Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    now we just need a way to PAY for the apps...!
    Personally I don't think it's worth the trouble for me to doctor my Pre just to test it out and only to find my credit cards can't be used even if I can access the App Catalog.
    I have the medical apps I need and they're either free or self-written. I have "grabbed" the freeware I need when the direct IPK http downloads were available.
    My "paid apps" which I use regularly are Quick Contacts, Classic and MyTether which do not need the Paid App Catalog in order to purchase (in fact I don't know why more authors don't use the QuickContacts model of freeware release and paid registration converts it to a full app). Other Preware/Freeware which I have found cool or useful (eg ClassicNotes, pReader) I have donated towards the authors' cause to support them.
    So I can wait for the paid app catalog to come along when it officially does. Don't really play those games!
    Last edited by palmdoc2005; 04/06/2010 at 04:02 AM.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi666 View Post
    Can you confirm the procedure works as stated, or do we need amends in your opinion?
    I'm curious:
    a. did you use a rebelsim?
    b. did you downgrade the modemfirmware to 1.3.5.2?
    a) i used a black sim(which is a cheaper copy)
    b) had to as i got sos only
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    What if you read the instructions?
    No one mentions you need a German SIM.
    What if I feel very stupid right now

Well anyways, I'll try it and let you guys know, but could someone refer me to any link that shows how to flash a Pre?

Thanx
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Ohh well, better than Keeping it there, lying on the corner all by itself -.-

I thought of giving it away, but if there is a chance that I might make it *better*, then i dont care hurting it

plus, u never learn until u break. or something like this

i'm currently using my Blackberry, u can say I Gave up on my Pre
    I'm following this thread vividly hoping a solid solution will come up. There is one thing I have not read up till now. Did anybody already try a "Full Erase" before starting with the Doctor and new profiles? Might be a dumb question, but it's something I'm willing to try if it hasn't been done before.
    I'm guessing you're trying to say it was a dumb question in your own special way?
    I spent about 2 hours on chat with a German Palm support person and am now a happy user of the paid App Catalog. :-D

Just to mention it now, I am in Germany, using a second hand, German O2 Pre. When I set up the device I made the mistake of using English (UK) as my language, which seemed to have made it all confused and mixed up, not letting me access half the App catalog. I could only see free apps and was constantly told my OS could not run paid games, although being on 1.4.1. I did however have the option of adding my credit card details.

I don't know if this has anything to do with the fact that it's a second hand device and someone else had activated it correctly for me, but here's what I was told to do.

1. Erase all apps & data and back up USB onto computer
    2. Take out battery
    3. Connect to USB (this should cause a question mark to pop up on the screen)
    4. Hold volume up button pressed until USB symbol appears on screen
    5. Run the latest WebOS doctor (downloaded straight from Palm website via SN)
    6. Create new profile using language that is compatible with supported country (In my case that was German)

Also, I used a Fonic SIM card, which is a daughter company of O2 and uses their network. Mhm, that's all I can think of. Like I said, it might just be luck that the person who owned the Pre before me set it up correctly, but either way, I have a working App shop now and before I didn't. :-)
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Good news! My catalog is closing in on 1000 apps. I think it'll close to the US number soon..
    I tried bruba's method, but with no succes
    My Pre is O2 UK, locked and I used Rebel Sim
    I got 140 free apps before, and now I got 420+ free apps in the catalog. Better than before but no paid apps yet. I got my account menu (as I had before on 1.4.1 also, but still disabled
    Quote Originally Posted by runebune View Post
    I tried bruba's method, but with no succes
    My Pre is O2 UK, locked and I used Rebel Sim
    I got 140 free apps before, and now I got 420+ free apps in the catalog. Better than before but no paid apps yet. I got my account menu (as I had before on 1.4.1 also, but still disabled
    when frist setting up a new profile it asks you to turn on location services. Its part of the terms and coditions page . You need to untick the box so it doesn't turn to find your location .if you didn't do this maybe that's why no paid apps for u
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    bennish, you managed to create a wirecard account? What are your country payment options?
    wirecard isn't available in australia. i created an entropay card, and palm says it's 'fraudulent'.

yeah.
    Quote Originally Posted by bennish View Post
    wirecard isn't available in australia. i created an entropay card, and palm says it's 'fraudulent'.

yeah.
    Palm uses a global third-party payment processing provider (you can see this in the mojo source code). It checks address and country information against a list of countries that Palm provides based on your profile. So it's likely that a card with a billing address in Australia (or a card without an associated billing address) will never work.

I use a Simon Malls - Shopping Malls, Mall Stores, Gift Cards giftaccount for buying stuff from the US app catalog. I'm looking for an equivalent in Europe.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Palm uses a global third-party payment processing provider (you can see this in the mojo source code). It checks address and country information against a list of countries that Palm provides based on your profile. So it's likely that a card with a billing address in Australia (or a card without an associated billing address) will never work.

I use a Simon Malls - Shopping Malls, Mall Stores, Gift Cards giftaccount for buying stuff from the US app catalog. I'm looking for an equivalent in Europe.

-- Rod
    Rod

the entropay card is a uk card. do you mean the fact that entropay has my real address is causing the problem? i wouldn't think that information would even be associated with the virtual card, as it's just between me and them isn't it?

it's saying 'fraudulent', not the same error it gives for my aussie card.

anyway... maybe i could try fudging a uk address with entropay.

I REALLY look forward to seeing how you do, Rod. Whatever your solution, I'll go for. The only alternative I can think of now, is getting a euro-based precentral member to get a low-limit low-risk credit card, communicate (SECURELY mind you) the information with us, and allow us to pay him/her via paypal or something.

is that viable? i'd be willing to pay a little extra per app for the proxy's trouble.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    -- Rod
    also, by the way - if the address causes problems, how come your simon malls one works? I'm guessing you provided them with an aussie address?
    Quote Originally Posted by bennish View Post
    also, by the way - if the address causes problems, how come your simon malls one works? I'm guessing you provided them with an aussie address?
    No, a valid US address.

One feature of the simon malls card is that the recipient can put in a new address when the card is received, so the recipient doesn't need to know any private information from the person who buys the card in the first place. But you do need a US address.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    I don't get a thing here guys. I had at the beginning the problem of no app catalog at all and Palm told me it was due to having activated the phone outside an official network carrier.
    However, finally they solved this problem with 1.3.5.2 and I got to today 420apps all free.
    Now, when I saw no apps at all, Palm support told me just to re-activate a new profile on a supported network and after that go back to my normal carrier. That would have solved, to them, my problems with the catalog. So maybe this is just what is needed also for this paid app catalog problem at hand now.

Has anyone tried this maybe simplier solution so far?
    Runebune; from another thread:

Was this on 1.4.0?
    Yes that was on 1.4.0
    after 6MB update to 1.4.1 only 140 apps
    now after the 12MB download 420+ apps
    The first time your device was activated was in?
    - UK
    - Denmark
    - Other
    - Don't know
    Denmark
    2 doesn't seem to be a relevant number of people to say that the solution works either for others...it's a pity though...
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast