Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi666 View Post
    Weird 5h!t !
    i came up with something that seems to work for other people, or at least partially, but not for me.
    Don't you just hate it when that happens?
    Yeah, I really want to support webOS as a developer, but I really don't want to release an app without accessing the paid catalogue my self :-(
    If palm don't get more global with paid apps soon, I will develop for some other platform. Too sad because I really like webOS.
    I am already in contact with Palm since the I first bought this phone, 'cause since then things are not really working properly or in the expected way. So I say hi to them mostly every week...but not always I have good news back.

At least after all this contacting them now my carrier is finally in the official database on the phone, and I know why Yahoo doesn't sync the way it should...maybe after a bit more noise about the catalog something will move also from that perspective.

However, to be positive, I also tried a new doctoring of the phone, activating a new profile via wi-fi without clicking on the location sharing option, just to be bit surer. I left german language as it is supposed to be. But nothing has changed, the catalog still shows me in the end the 423apps i was seeing before this trial.

To be positive I gave it a shot, to see if the all thing may be independent of rebelsim or on official carrier activation. It seems though I also had no success, as u had none with a rebelsim.

Would be really good if all the unofficial countries user complain to Palm...whever they send a letter, or email, or call, or chat...but do we all do that? not so sure...
    I created a new account using Rebelsim, and as that didn't work I just did a Full erase as Torpedo above asked/suggested. Guess what my Pre asked me? If I wanted to continue while roaming... Couldn't continue because there's no data on tmob, and the damn thing wouldn't accept manual apn settings.
    Tried a full reset with denying location services as well, new profile (now I've got three! whoopee!) - still no apps. I saw the "Einstellungen" menu item tho' for a short while, before I accepted AppCatalog tems and conditions.

I do have Vodafone data without any further hacks - if you're in the neighbourhood we could try using my SIM?
    Hey, we should have a Dutch Prepalooza with lots of beer!
    My wife asked me other day if we had special Pre days where all the Pre geeks meet and exchange tips.
    I'm near Utrecht by the way.

I have another Pre coming in this week (with paid apps ), and a hi sim as well. I'm tired of t-mobile s*ck*ss coverage.
    Those kind of days I had with HP calculators once... Amsterdam, and was already thinking about going to another provider, but I'm not yet convinced any of them will give me apps...
    I created a new account using Rebelsim, and as that didn't work I just did a Full erase as Torpedo above asked/suggested. Guess what my Pre asked me? If I wanted to continue while roaming... Couldn't continue because there's no data on tmob, and the damn thing wouldn't accept manual apn settings.
    Guess what? I complained with Palm since two months to get my carrier in their database, since it wasn't there. And guess what? with 1.4.1 they put it. Now i finally have data from the start, no need to meta-doctor or whatever else.
    For the rest, remaining on topic, i also did the full-erase before giving the all thing a try even though without rebelsim, but that was not enough as I said...

now, from Palm apparently they say that devs present them some legal problems for selling apps in other unofficial countries, so, the support told me, even though Palm is encouraging devs to open their apps to other countries, this is probably gonna need some more time.

as u can see, we are back to the same problem as always...is it Palm preventing customers outside official countries to have a full experience of the app catalog, or is it devs?
    Hmmm...mumble mumble...
    Quote Originally Posted by memfel View Post
    now, from Palm apparently they say that devs present them some legal problems for selling apps in other unofficial countries, so, the support told me, even though Palm is encouraging devs to open their apps to other countries, this is probably gonna need some more time.

as u can see, we are back to the same problem as always...is it Palm preventing customers outside official countries to have a full experience of the app catalog, or is it devs?
    Hmmm...mumble mumble...
    Well, if Palm had said from the beginning that they would distribute the apps in the app catalogue worldwide, I don't think there would be any legal problem with devs. And I don't think there are many that would oppose to worldwide distribution.

So I'm leaning towards it being mostly Palms fault.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Palm Europe ltd.
    59-60 Thames Street.
    Windsor
    Berks
    Sl4 1TX
    United Kingdom

*Nastily considers using this address to set up his virtual uk credit card*
    Well, I did a full wipe and doctored with 1.4.0. For some reasons my international settings stayed the same (US) instead of the german doctor i used. So re-doctored with an un-edited doctor of 1.4.1. I could add the apn settings in the setup an make a German profile. I now have German language on a German Pre with a german Profile but no paid apps and still 425 free apps. I used my Dutch T-mobile sim by the way. I'll try again when my Rebel Sim Card arrives.

Does anybody have access to the old doctors by the way?
    Last edited by Torpedojager; 04/08/2010 at 01:19 AM.
    I was told by Palm support level 3 that it's correct I have no access to apps cause devs are still not open to it, due to some legal constraints they apparently may face, or are scared to face.
    However, I wrote back that it sounds then very strange that someone may have access to the paid apps even in unofficial countries, even if this someone is just 1-2 persons it wouldn't be possible at all if it was only due to devs....

@torpedojager I also had the same behavior, doctoring with german but language and settings on phone remained english uk at the first try, even if before i did a full erase on phone. At the second try all went as supposed and i got german. Weird.
    I was told by Palm Support I should have access to the paid apps.

I advise everyone to start chatting with Palm Support and to have their case escalated:
    Palm Support : Palm Pre O2 - Support Services

Be polite, but don't take no for an answer. If the first chat doesn't pay off the way you planned, try again. And again.
    The value of your advice is somewhat dependent on the outcome:

"I was told by Palm Support I should have access to the paid apps."

So, did you get the access? Are you going to get it?
    They escalated my case yesterday. I don't expect Palm to solve this overnight.
    They don't have a Paid App switch with my name on it (unfortunately).

My advice has no inherent value. Either you contact them and they know something's wrong with your S/N or you don't. I agree with memfel's credo that if no one contacts them, they won't feel inclined to change anything on their side.
    Thanx for telling your result. Now I know that escalation is the minimal result I should be going for.

I'll make sure you won't be the only one getting to that level
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Do a nike...
    what's that mean?
    [twitter]_____[blog]______[im]__
    For now: Nexus One | iPad 2
    When avail. in Aus: Pre3 16GB | Touchpad 16GB

This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
    Same for me. Entropay apparently does not provide a billing address. They advise you to use your own. When I did, Palm suspects that it is a fraudulent card.

So, people, DO NOT use Entropay.
    Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Treo 180 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> Palm Pre (busted) -> iPhone4 (awesome) + iPad
    I would love to add something, but still can't seem to access chat!
    I'll have a go at the chat this weekend, or monday at it's latest.

I'll probably use a different approach than tomi666 though.
    I can add what support service told me:
    "The 1.4.1 webOS update enables e-commerce for International App Catalog users on supported countries only."

I underlined in my reply that it's getting again a bunch of contrasting info coming out from Palm support and that evidence on the ground is also mixed, since some users have access to full catalog even if in unofficial countries.
    Let's see what will be the answer back...
    Btw, to my experience, getting escalated is good, but keeping them under pressure is better.
    Yes, but I got escalated!!!
    I think escalated in this context means, they'd gladly push you down a flight of "stairs".
    Had my first chat with German support (in German, of course). They emphasized that once activation was done in a non-official country, there's no way at this moment you're going top get the paid apps.

When I stated that this just menas there's a setting somewhere, and that it should be technically possible to change such a setting, he had to check for a minute..

After which he stated that it's a known problem for Palm, and that Palm is working on a solution (but no more information concerning that is available).

That last statement could just be a cop out, but since there's no way indication concerning truth or falsehood of that last statement, I stopped right there.
    Quote Originally Posted by joebel View Post
    Had my first chat with German support (in German, of course). They emphasized that once activation was done in a non-official country, there's no way at this moment you're going top get the paid apps.

When I stated that this just menas there's a setting somewhere, and that it should be technically possible to change such a setting, he had to check for a minute..

After which he stated that it's a known problem for Palm, and that Palm is working on a solution (but no more information concerning that is available).

That last statement could just be a cop out, but since there's no way indication concerning truth or falsehood of that last statement, I stopped right there.
    Strangely a similar behaviour was for some of us happening also with the free apps at some point. since the phones were activated in unofficial countries something in a webos update was preventing the phone to access properly the catalog.
    Now, if we put together what they told u and what they wrote me, it seems that again something in webos is not properly set to allow users to get access to paid apps.
    I recall also that not all non official country users had the problem with the free apps, for some unclear reason...so maybe this is why also in this case some people can see also paid apps. the point is probably also Palm is not completely aware of how the trick works...weird but possible?

Let's see what they'll tell tomi666.
    and after one runs that...what happens?eheh
    19:31 palmsupport: Yes, and I see the results of the escalation was to run the Web OS doctor.

Whooooohoooaaahahhhhhhhhhh
    Grats!!! do you have paid apps or what and how?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast