Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So what do you guys think about this?

"Verizon has a solution to Palm’s (PALM) daunting inventory problems: Dramatic price cuts on the company’s webOS smartphones.

The carrier is now selling the Pre Plus, which debuted on its network in late January at $149.99, for $49.99. And the company has dropped the price of the Pixi Plus to $29.99 from $99.99.

Substantial discounts, even more so because Verizon (VZ) is offering a buy one/get one free deal for both devices. And, on top of that, the carrier is now offering its Mobile Hotspot service, which transforms the smartphones into Mi-Fi-style hotspots for free.

Inventory purge, anyone?"

Verizon Cuts Price of Palm Pre Plus, Pixi Plus | John Paczkowski | Digital Daily | AllThingsD

I think the more pre devices that we can get into consumers' hands, the better. Hopefully that will mean more webOS fans and more people to pass on our love for the device and OS. More consumers means more app's. More app's means more consumers. Hopefully this is the start of a new trend. Maybe Verizon is clearing out old pre inventory in anticipation of the launch of a new pre device this year? What do you guys think?
    Purging for the C40 I hope
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Purging for the C40 I hope
    I would hope that is the case, but I have a feeling they are dumping inventory since they are..

A) no longer going to promote the webOS platform (as of April 1st)
    B) focus more on Droid
    C) I would assume also pimp the cheap dumbphones to get new accounts
    I'm thinking more like trying to get more people to be locked in to 2 years, since they are losing exclusivity.

If they want to purge stock, why not drop the no contract price as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    I'm thinking more like trying to get more people to be locked in to 2 years, since they are losing exclusivity.

If they want to purge stock, why not drop the no contract price as well?
    This makes sense.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by fastamx79 View Post
    just want to know if this is true? source?
    iPhone 1gen august 2007- may 2010
    Repaired: headphone jack twice. Buttons and back cover once. Screen has a crack.

Palm Pre Plus may 2010-now

LOVE IT
    Quote Originally Posted by cursiv View Post
    just want to know if this is true? source?
    pretty sure no such source exists.
    I don't think Verizon is too fired up to carry the next gen of a platform they had to mark down 66 percent just 60 days after they exclusively launched it.

This is a fire sale, plain and simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by fastamx79 View Post
    I would hope that is the case, but I have a feeling they are dumping inventory since they are..

Irresponsible rumor unless you have a source to back it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I don't think Verizon is too fired up to carry the next gen of a platform they had to mark down 66 percent just 60 days after they exclusively launched it.

Say that after the Pre legitimately beats the vile Droid in an officially official internet poll!
    Who eats the cost of returned hardware? Does Verizon absorb taht or do they pass it on to Palm?

I can imagine that there have been enough replacement for hardware issues that it must be costing something.

The other tihng is cost. if Verizon is subsidizing the Pre+ cost, then it could also be that it is a phone that motivates contract renewals, whereas the Droid and Blackberry buyers aren't as price-sensitive.

And they also get the benefit of bringign in buyers for a $49 BOGO and then up-selling them to MotoFroid...
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Verizon also reduced the WIFI Hotspot on the Pre and Pixi Plus to $0. I think that they still want to promote the Palm phones. The free tethering may be the most attractive feature to date -- especially if you are planning on getting a WIFI iPAD.
    Pilot Pro -> Pilot Vx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> Pre -> Pixi Plus -> Pre2 + TouchPad -> BB 9930 -> Pre3+ Playbook
    Verizon -> Cingular -> ATT -> Sprint -> Verizon -> ATT
    Quote Originally Posted by miata View Post
    Verizon also reduced the WIFI Hotspot on the Pre and Pixi Plus to $0. I think that they still want to promote the Palm phones. The free tethering may be the most attractive feature to date -- especially if you are planning on getting a WIFI iPAD.
    Miata, if you add the phone in my avatar and remove the Pix in your signature, you have almost exactly the same Palm history.

I also had a Cento... LOL
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Miata, if you add the phone in my avatar and remove the Pix in your signature, you have almost exactly the same Palm history.

I also had a Cento... LOL
    I hope we both will be adding Palm devices to our list for many years to come.
    Pilot Pro -> Pilot Vx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> Pre -> Pixi Plus -> Pre2 + TouchPad -> BB 9930 -> Pre3+ Playbook
    Verizon -> Cingular -> ATT -> Sprint -> Verizon -> ATT
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiddlekins View Post
    Irresponsible rumor unless you have a source to back it up.
    Verizon To Stop Promoting Palm Pre — Report : Bad News Keeps Coming for Struggling Device-Maker
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    It's too early to say they're purging the webos devices yet. Keep in mind subsidizing an extra $100 off the phone price isn't going to hurt them that badly, considering they're making big bucks off the contract that goes with the phone (or the ETF if you dump the contract).
    The report is a rumor, no official quotes in the article from a Verizon spokesperson.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post

Why does Verizon care? Wouldn't the cut be passed on to Palm? How much do carriers make from phone sales vs. services?
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    Im a sprint customer, but here in the tri state area Verizon is ALWAYS offering a two for one type of deal, they just did it with android, so does that mean they are "purging" androids?
    and they've done it with blackberries for a long time...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast