Page 37 of 48 FirstFirst ... 27323334353637383940414247 ... LastLast
    thanks tomi666, I've doctored the phone a few times but have been using O2 UK firmware all along with OTA updates. As I've contract with O2 at the moment, just want to make sure I'll still be able to use the O2 sim after unlock.
    Quote Originally Posted by idiotboxxer View Post
    thanks tomi666, I've doctored the phone a few times but have been using O2 UK firmware all along with OTA updates. As I've contract with O2 at the moment, just want to make sure I'll still be able to use the O2 sim after unlock.
    You should be fine, but if I were you I would re-read this thread and scrutinize the affected users' posts, contact Nextgenserver for more info, and then google some more.

Obviously no one can help you make a decision that could perhaps make your phone unusable with an O2 SIM card, for the mere reason that we don't know what exactly causes this. Too many factors come into play for anything you do with the Pre; overclocking, patches, unlocking. Any number of things can, and at some point will, go wrong with the Pre.
    Hi all,
    I have successfully unlocked an O2 Ireland Palm Pre using Nextgenservers Pre unlock, after requesting the "official" unlock code from O2 Ireland and not receiving it over 2 months now.

I can still use the original O2 Ireland sim, as well as other overseas SIM cards (e.g. Germany "BILDmobil" SIM), works all fine.

There were no issues with the Nextgenservers unlocking procedure itself, it all worked fine, the instructions are clear enough. However, I noticed a huge battery drain after the unlocking process was finished - after 2 weeks I noticed that I did not re-enable the "normal" USB mode, and was still in the Qualcomm diag mode (which was part of the unlock procedure) - by the looks this has caused a huge battery drain (talking about no activity on the phone, and battery was empty after 6-7hrs). After resetting to the original USB mode, the battery had its old battery life back (1 day +). So make sure you follow the instructions to the letter
    Quote Originally Posted by aleras View Post
    Hi all,
    I have successfully unlocked an O2 Ireland Palm Pre using Nextgenservers Pre unlock, after requesting the "official" unlock code from O2 Ireland and not receiving it over 2 months now.

I can still use the original O2 Ireland sim, as well as other overseas SIM cards (e.g. Germany "BILDmobil" SIM), works all fine.

There were no issues with the Nextgenservers unlocking procedure itself, it all worked fine, the instructions are clear enough. However, I noticed a huge battery drain after the unlocking process was finished - after 2 weeks I noticed that I did not re-enable the "normal" USB mode, and was still in the Qualcomm diag mode (which was part of the unlock procedure) - by the looks this has caused a huge battery drain (talking about no activity on the phone, and battery was empty after 6-7hrs). After resetting to the original USB mode, the battery had its old battery life back (1 day +). So make sure you follow the instructions to the letter
    Excellent point. Happened to me once as well, I must confess
    Quote Originally Posted by aleras View Post
    Hi all,

Great info, and thanks for clarifying it works with an O2 sim after the unlock.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Great to know! I am buying an AT&T locked Pre Plus tomorrow and will be going through the unlock procedure to get it on T-Mobile. Wish me luck! I'll let you know how it goes

Also, I'm curious as to if you can get past the welcome/setup screen without ever activating the phone on its original locked carrier? I'll need to get into developer mode and am worried about this part. I'm prepared to ask the guy who's selling the phone to pop his AT&T SIM in just long enough for me to turn on developer mode, but was still curious.
    Last edited by aerojb; 06/12/2010 at 01:04 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by aerojb View Post
    I'm prepared to ask the guy who's selling the phone to pop his AT&T SIM in just long enough for me to turn on developer mode, but was still curious.
    Yes, that would be a good idea and the fastest route.
    There's a new unlock client version coming out today by the way (v2.0).
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi666 View Post
    UPDATE:
    The blank codes issue (Corporate code 0>0>037) is an issue which makes it currently impossible for some devices to be unlocked. JicTechnology will be working on it next week, and expects this to be a quick fix.
    V20 is now ready and available for download, now reading codes perfectly on PALM Pre Plus from SFR.

Please uninstall old client, and download new from the same link.

Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by aerojb View Post
    Great to know! I am buying an AT&T locked Pre Plus tomorrow and will be going through the unlock procedure to get it on T-Mobile. Wish me luck! I'll let you know how it goes

Also, I'm curious as to if you can get past the welcome/setup screen without ever activating the phone on its original locked carrier? I'll need to get into developer mode and am worried about this part. I'm prepared to ask the guy who's selling the phone to pop his AT&T SIM in just long enough for me to turn on developer mode, but was still curious.
    Find a friend with an AT&T service to activate. What these guys don't tell you is that an activated phone is required for this unlock and you'll get no support from them trying to bypass activation (other than a link to the 1.4.1 firmware which was helpful). You can use webOS doctor to flash an older 1.4.1 OS, unlock then flash back to 1.4.2 but you're better off activating with a friends AT&T card so that you set up your profile properly and have access to the full app catalog.

I unlocked one phone this way, and while I did finally get it to work I'm doing my 2nd a different and free way.
    Quote Originally Posted by xandermac View Post
    What these guys don't tell you is that an activated phone is required for this unlock and you'll get no support from them trying to bypass activation
    That's a bit beyond the scope of service don't you think? Or would you expect a free course "How to meta-doctor" for that fee?
    No, didnt think so either.

You can bypass activation with a special Palm developer tool, available for download. Takes as long as two reboots.
    Then you unlock the phone, and reset it to go through the activation/profile creation process.

For users in unofficial countries it's definitely a good idea to have the phone activated the first time in the country of origin.
    Will my pre work on 3-UK after unlocking it through the Nextgenservers?
    Quote Originally Posted by bawezy View Post
    Will my pre work on 3-UK after unlocking it through the Nextgenservers?
    If you're using it on O2 without problems, there's no reason why it shouldn't.
    Unlocked means unlocked for use on any network.
    If you're using it on O2 without problems, there's no reason why it shouldn't.
    Unlocked means unlocked for use on any network.
    3 is usually the network that has problems working on other phones so I just needed someone to clarify. Oh well, I'll try it out anyway, thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by bawezy View Post
    3 is usually the network that has problems working on other phones so I just needed someone to clarify. Oh well, I'll try it out anyway, thanks.
    Well, the phone will be unlocked. Whether it will have the correct settings for 3G and MMS is another question.
    You could check this thread: http://forums.precentral.net/gsm-pre...-networks.html
    That's a bit beyond the scope of service don't you think? Or would you expect a free course "How to meta-doctor" for that fee?

You can bypass activation with a special Palm developer tool, available for download. Takes as long as two reboots.
    Then you unlock the phone, and reset it to go through the activation/profile creation process.

For users in unofficial countries it's definitely a good idea to have the phone activated the first time in the country of origin.
    I would expect the page the sells the unlock to make it perfectly clear the the phone should be activated, which they DO NOT! Thats pretty deceptive if you ask me. Go take a look at their system requirements, nowhere does it say "activated palm pre", you only find this out after the sale.

The developer tool you're talking about is the one that only came to light yesterday I assume? That wasn't much help last week now was itů

Also, remember that if you bypass activation you will not have access to the full app catalog, even Facebook is unavailable.

Quote Originally Posted by palm website
    If you wish to activate a device that you've been using as an unactivated development device, simply re-flash it with the latest webOS Doctor and contact the carrier to request activation.
    The developer tools website states that the phone will be in an unactivated state? Will the unlock client still work after using the developer tool if the tool leaves the pre in an unactivated state? I thought the phone had to be activated for the unlock to work?
    I would expect the page the sells the unlock to make it perfectly clear the the phone should be activated, which they DO NOT! Thats pretty deceptive if you ask me. Go take a look at their system requirements, nowhere does it say "activated palm pre", you only find this out after the sale.

The developer tool you're talking about is the one that only came to light yesterday I assume? That wasn't much help last week now was it…

Also, remember that if you bypass activation you will not have access to the full app catalog, even Facebook is unavailable.
    No, that tool's been around for some time now.
    You bypass activation to unlock the phone. Then you pop in your SIM, reset the phone, and go through the whole activation process.

If you think the instructions/requirements are unclear, raise a ticket with nextgen and advise them to add this to the info. Although technically it's not true, as you don't need to activate your phone. You just need to get past the first use screen, something thousands of users have been capable of doing without the need to call any third party which provides an unlock solution "deceptive".

EDIT:
    Here's an example of a post mentioning it dating back to May 6th.
    It's the easiest thing to do before you unlock. As said before, after the unlock you just reset the phone and use the data off your SIM to activate and set up a profile.

lol, really?
    Last edited by tomi666; 06/14/2010 at 02:05 AM.
    you're assuming that everyone who unlocks a pre is going to be a user of this forum. Unfortunately the majority will be users that pick up the phone, google unlock, head to nestgen, read the system requirements, buy the unlock and get the instructions delivered only to find out that the phone has to be activated already and no support to bypass that. If you think that is acceptable I guess that's ok.

and yes, if you bypass activation and then unlock the phone on an unsupported carrier you lose access to the full app catalog, which happened to my 1st pre and was confirmed with palm. Unless of course you happen to have insight otherwise?

No, that tool's been around for some time now.
    You bypass activation to unlock the phone. Then you pop in your SIM, reset the phone, and go through the whole activation process.

If you think the instructions/requirements are unclear, raise a ticket with nextgen and advise them to add this to the info. Although technically it's not true, as you don't need to activate your phone. You just need to get past the first use screen, something thousands of users have been capable of doing without the need to call any third party which provides an unlock solution "deceptive".

EDIT:
    Here's an example of a post mentioning it dating back to May 6th.
    It's the easiest thing to do before you unlock. As said before, after the unlock you just reset the phone and use the data off your SIM to activate and set up a profile.

lol, really?
    and yes, if you bypass activation and then unlock the phone on an unsupported carrier you lose access to the full app catalog, which happened to my 1st pre and was confirmed with palm. Unless of course you happen to have insight otherwise?
    For the fourth (?) time, after unlocking the device you reset it and go through the activation and profile creation screen. And yes, the first ever activation country determines your entitlement to a specific AppCat, so always be careful where you buy the darn thing and who had it first. Damn, said it so many times I practically invented that info.

Oh before I forget; I do think you have a point! No disrespect intended. Just tell nextgenserver their info is incomplete.
    Last edited by tomi666; 06/14/2010 at 10:36 AM.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Excellent tool, I've unlocked my O2 Pre Plus and now working on T-Mobile. Had to disable the firewall and virus scan program on my computer to get it to work but once that was done it worked like a dream!