmcsext/cons...oginPage.iface

If you need to reset the phone, you'll possibly need Meta-Doctor (search!).
    If you want to contact other Australian users on your carrier, search "Palm World Cup.

Other than that, wait till you get the phone. You're getting a bit ahead of yourself.
    Great! Thanks again
    Any advice on the following problem running the Nextgen unlock client?
    (I've also submitted this a ticket to Nextgen, but as it's Friday evening they may not get to it till Monday, and I'm wondering if anyone here has any good ideas).

///
    I am following the instructions fine until I get to step 6, when the PC is supposed to detect new hardware, and I should be able to install the two "Gak Asterman" drivers.

My PCs are not detecting any new hardware, so I'm not being prompted to install these drivers. (Have tried this on two different PCs, both running Vista: same on both. Don't have an XP machine I can try it on). On both machines, this was the first time it had seen the Pre.

I then followed the instructions in the FAQ on page 3 re "I get no new hardware wizard". I've tried re-installing the unlock client and novcmd drivers, no luck.

I've also tried in Device Manager manually installing the drivers for the Palm Pre and Novacmd devices, they say they are up to date. But the "Gak Asterman" comm port devices never appear in Device Manager, so I can't get these drives installed.

I'm using a UK O2 locked Palm Pre which appears to work fine on a borrowed O2 contract SIM card. The firmware level seems to be 1.4.5.

Thanks in advance for any help.

\Damn
    Did you enable DEV mode?

It's running stock firmware, right. Nothing custom?
    Yes, Dev mode enabled.
    As far as I know, all stock firmware. I just bought it second hand and haven't had much time to play. I haven't done anything custom, but can't speak for the previous owner. The WebOS version checks out at 1.4.5. Is there any other way to check whether the firmware is stock?
    Nah, it's OK.

You can try setting the DIAG mode manually.
    Look for it in the unlock instructions. (pls note the instructions are for disabling this mode, so you need to do it differently)
    You need to set Port 1 to Diag.

Disable it afzer ze unlock.
    Ok, that's helped a bit, but I'm not there yet.

I followed the instructions on p4 of the NextGenManual to get into USB Passthrough Control. This gave me the message "com.palm.passthrough is not running".

This message is covered in the NextGenManual: it says that if I get this message, I have to upgrade the phone's firmware using webosdoctor.

So I'm trying that. But it's curious, because webosdoctor says it's going to put 1.4.5 on the phone, which is the firmware level the phone already thinks it has.

Wonder if I need to downgrade firmware to 1.3.5.2 as suggested by GFN in one of the other threads. But the link to that firmware at webosinternals.org seems to be dead.
    You can try doctoring your phone to 1.4.1 first:
    http://palm.cdnetworks.net/rom/pre/p...p100ueu-wr.jar

That one's still up.
    Then follow these steps:
    http://forums.precentral.net/gsm-pre...ml#post2578619

I'm not sure this will solve your problem. Perhaps your problem is Vista or hardware related.
    Thanks.

In Device Info, underneath the version number, it says Configuration: World Ready 1.3.
    Is that what you would expect to see on a regular UK O2 firmware?

\Damn
    Quote Originally Posted by DamnMachine View Post
    Thanks.

In Device Info, underneath the version number, it says Configuration: World Ready 1.3.
    Is that what you would expect to see on a regular UK O2 firmware?

\Damn
    Yes, it means nothing. Well, Palm thinks it does. But they're wrong.
    Have now successfully completed the unlock process with NextGen and have a Pre working on Vodafone UK.

The problem I initially reported was fixed by re-installing WebOS 1.4.5 using webosdoctor. The NextGen manual is not IMHO very clear about this potential problem. For future users: if, when following the NextGen process, you get to page 2 step 6, but you are never prompted to install the two drivers needed at this point, then you have one of the four problems described at the top of page 3. To test whether it is the third problem (usb passthrough not running), you must follow the process described on page 4. In my case, when I did this, I got the message com.palm.usbpassthrough not running. Re-installing 1.4.5 removed this problem.

Then I had a brief diversion which was my fault, caused by an incorrectly entered NExtGen user id. If, when you try to unlock the phone, it reads the IMEI fine but then gives you "Please wait. Message 0", then you either have an incorrect user id/password, or you need to turn off the firewall on your PC. Once I got round this, all worked well.

And NextGen tech support were very responsive, replying to my emails even at 9pm at night in the UK.

AND I now have 10 posts. Oh frabjous day!!

\Damn

Thanks to all on this forum for help too.
    Hello,
    Does a "locked" pre plus require a sim card inserted before it can be set to dev mode via "webos20090606"? If it does, can I use any sim card for that purpose?

Thanks.
    Hello,
    Does a "locked" pre plus require a sim card inserted before it can be set to dev mode via "webos20090606"? If it does, can I use any sim card for that purpose?

Thanks.
    No, but you do need to be past the activation stage, so either have activated your phone, or bypassed the activation using Meta-Doctor or the official Palm tool.
    No, but you do need to be past the activation stage, so either have activated your phone, or bypassed the activation using Meta-Doctor or the official Palm tool.
    Thanks GFN. The phone has already been activated by a friend in the US. I am in Australia and will be receiving it tomorrow. Good to know that I no longer need an AT&T sim card at this state to unlock the phone here in OZ. I'll keep you guys posted
    Just insert your sim and the Enter Network Unlock Code screen will pop up.
    Just insert your sim and the Enter Network Unlock Code screen will pop up.
    Too bad I could not find myself an XP or Vista machine. I know that Win7 isn't officially supported by nextgenserver, but does anybody have a success result using Win7?