Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have had my Pre Plus for 30 days and yes this would be my last day to return it or exchange it. My user experience has been good, although here are the issues that are possibly holding me back. Also, I was coming from a dumb phone but everyone I know has an Iphone, including my gf, so I did have a lot of time spent on another smart phone.

Issues:

Maps app on Verizon is painfully slow to load up and inconsistent with accuracy (one main app I would like to be solid for my uses) Verizon needs to deal with this asap w t f. (andriod maps is amazing btw)

Double typing?? (on my second Pre and it still does it) Overall typing experience is ok, but could definitely be improved.

Checkerboard on browsing at times (there honestly is none on the 3GS and same processor??)

Call quality is good, but the earphone could be clearer and have more volume headroom for me. It's always at full volume. My Lg had a great clarity on my end.

Still overall buggy moments and lag issues.

some glitchy moments while playing 3D games.

Camera lacking auto focus and could be a little bit better overall. 5mp is probably ideal for a cell phone until the lenses and sensors get better. Until then it wont matter if its 8mp and up. (btw when will someone make a photo app to do simple manipulation of photos??)

More app support for the platform (some apps I really want that are on other platforms)

This phone gets crazy hot at times...

*still think that Palm blew it by not upgrading to a faster processor with the Pre Plus. I really think that if they dropped a 1gz snapdragon it would have made big media waves and also solved a lot of the problems users are having.

What I have really liked:

Card view and gestures. I find myself irritated with how the iphone navigates when I pick it up. pressing the back button on an iphone while browsing is so annoying. Gestures rule...

Multitasking is a key factor. So easy to check something without dumping what you have been working on.

Notifications. I even get text messages while playing games. That is impressive.

Universal search

Free mobile hotspot is a big plus.

Here is the deal. There is not another phone on Verizon that I really like at the moment. Not a fan of the Droid, but curious about the N1. I must say that including the Hotspot app for free the other day is a big plus for me. I was paying $60 a month for a usb card. I would be willing to wait it out with Palm and see if they can address these problems, but most likely that will be on the next device and not the Pre. Palm is definitely a gamble and if they lose the support of Verizon, the app community and or funding its all over. With hardware limitations and all the negative media to scare everyone about Palm that could very well happen. I will say that this site has been awesome and definitely the best source of info for Palm . Must think it over as today is the day.
    Last edited by Peterules; 04/02/2010 at 12:09 PM.
    What has been your experience with GPS?

Let's hope the 1.4.1.x release from Verizon addresses most of your issues.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
  3. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    You are worrying a bit more about PALM folding their business. I have been using the Pre since the launch day. The phone is great. Even if PALM collapses, the phone and OS will live. If you have issues just doctor it.

Regarding Verizon, I say the mobile hotspot is a "Very Good" deal. You don't see such offers from Sprint or ATT anytime soon. I say keep it.
  4. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Regarding the GPS, I noticed issues when you use WiFi. I never noticed issues using GPS on cellular connection.
  5.    #5  
    GPS has been inconsistent and frustrating (so slow). At times it works great and at times its way off. Also, I do have to say that there is a lot of talk about the Verizon 3G network and seriously my gf iphone 3GS google maps app on att is as fast or faster than when I am on WiFi using the maps app on the Pre. I dont get that? Maybe its because of the app??

Verizon needs to seriously add VZ navigator for free.
    keep it!!!
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    You are worrying a bit more about PALM folding their business. I have been using the Pre since the launch day. The phone is great. Even if PALM collapses, the phone and OS will live. If you have issues just doctor it.

Regarding Verizon, I say the mobile hotspot is a "Very Good" deal. You don't see such offers from Sprint or ATT anytime soon. I say keep it.

Its Palm and the community supporting a Palm devise. I think that's a valid concern as a consumer you are making an investment.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    I was in a similar situation as you a week ago. I waited until Day 30, and I decided to go with the Pre Plus on Verizon. Despite the grim news and issues with the phone, I think the Pre Plus has enough potential to stick with it. And it seems like Palm updates the OS almost every other month fixing issues and introducing new features, so the phone can really only get better.

I was coming from an iPhone, and was incredibly happy to finally leave it for the Pre Plus simply because of multi-tasking/background apps, notifications, and the physical keyboard.

I thought about the Droid, but simply hated the form factor. I would have seriously considered the Nexus One, but it's not out yet and it doesn't have a physical keyboard.

So far, I can say that I'm satisfied. There are a lot of features that I wish it had, and hope that it'll get implemented someday. And hey, if the phone doesn't end up fulfilling my needs, I can always change my phone (with subsidized pricing) after a year with a new 2 year contract on Verizon.
    2G iPhone -> BB 8530 -> Pre Plus
    @peterules just apply the 800mhz patch and the phone wont have any lag anymore and it will beat the living hell out of the iphone games are smooth everything runs fast no lag nothing. its just great.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by dante501 View Post
    @peterules just apply the 800mhz patch and the phone wont have any lag anymore and it will beat the living hell out of the iphone games are smooth everything runs fast no lag nothing. its just great.
    Ha, I might have to give that a try. I always wonder how the Iphone 3gs manages to be snappy with the same processor. I feel like Palm is yet to take full advantage of what it actually has?
    I swear...the features they add are great, but its making the phone worse and worse....It is just not capable of performing well with the limited resources....I have gone through 3 Pres already...and they are all twisting, and flimsy. I bought it on launch date, and have it still. It has become part of my daily life, however....

I would buy an Andorid phone had I had a chance to reconsider....it is just too poorly made (the form factor). Also, the app catalog is a joke, minus MAYBE 100 apps...and the search is totally useless...i would prefer to remove it and just add a few more apps to view on one page. It is riddled with what might be considered **** in the 50's...Only the games are nice looking and in any way comparable to Apples...But then it just crashes. Too many cards when no cards are open...really? The plummeting stock is a good indication on how much longer the company will live...just like health in a person. Their only saving grace will be if a better company takes them over and "dissects for parts". It was a good idea, and a nice last breathe.....

IF THERE IS STILL NOT FLASH BY THE LAUNCH OF EVO....Im dumpin Palm for good....this was my third and last chance....

P.S. If anyone wants some good times, read through the comments in the apps catalog sometime and see what people really think of them....*HIGH five to anyone that can find an app that is useful that DOESN'T mention it freezing, not working, or crashing in the comments. This doesn't include the apps that have the developer posing as a user commenting on their own product.

/End Rant
    try the 800mhz patch, after that u WILL keep it. enjoy your new pre...
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanissick View Post
    I swear...the features they add are great, but its making the phone worse and worse....It is just not capable of performing well with the limited resources....I have gone through 3 Pres already...and they are all twisting, and flimsy. I bought it on launch date, and have it still. It has become part of my daily life, however....

I would buy an Andorid phone had I had a chance to reconsider....it is just too poorly made (the form factor). Also, the app catalog is a joke, minus MAYBE 100 apps...and the search is totally useless...i would prefer to remove it and just add a few more apps to view on one page. It is riddled with what might be considered **** in the 50's...Only the games are nice looking and in any way comparable to Apples...But then it just crashes. Too many cards when no cards are open...really? The plummeting stock is a good indication on how much longer the company will live...just like health in a person. Their only saving grace will be if a better company takes them over and "dissects for parts". It was a good idea, and a nice last breathe.....

IF THERE IS STILL NOT FLASH BY THE LAUNCH OF EVO....Im dumpin Palm for good....this was my third and last chance....

P.S. If anyone wants some good times, read through the comments in the apps catalog sometime and see what people really think of them....*HIGH five to anyone that can find an app that is useful that DOESN'T mention it freezing, not working, or crashing in the comments. This doesn't include the apps that have the developer posing as a user commenting on their own product.

/End Rant
    Yet to be an Android phone I have liked. Then again, I haven't been able to see or use a N1. Im curious about the Desire and the Incredible as well. Still though I would miss aspects of WebOS for sure if I let it go!
    Palm has a unique thing going on and honestly they probably have the best OS out there imho.
    keep it for the mifi alone.. add the 800 patch... make sure you have some touchstones as well... then simple enjoy...
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    I had the same decision to make about a month ago. I was still undecided on day 29, and picked up a friends Droid. I found it way too heavy/bulky. The Pre is light and easy to use one handed.

I will admit that without patches the Pre would not get it done for even me, a light user. But, there are patches, and the 800 kernel makes it even better.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by sweaner View Post
    I had the same decision to make about a month ago. I was still undecided on day 29, and picked up a friends Droid. I found it way too heavy/bulky. The Pre is light and easy to use one handed.

I will admit that without patches the Pre would not get it done for even me, a light user. But, there are patches, and the 800 kernel makes it even better.
    I am over the Droid as well, but the N1 should be out any day. That phone looks interesting overall.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Peterules View Post
    I am over the Droid as well, but the N1 should be out any day. That phone looks interesting overall.
    If you like Android OS and the iPhone form factor, then should be a good choice. But otherwise, Pre Plus!
    2G iPhone -> BB 8530 -> Pre Plus
    the n1 has a limited touch screen.
    iPhone 1gen august 2007- may 2010
    Repaired: headphone jack twice. Buttons and back cover once. Screen has a crack.

Palm Pre Plus may 2010-now

LOVE IT
    I remember when I had my "day" early in July. I chose to keep the Pre. Not long after that the HTC Hero came out and it had:
    • Widgets
    • Visual voicemail - the real thing
    • Video
    • 2 orders of magnitude apps more than the 30 that I had
    • Voice control
    • A battery that easily lasted a whole day w/out needing a recharge

And for a while I really regretted the decision to stay w/the Pre. But since the Pre got 3d games and video, I've regretted it a lot less. I think your decision is a lot easier than the one that I had on my day. And on that day, I think I made the wrong one. Today, I'm glad I stuck with the Pre. IMHO it's currently the best phone available on Sprint.

That said, I will probably bolt for the EVO 4G when it comes out.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    LOL... I say let him go and get a iphone. he'll be back after he notice there's a charge for everything... he'll have to pay monthly for his gps that he needs so much and he will never be able to experience flash. Also if he needs a wifi connection he'll have to continue to pay that 60 bucks on top of all the things he is going to be getting charged for unless he wants to just search for that free wifi at his local Mc Donalds or Starbucks on his on his new handy gps app that he'll be paying so much money for each month...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast