1.    #1  
    Hi all.

So I decided to stop waiting for AT&T to get it's ***** together and switched over to Sprint for a regular Pre (first-time Pre owner, long-time Precentral lurker). I love it so far but here's the thing: the webOS version number is 1.2.1! That's pretty old, right? I'm going to update it, yeah, but I'm worried that it'll cause a lot of instability (nothing about 1.4 sounds like it was satisfying for people).

Battery life is terrible right now, so I'm assuming that it will improve a LOT once I update? Are there any pros to staying with such an old version? Can I even stay there-- the device said it would install the latest update next time I charge the phone...

Any opinions/advice would be great.

Thanks.
    Last edited by glassadam; 04/02/2010 at 02:13 PM.
    THIS IS HOW WE HANDLE BUSINESS
    You'll be fine. Most of the negative stuff you read about 1.4 is not that prevalent.

Every single patch there is a bunch of negative posts by a few isolated incidents while the rest of us are happy.

And no, it's not really possible not to upgrade, unless you do some hacking.

You made a wise decision. Sprint is better all around and will save you money. You will love your Pre!

After you update, install the 800mhz patch and homebrew.
    welcome to the darkside!!! I have a verizon pre plus so i have not seen and experienced the 1.4.1 update....But from what I have read on this forum it fixed alot of the bugs 1.4 had. Go to the icon "update" and with sprint you should be getting 1.4.1.1
    Oh holy crap, yeah. Upgrade.

1.4.x is miles better than 1.2.1 was.
    • Battery is better - although it usually takes a couple of days after an upgrade before WebOS starts using the battery more efficiently. I don't have *any* idea why this is. Had I not seen it several times over the last 9 mos, I woudln't have believed it either.
    • You have access to 3D games, which you don't under 1.2.x

And I'm one of the people who typically complain about the Pre. I don't think it's anywhere near worthy the praise that is spouted on these forums. But IMHO 1.4.x is absolutely better than 1.2.x. Upgrade. Really.
    Twitter: dullgeek
  5.    #5  
    Oh man you're absolutely right about saving money-- I get a sweet corporate discount and now my everything data plan is only $56! You really can't beat that on any other carrier. And yeah, I plan on doing some patching and theming. Don't know about overclocking yet... I came from a dumbphone so this thing already seems pretty fast to me!
    THIS IS HOW WE HANDLE BUSINESS
    I have a Pre from Sprint. It is not doctored up with Preware and/or Patches. Just stock with a bunch of free APPs (I'm cheap). I updated to 1.4.1.1 yesterday and it has made my phone even better.

Each update has made it better for me.
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glassadam View Post
    Hi all.

So I decided to stop waiting for AT&T to get it's ***** together and switched over to Sprint for a regular Pre (first-time Pre owner, long-time Precentral lurker). I love it so far but here's the thing: the webOS version number is 1.2.1! That's pretty old, right? I'm going to update it, yeah, but I'm worried that it'll cause a lot of instability (nothing about 1.4 sounds like it was satisfying for people).

Battery life is terrible right now, so I'm assuming that it will improve a LOT once I update? Are there any pros to staying with such an old version? Can I even stay there-- the device said it would install the latest update next time I charge the phone...

Thanks.
    WARNING:

I just got a fresh new Pre from Best Buy and it had 1.21. When I did the upgrade to 1.4, it went pretty smooth except for some quirky things. Example, I couldn't preview any ringtones before selecting them.

So, as a fresh new Sprint user, I recommend this:

Get your phone activated and all your phone numbers put on it. Create a Palm Profile (I recommend using a gmail account. So much easier)

As soon as you sign in, do a backup of your contacts. But also, I HIGHLY recommend you use GOogle Contacts and put all your contacts there. Believe me, it's great to have.

Once you got all this done, make your Gmail acct (if you have one) your primary acct.

DL the new WebOS Doctor for 1.4.1.1. Just came out last night I think and I did it myself.

Sign back in and watch Google Contacts sync your contacts back in.

Honestly, it's great to have a fresh OS. I was up and running like new in about an hour. Worth it.

Get me on twitter if you got any questions: twitter.com/bnceo
    yea bro, take the update dont deprive yourself... although it'll take the update on it's own anyway sooner or later.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Welcome to Sprint and the wonderful world of webOS!

I don't use patches or homebrew, but I think the Pre has the best OS around. I've owned an iPhone 3G.

Be sure to grab a screen protector -- the screen is plastic and WILL scratch if you drop it.

Get Tweed installed and start tweeting your love for webOS!
    Come on, take a walk on the wild side Really though, 1.4.1 has a lot of great things, Video recording is one great feature right off the top of my head, plus vast improvements in speed and battery life.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Oh yeah, regarding the question at hand: 1.4.1.1 is the best thing since 1.0. The speed improvements are stellar, as well as video-recording's fun. I've found it rock-solid stable.
    twitter: @esoneill
    1.4 was very satisfying to me. I'm anxious to get 1.4.1 as it appears to have fixed some important things.

Welcome to the Pre ownership family.

Be sure you head over to laptopmag.com and vote for Pre vs the evil MotoDroid.

Quote Originally Posted by glassadam View Post
    Hi all.

Thanks.
    Yeah go ahead take the plunge! The water is fine

You may notice some irratic battery drain for a day or two but then it will improve. This happens to some people after every update.

Welcome to webOS & Enjoy your new Pre! Good tips here>>>

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...e-welcome.html
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Dude you just made the best decision of your life, this is the greatest machine ever, well maybe not the machine but the OS makes an ok machine the most amazing peace of technology i have ever own. I have learn some much about phones just because of my pre at the begining all i wanted to do was to put the Virtual Key Board on it .. MAN! i came into this forums an a HUGEE DOOR into another world was open for me, i had phones with WM on them because i toght it was the ONLY AND ALL MIGTHY OS pfffffffffffff!!!!!!!! bs!! it is so closed and mmmm how u say .... impersonal thing that u can find. WebOs is pretty, looks awsome, u can coustumize everything, it teach u stuff or makes u research and learn, my phone is not "my phone" anymore, since i got the Palm Pre it is the window to a whole world of possibilities.

THANK'S PALM, THANK'S PRECENTRAL COMMUNITY even to all those that don't do nothing else but cry and talk BULL **** about minor flows on the phone and when PALM comes and correct them or add stuff don't even use what they were crying about just dig into their phones to see what else wrong they can find to come here and keep wiping about it.

Sorry about my spelling as u can tell english is not my primary language but i had to say what i just said.

Carlos.
    I got a replacement Pre from Sprint that was still version 1.1.0

I had hell updating it to 1.4.0 and after a long discussion with Palm Tech support, the decision was made to DOCTOR the phone to 1.4.0 rather than the over air update.

If you have any problems with the over air update from 1.2, use the doctor to update.