1.    #1  
    Let me first say that I did several searches and couldn't find a thread to help me out. I'm sure they exist, I must not be putting in the correct search terms.

My phone updated to 1.4.1.1 before I could remove any patches. The device actually works fine but I now have two patches that will not go away. I have had the capture with volume keys patch in Preware for over a month. Can't update / remove it. Now there is another one that has the same issue.

I have a day 1 Pre that has been hack n' patched quite a bit and I'm sure a trip to the doctor wouldn't hurt.

I don't care about my music or photos (can just usb them to my PC if I need). I'm am mostly concerned about my contacts and slightly curious about purchased apps.

What do I need to do to insure my phone / palm profile is backed up and what else should I expect to do / experience from a trip to the doctor.

Thanks.
    Your contacts are backed up into your Palm Profile, so are your apps. Doctor doesnt deleted your USB files. it only reformats the OS of the phone. Sort of like reinstalling the same OS over again. What you can do before that is go on Preware and click update feeds in the upper left corner and then close Preware. Open again and see if the patches are in preware , so you can delete them. I know exactly what you are talking about. I have the same problem too, but i dont want to doctor my phone lol. It seems like the patches are now part of the OS. You cant delete them because they dont even appear, but you know they are there. You just cant get rid of them...i understand.
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    You can also try to run EPR (emergency patch recovery?) from Preware before doctoring. That's supposed to do a good job of removing patches, has helped me remove some stubborn patches before.
    Quote Originally Posted by sakasune View Post
    You can also try to run EPR (emergency patch recovery?) from Preware before doctoring. That's supposed to do a good job of removing patches, has helped me remove some stubborn patches before.
    Didnt help me. I think the patches were pretty much burned into WebOs.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    You cant delete them because they dont even appear, but you know they are there. You just cant get rid of them...i understand.
    Yeah that is the primary motivation for the doctor. It's not that big of a deal, it really only annoys me when I got to update apps / patches. Preware is nice enough to do them all in one shot but those persistent ghost patches cause it to fail.

Quote Originally Posted by sakasune View Post
    As stated above EPR didn't do the job. I'm fairly certain I could go into terminal and make it happen but if doctoring your phone is that non-invasive I imagine it would be quicker.

Wish I had brought my USB cable on campus today, I'd just do it right now.

Thanks for the info.
    All of your palm apps will have their data restored from backup. Other apps, its hit or miss. For example, many games will lose their settings (hope you aren't very far along in Need for Speed or Castle of Magic, for example).

If you are using google as your primary address book, you'll have to re-add pictures of contacts, since they will be the tiny thumbnail that google uses instead of the full-sized one after the restore.
    Have you tried to remove them with Webos Quick Install? I had the same issue a while back after an update. I used WOSQI Device Management to to unistall the stubborn patches and it removed them. Give it a try.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    Have you tried to remove them with Webos Quick Install? I had the same issue a while back after an update. I used WOSQI Device Management to to unistall the stubborn patches and it removed them. Give it a try.
    Yeah I have, I get the same error that I get in Preware. basically is says the directory doesn't exist and there is no such file when looking for the patch.

On a side note, what version of the doctor should I use and where can I find the latest. I did a good search and a search on palms website.
    Quote Originally Posted by thatwilsonguy View Post
    Yeah I have, I get the same error that I get in Preware. basically is says the directory doesn't exist and there is no such file when looking for the patch.

On a side note, what version of the doctor should I use and where can I find the latest. I did a good search and a search on palms website.
    check the links from webOSQI....it reguires files from webOSDoctor so there's always a link to the Sprint and Vzw versions on the thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    It seems like the patches are now part of the OS. You cant delete them because they dont even appear, but you know they are there. You just cant get rid of them...i understand.
    The problem from what I'm seeing is that:
    A. There's a database that tracks patches you've installed and removed that can be corrupted, causing the patch to still be "registered" with Preware.
    B. Leftover files from script operations that failed to run with full success flag a patch as still installed - even if those files are no longer able to be accessed by the unpatched app, and thus, are essentially harmless.
    C. Whole patch directory systems exist as backups in locations that are quite removed from the location that they are to be applied and are never removed, and some reference to them remains elsewhere that causes Luna / IPKG Service to believe that they are still intact somehow.
    D. The MD5 hash or filedate of a file has changed due to a partial patch, but one or more of the above conditions was not completed.

What I'd like to see is simple breakdown that enumerates all of these conventions, or a utility/ script that allows one to "hunt down" these more obscure references (symbolic lynks, db entries, whatnot..) in the file system and manually delete them.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2pint View Post
    The problem from what I'm seeing is that:
    A. There's a database that tracks patches you've installed and removed that can be corrupted, causing the patch to still be "registered" with Preware.
    B. Leftover files from script operations that failed to run with full success flag a patch as still installed - even if those files are no longer able to be accessed by the unpatched app, and thus, are essentially harmless.
    C. Whole patch directory systems exist as backups in locations that are quite removed from the location that they are to be applied and are never removed, and some reference to them remains elsewhere that causes Luna / IPKG Service to believe that they are still intact somehow.
    D. The MD5 hash or filedate of a file has changed due to a partial patch, but one or more of the above conditions was not completed.

What I'd like to see is simple breakdown that enumerates all of these conventions, or a utility/ script that allows one to "hunt down" these more obscure references (symbolic lynks, db entries, whatnot..) in the file system and manually delete them.
    +1

I'm having the same issue with the SMS Tone per Contact patch. The Capture with volume keys patch is updated but doesn't work.

I've doctor my phone twice already and don't wish to do so again if I don't have to.

So for now as long as these problem patches don't affect the operation of my Pre, I'm just gonna leave them as they are.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    The two Patches I can't remove are: "Call History During Call" and "No Alert During Call"

I really do not want to doctor the dang thang, but I think that's my only hope.
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Why wouldn't doctoring work in getting rid of these patch problems? I thought it completely wipes the os.. I have this issue with the sms patch and was considering doctoring, but if it isn't going to work I don't want to go through it..
    Why dont you try using the repair utility with override mode on. worth a shot before a dr. visit.